Images with Sigma L mount cameras

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 hours ago, Alan Friedman said:

Meschutt Beach, Hampton Bays, NY.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

full size crop of the caddy fly...

The Sigma fp-L + VM apo-lanthar 50 have become my main walk around combination. 

These images make me want to buy this combo, they look amazing.

What other m lenses do you like using with the fp-L?

• Like 2

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Daedalus2000 said:

These images make me want to buy this combo, they look amazing.

What other m lenses do you like using with the fp-L?

Many thanks. The fp-L, like the Leica SL, is adaptable to pretty much any lens in your collection. Your favorite Leica M glass will be well suited. At home I've experimented with just about everything I've accumulated over 40 years of shooting. For travel, my current bag is small and I am filling it with two bodies  - Sigma fp-L with EVF and Sigma fp with Sigma 24 mounted - 3 M mount lenses - VM apo-lanthar 35 and 50, summilux asph 50 - and one longer lens, choosing between the elmarit-M 90, Sigma 85 1.4 or Leica apo macro-elmarit 100. At the moment, I am reaching for the fp-L + apo-lanthar 50 much of the time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alan Friedman said:

Many thanks. The fp-L, like the Leica SL, is adaptable to pretty much any lens in your collection. Your favorite Leica M glass will be well suited. At home I've experimented with just about everything I've accumulated over 40 years of shooting. For travel, my current bag is small and I am filling it with two bodies  - Sigma fp-L with EVF and Sigma fp with Sigma 24 mounted - 3 M mount lenses - VM apo-lanthar 35 and 50, summilux asph 50 - and one longer lens, choosing between the elmarit-M 90, Sigma 85 1.4 or Leica apo macro-elmarit 100. At the moment, I am reaching for the fp-L + apo-lanthar 50 much of the time. 

I think I have decided to give it a go with the FP or FP-L as an alternative to my SL2. I do mainly photography, and I am struggling to decide if I should pay more for the fp-L... Part of me feels that 24mp is enough and will work better with m lenses, but another part of me feels fp-L is a better model with (potentially) better AF and I can get the evf... I worry about the lack of stabilization and any effects of the electronic shutter and if these potential issues are more of a problem with the fp-L...

9 minutes ago, Daedalus2000 said:

I think I have decided to give it a go with the FP or FP-L as an alternative to my SL2. I do mainly photography, and I am struggling to decide if I should pay more for the fp-L... Part of me feels that 24mp is enough and will work better with m lenses, but another part of me feels fp-L is a better model with (potentially) better AF and I can get the evf... I worry about the lack of stabilization and any effects of the electronic shutter and if these potential issues are more of a problem with the fp-L...

Hard to choose - the two cameras are obviously very similar. The handling of noise at higher ISO settings is excellent in the fp - slightly better than the SL2-S I believe, based on studies. There is more noticeable trade-off with "grain" in the fp-L. I did update the firmware in the fp but I have not yet connected the EVF to that camera. The EVF (or its larger optical cousin) is an important accessory for shooting outdoors in sunlight. I've never had a camera with image stabilization so I don't miss it. The electronic shutter poses an issue shooting indoors in artificial light. Shooting in LED illumination at 1/60 pretty much negates the banding - 1/125 less so. I've not noticed the rolling shutter (I also use it for still photography). The resolution of the fp-L, along with a high resolution apo lens provides some interesting potential to get close to nature with a normal focal length. Either way, the fp is a nice lightweight alternative to the SL series for hikes or long walks.

• Like 5

Late swim...

Sigma fp + Sigma 24 f3.5 dg dn

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

A new lens arrived, this is with the 7Artisans 28mm f1.4. This was shot wide open at min. focus .7 meter this is a straight jpg. out of the standard fp all I did was crop a little empty space off the bottom of the picture. This was taken Wed. night as they were setting up for "flight nite" four half glasses of wine for 20.00 dollars. I also have a 28 Elmarit 2.8 but at the price of this lens why not have a 1.4 also.

Edited by agfa100
added more content
  • Like 11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/22/2021 at 7:28 PM, Alan Friedman said:

Meschutt Beach, Hampton Bays, NY.

full size crop of the caddy fly...

The Sigma fp-L + VM apo-lanthar 50 have become my main walk around combination. 

Nice set!

