Sign in to follow this  
Einst_Stein

EVF for iPhone? EVF defeats touch screen only TL?

No. There was no space in the design. 

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Einst_Stein:

TL is designed with buttonless touch screen only. (Almost).

Is this why Leica did not put in a built in EVF?

No. As far as I know the sturdy aluminium body is not suited for WIFI, which works through the external non-aluminium EVF. I may be mistaken, though.

Edited by EUSe

I would guess the interface and lack of EVF go together - leaving out the EVF allowed them to make it small and neat. I remember before the CL came out there was speculation about how it could be done, and the CL was found to have an EVF hump; it compromises the clean lines, but keeps the package small.

A touchscreen does not work well when the camera is at your eye: you cannot easily change modes, get at the menus, play images etc. Conversely if you have buttons for these functions the screen might have to be smaller. There are probably ways of making the two approaches work together, but they wouldn't be comfortable. I have the EVF for the TL2 but never use it for this reason - yes, I can make it work, but it doesn't feel right. If Leica ever make a TL3 with built-in EVF I suspect that beautifully clear and simple interface might be compromised (perhaps acceptably so - let's see if it happens).

I don't know where wifi comes into this. The TL2 works with wifi as well/badly as the CL and SL in my experience.

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I would guess the interface and lack of EVF go together - leaving out the EVF allowed them to make it small and neat. I remember before the CL came out there was speculation about how it could be done, and the CL was found to have an EVF hump; it compromises the clean lines, but keeps the package small.

A touchscreen does not work well when the camera is at your eye: you cannot easily change modes, get at the menus, play images etc. Conversely if you have buttons for these functions the screen might have to be smaller. There are probably ways of making the two approaches work together, but they wouldn't be comfortable. I have the EVF for the TL2 but never use it for this reason - yes, I can make it work, but it doesn't feel right. If Leica ever make a TL3 with built-in EVF I suspect that beautifully clear and simple interface might be compromised (perhaps acceptably so - let's see if it happens).

I don't know where wifi comes into this. The TL2 works with wifi as well/badly as the CL and SL in my experience.

This is also my thought.  Although I found the EVF almost unavoidable with TL, it takes some practice to get used to it since finding the right position to touch is a little tricky when in the eye viewing position.

The size issue is another one, making the TL body taller should solve it, whether people like it or not is different story.