S30mm vs S35mm

setuporg

I have both lenses.  I have had 35mm for over five years and it's my most used S lens, and I only have had 30mm for a short period of time. In terms of optical performance, I would say that they are very similar.  If you look at the MTFs of both lenses, you may conclude that 35mm maybe a bit better, but the very small differences could be attributed to the focal length differences.  Overall, their optical characteristics are pretty similar.  

• Like 1

Setuporg,  I had both at one time, but only found for my genre of photography the 30mm worked best for me.  As you are well aware, all the S lenses are superb.  In my case doing landscape photography with the S system, after trying most S lenses years ago, I found for me, the 24, 30, 45, 70, 120 and 180 worked best.  It will get down to whether or not you like the 30 (24mm in 35mm Format) or 35 (28mm in 35mm format).  For some reason, I have never been able to bond with the 35mm FL (S) or even in the M system.  I found over many decades of Leica experience and Leica Lunacy 🤪 that has no cure, it will get down to the lens that helps you be most creative and a bonding with the focal length.  Wish I could be of more help.  r/ Mark    

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/6/2019 at 3:23 AM, setuporg said:

The 30mm is the last lens I don't have. 

I had both and never carried both. I preferred the 35+70 combo to the 30+45+100 combo, the latter being too heavy despite being nominally more flexible.

But given the rather peculiar situation stated in the quotation above, I'll say what you need to hear: just buy it! ;) 

Edited by alan.y
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2019 at 7:23 PM, setuporg said:

The 30mm is the last lens I don't have.

Mine is currently with Leica getting a new Auto Focus Motor fitted (it didn't die; just a preventative measure). 👍

I've recently managed to get myself a second-hand 30-90mm so my 30mm Elmarit will be on eBay as soon as I receive it back from Leica...

• Like 1

I would say it depends really which focal length fits best in your bag.

The decision has to be different compared to M system because you really dont want to carr more than 3 S-lenses at a time for any longer hike.

In theory I find 24-45-70-180 interesting, but too much to carry.

30mm is not as smooth as 45mm lens, and not as interesting/dynamic as 24mm, but for many situation it can replace a 24 and 45 or 24 and 35.

In the end I have used the 30 more than the 35, and more than the 24, mainly because of this reason.

The 30 is a little heavier / longer than the 35.

• Like 1

Setuporg,  I found the S primes performed much better than the zoom.  When the S 30-90 zoom first appeared, I was hoping it would lighten my load.  I quickly found the early S zoom could be weak/decentered.  I owned two in the early days, but found the zoom optics would get soft in one corner or the other.  Most likely due to the challenging hiking, terrain and climates that I would encounter.  After both lenses made trips back to the mother ship, I decided that I could not risk hiking many miles and hope the zoom lens had not worked its way out of calibration.  So, I went with the primes and these have never needed calibration, only a couple of AF motors.  My most used S lenses are 30, 45 and then 24.  But everyone has a different perspective and genre of photography and so too "seeing" the photograph you are trying to create.  r/ Mark

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2019 at 2:23 PM, setuporg said:

The 30mm is the last lens I don't have.  I wonder how folks here use both 30mm and 35mm, for those who have them both...

I had a 35mm and sold it.  Also had a 24mm and sold it.  Now I have the 30mm and love it - it uses 82mm filters which work great with the Lee filter system. The larger filter size of the 24mm actually vignettes the image.  I have the 45mm which I also love, so the 30mm is just to close between them.  The benefit of the 35mm is that it has essentially no distortion.  The 30mm has some.  So, for people shots, the 35mm is probably better.  I use mine for mostly landscape, and the 30mm is great for that.  

Just my two cents.

