Sticky shutter button on new MP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a brand new MP and to my dismay I've shot two rolls of film through it and at least one time during each roll the shutter button would get stuck in the down position which I could remedy by advancing the film or just wiggling it a bit.  I can't seem to reproduce this issue and plan to take it to the local Leica store here in Tokyo where I got the camera from - hoping it's a quick fix. I am using it with a Leica soft shutter release button. Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this before.

Also as a side question - my also brand new 35mm Summicron feels more loose on my MP than the M6 I've had for a while now. It's only a very slight wiggle when attached to the MP camera body - I am assuming this is normal but want to ask just in case.

The MP is one of the biggest purchases I've made and I want to feel 100% certain that everyone is functioning as it should - I travel full time and had a faulty laptop which took months to fix and deal with terrible customer service - I think it gave me PTSD in regards to buying new, expensive tech.

Thanks,

-Ivan

33 minutes ago, Landiah said:

I did - why would it affect the camera this way?

I have shutter releases on most of my cameras, film and digital, and  they have never caused a problem like yours.

Since your MP is new I would demand a replacement or a speedy repair at the very least.

Leica techs have reported occasional internal problems apparently caused by soft releases - possibly from allowing it to depress too deeply or apply too much force too deep. Some might be from an impact striking the raised button. 

6 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

Leica techs have reported occasional internal problems apparently caused by soft releases - possibly from allowing it to depress too deeply or apply too much force too deep. Some might be from an impact striking the raised button. 

I think it is also a similar situation to using a cable release that has too long a prong or ferrule. Press the cable release and it takes the photo but the internal shutter mechanism doesn't always spring back up. It doesn't damage the camera, as far as I know, just makes it annoying. It has always been the case and isn't limited to the MP, Leica's are finicky about things being screwed into them.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

I tried an Abrahamsson soft release on my MP a long time ago.  I hated the way it changed the feel of the release and  immediately binned the thing (the soft release, not the MP).   

Never had a problem with cable releases, other than an ability to lose them.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Landiah said:

I did - why would it affect the camera this way?

You are making the shutter button longer than it was intended to be so consequently you press it further/harder than was intended. This might cause problems especially on a metered M which has a 2 stage action. 

Try it without the 'soft release' and see if the shutter button sticks again. Work it a few times to loosen it up. If it sticks again you have to send it back. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Doc Henry said:

No soft release button for all my M-A, MP and M7 ,  they work perfectly 

Rg H 

Having tried a, so called, soft release once I feel that their only positive aspect is to make money for the producers of the same. But, of course, YMMV.

• Like 3

The only camera where I've found a soft release button helpful is my M5, as it needs a significantly deeper press of the button in order to first gradually swing the metering cell down from in front of the center of the film gate before it trips the shutter. Even then I used the smallest button I could find to avoid side-loading the release.

I’ve been using my MP without the soft release and I haven’t had any issues. Leica store that I got it from asked for me to bring it back for them to look at which I will do - just seems strange to me that this problem would occur especially with a Leica brand soft release. 

50 minutes ago, Landiah said:

I’ve been using my MP without the soft release and I haven’t had any issues. Leica store that I got it from asked for me to bring it back for them to look at which I will do - just seems strange to me that this problem would occur especially with a Leica brand soft release. 

Put it down to experience.  Soft releases are one example of those pieces of junk that no one needs until they think they need one.

• Like 2