I'm just down the street from here til Labor Day myself, also shooting fpL/M10R with the VM APO 50, great combo

1 hour ago, steveBK said:

Nice set!

I'm just down the street from here til Labor Day myself, also shooting fpL/M10R with the VM APO 50, great combo

Thanks... I have a house on Old North Hwy. Wish I could get there more. Maybe again before Labor Day though outside season is my favorite.

• 2 weeks later...

Sigma fpL & 35/2

Milky Way / untracked tripod shot, going to do again with tracking and out on other side of bay to reduce light pollution further

https://www.flickr.com/photos/xx573v3xx/51362739399/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/xx573v3xx/51362006976/in/dateposted-public/

• Like 3

Got some meteors

fpL & VC 28/2 Ultron

https://www.flickr.com/photos/xx573v3xx/51377694001/in/dateposted-public/

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Recent FP purchase with 45 2.8 lens

• Like 9

I got myself a second hand fp, but I did not have the chance to use it much yet. Here is one of the first shots from a quick street photography session. I have to say I do like it. I wish it had  a viewfinder but anyway I will try to do the best I can... I like the tonality of the files but I need to work more with them.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Daedalus2000 said:

I got myself a second hand fp, but I did not have the chance to use it much yet. Here is one of the first shots from a quick street photography session. I have to say I do like it. I wish it had  a viewfinder but anyway I will try to do the best I can... I like the tonality of the files but I need to work more with them.

Nice photo!

I'm just an interloper here, but I agree completely about the fp's tonality. Something quite pleasing about its rendering. I prefer it to any Leica digital, except for that of the S.

Just now, bags27 said:

Nice photo!

I'm just an interloper here, but I agree completely about the fp's tonality. Something quite pleasing about its rendering. I prefer it to any Leica digital, except for that of the S.

Yes I agree. I look forward to exploring this little camera further and it makes me wonder if it is worth playing with the fp-L as well... I also agree about the S (I hope you mean the Leica S). I was just looking at some pics I exported to jpegs some time ago and I was think how fantastic they look and i had forgotten which camera it was... It was the S2-P...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daedalus2000 said:

Yes I agree. I look forward to exploring this little camera further and it makes me wonder if it is worth playing with the fp-L as well... I also agree about the S (I hope you mean the Leica S). I was just looking at some pics I exported to jpegs some time ago and I was think how fantastic they look and i had forgotten which camera it was... It was the S2-P...

Indeed. Probably at the very other end of the spectrum in size and weight from the fp, I bet. I can't possibly imagine carrying it around, so I content myself with photo envy.

• Like 1

• Like 8

Sigma fp + Leitz Summicron M 35/2 (IV version)

by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/89719759@N06/]serkol64[/url], on Flickr

Edited by Olaf W.
Link corrected (photo)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 6:54 PM, Daedalus2000 said:

Hello Kostas, have you tried your sigma with any TL lenses, if you still have any? And, how does it feel to shoot without an EVF but on screen!.... I am looking for an alternative  if, indeed, Leica ends the CL production as it has been rumored for a while!

Kind regards

Louis

5 hours ago, Louis said:

Hello Kostas, have you tried your sigma with any TL lenses, if you still have any? And, how does it feel to shoot without an EVF but on screen!.... I am looking for an alternative  if, indeed, Leica ends the CL production as it has been rumored for a while!

Kind regards

Louis

Hi Louis, great to hear from you, I hope you are well. 

I sold all my Leica TL lenses some time ago. I still have a sigma one but I have not tried it on the FP yet. The lack of EVF bothers me tbh, but on the other hand I can cope with it. At the moment I enjoy shooting with the FP, it has a nice feeling when I use it and the images are very nice, but I am thinking seriously of getting the EVF. The problem is that a) it is very expensive and b) it alters the aesthetics and shape of the camera, so I am still undecided. Overall my relationship with the FP is still a mixture of positive feelings in terms of haptics and image quality (also size of course), but frustration as well with the lack of EVF and the AF that is not as snappy as that of other cameras.

If you decide to use APS-C lenses with the FP it makes more sense to look at the FP-L as then you will have a good number of megapixels with the crop.

Another camera you should look at (but it is a bit heavier) is the Panasonic S5. Good image quality and good price.

All the best, K

• Like 1