Well I got the 30mm already, and my system is now complete!  Well, I only got one CS lens, but I do natural light anyways.  For a while I did not get the duplicate focal distances on the S full system family photos, until I realized they have both CS and non-CS versions for those lenses that come in both versions...  It feels deeply satisfying to have the complete range of primes for the S system.  It is not a fast-moving setup like the M or L mount, with multiple manufacturers, collectibles, silver, black paint, titanium, LHSA, Zeiss, and other versions.  Once you have it, you can play, compare, differentiate within the tools palette.  It is some of the most refined engineering accomplishments, without the need to hold one's breath for the great new lens always  coming up as in other forums (except the Q.:)

vor 31 Minuten schrieb setuporg:

Well I got the 30mm already, and my system is now complete!  Well, I only got one CS lens, but I do natural light anyways.  For a while I did not get the duplicate focal distances on the S full system family photos, until I realized they have both CS and non-CS versions for those lenses that come in both versions...  It feels deeply satisfying to have the complete range of primes for the S system.  It is not a fast-moving setup like the M or L mount, with multiple manufacturers, collectibles, silver, black paint, titanium, LHSA, Zeiss, and other versions.  Once you have it, you can play, compare, differentiate within the tools palette.  It is some of the most refined engineering accomplishments, without the need to hold one's breath for the great new lens always  coming up as in other forums (except the Q.:)

Which lenses you have? I already have the 70mm CS and the 120mm CS... Which you recommend?

I got all of the focal lengths, including the zoom, and recommend all of them!:). Briefly,

24 -- wide and beautiful.  Must have for landscapes/old towns
30,35,45 -- great primes, 35 the lightest/shortest/fastest of the three.  I always wonder what the other FOV would be like so had to get them all after all.
30-90 -- versatile, I have a great copy and enjoy it very much
70 -- the smallest walk-around, also got in CS for fun and use of that CS/FS lever
100 -- the fastest AF and fastest f-stop, 2.0, my low-light event lens
120 -- a great portrait and macro lens, smoothest bokeh
180 -- tele, good for the kids or lazy street photography from a cafe

Edited by setuporg
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jan1985 said:

Which lenses you have? I already have the 70mm CS and the 120mm CS... Which you recommend?

With the 70mm and 120 mm,  I would add the 24mm. It is that special.  

Coming from someone who just enjoys the S system for hobby . . . . If forced to rank the lenses , I'd have the S120 on top as my favorite as it is so very sharp and is great for portraits and landscapes. Beautiful bokeh.  So creamy .It also has macro ability too.

The 24, as mentioned, just is a cut above.

The S70 is most practical because of its size and focal length (and price). If one is to acquire just one S lens, this would be it.  The 100 is also the same physical size and is the fastest at F2, but probably used little less frequently than the S70mm would be used. 

The 30-35-45. I'd pick one based on your focal length preference. (I have only used the 35mm).

I'd love to acquire the zoom at some point. It would be nice to have that one lens for travel because of its versatility. (When I find one, I'd perhaps carry the zoom and leave the S35 and S70 at home).

The 180 is much like the S120, but I opt to use that focal length less frequently than the others.  Rob

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb setuporg:

I got all of the focal lengths, including the zoom, and recommend all of them!:). Briefly,

24 -- wide and beautiful.  Must have for landscapes/old towns
30,35,45 -- great primes, 35 the lightest/shortest/fastest of the three.  I always wonder what the other FOV would be like so had to get them all after all.
30-90 -- versatile, I have a great copy and enjoy it very much
70 -- the smallest walk-around, also got in CS for fun and use of that CS/FS lever
100 -- the fastest AF and fastest f-stop, 2.0, my low-light event lens
120 -- a great portrait and macro lens, smoothest bokeh
180 -- tele, good for the kids or lazy street photography from a cafe

Thanks for your great description. Actually I think about if I buy a new S lens or a new M lens. M lenses i have the Nocti 0.95 and 50mm APO. My S007 is in repair for the rubber of the grip replacement. Maybe a wider lens for the S would make more sense.

1 minute ago, Jan1985 said:

Thanks for your great description. Actually I think about if I buy a new S lens or a new M lens. M lenses i have the Nocti 0.95 and 50mm APO. My S007 is in repair for the rubber of the grip replacement. Maybe a wider lens for the S would make more sense.

If you have an SL (which accommodates your M lenses),  perhaps consider the S to L adapter, and your S lenses can be used on your SL. (I'm quite happy using mine that way). Of the wide S lenses, the S35 seems to be the most economical (and will give you 28mm on the S and 35mm on the SL).