I hate my Q2

I’ve been thinking about your problem. Why not go out and make some photos with your new Q. From what I understand the Q2 makes beautiful images. 
I’m sure Leica will help you sort out the problems with the WiFi. They have a vested interest in pleasing their customers.

Edited by Jeffry Abt
  • Like 3

Sorry to ask.. Obviously to have the best of your camera you shoot raw.

What would you use WiFi for, as you don't really need it to shoot pictures?

Is it to transfer your photos? They are 80+Mo files.. We've seen better ways to import files such as a card reader. Is it to have a remote control? It usually works well, maybe you want to make sure you launch Fotos once your camera setting is properly done?

If you tell us a bit more someone might be able to help?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TeeDiddy said:

Simply stated, the poor functionality of the WiFi makes me hate this camera. 

I simply cant believe has put out such a crap product. They should be ashamed of themselves. I am so disappointed.

I’m sorry, but in this case WIFi is a minor aspect of the camera functionality. It can act as a remote trigger when the camera is on a tripod or to transfer the odd Jpg to social media on your phone, ( which as such is much better suited for the purpose. )  What else should you want to do?  And as I understand those functions work. 
The purpose of this camera is to take high quality reportage type photographs which can best be transferred to a high-end computers editing system by a card reader. 
Your post suggests to me that you are trying to use the camera outside its design envelope. Correct me if I am mistaken. 

• Like 3

I never use WiFi on any camera, whatever the brand. They all suck. 

Buy a smartphone and leave the Q2 alone. 

Or buy an SD card to Lightning adapter if you use a iPhone. Or a SD card to USB-C if you came from Android world

If you want to improve WiFi, just shoot DNG+jpg Jpg setting in small. Because moving uncompressed 47MP raw file over crappy WiFi will take you while. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I don use wifi in my Q2 myself, but I still think the OP can expect that ALL functions of the camera do work properly - including WIfi (if Leica offers it and promotes it as a function it should work), specially for the price. If Leica cant make sure it works, they should rather not even offer the function.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, TeeDiddy said:

Simply stated, the poor functionality of the WiFi makes me hate this camera. 

I simply cant believe has put out such a crap product. They should be ashamed of themselves. I am so disappointed.

The Photos app is a creaky solution, I just do not use it AT ALL: I take the SD card out, put it in my computer and read the photos in. I have no interest at all in the app, tried it sometimes to see what it does, but I do not have it in my workflow at all. The Q is a superproduct to get superphotos.

The point is that it appears to work properly, at  least for a number of users, but in a limited fashion, within the limits of the design aims. 

The problem is to find out why other users are struggling, and whether some expectations are too high (like, for instance, transferring huge raw files)

I can understand the OP's frustration but like most have posted, have learned to work around it. It was only recently that I managed to get the new Fotos app to work by first deleting the old app and its attempted wifi connections from my phone.

It would be nice if Leica had spent a bit more time testing and explaining to their customers a proper procedure to make the feature work.  What may work on an iPhone might be different from android.

Sure, it's a great camera and the wifi feature shouldn't really be a deal breaker but lets compare it to some other expensive item say for instance a new car. You wouldn't be happy with your new car if the power windows didn't work even though you could still drive it.🤔

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Siriusone59 said:

Sure, it's a great camera and the wifi feature shouldn't really be a deal breaker but lets compare it to some other expensive item say for instance a new car. You wouldn't be happy with your new car if the power windows didn't work even though you could still drive it.🤔

I absolutely agree with this...

What one does is take the car back to the dealer and say, “Fix it!.” .
But, nevertheless, focus on what made you buy the car in the first place.
I use the Fhotos app with my M10; it works well enough for me.  Should Leica put more effort into this functionality?  Yes! 

My general impression is they are doing this.

But the Q2 is not a Crap product!

Edited by Jeffry Abt
  • Like 2

I’ve mostly moved FOTOS to the side. It was never a big part of my Q2 use model and now is essentially zero. It somewhat reminds me of being a novelty and I fear is treated that way in Leica R&D. I’ve probably read more complaints about FOTOS and perhaps the battery price / availability than anything. Maybe Leica will get the message about the frustration. Still, I just keep on loving my Q2

• Like 3

There is no perfect camera but the Leica Q2 right now is coming to close for me, it's by far the best camera I've ever owned - all it's limitations included.

In the past I've shelled out 4-13k for Leica Summilux/Noctilux lenses - now, for the price of a single lens I have this all-in-one weapon available to me, I've been getting the desired Leica look and beyond with the increased resolution over my old M9 and M.

If the good isn't overwhelmingly outweighing the bad (as I feel many Q2 owners on this forum would fall into that category) then you have purchased the wrong camera and should sell it asap while demand is still high and stock is somewhat scarce. No harm, no foul.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

I’ve mostly moved FOTOS to the side. It was never a big part of my Q2 use model and now is essentially zero. It somewhat reminds me of being a novelty and I fear is treated that way in Leica R&D. I’ve probably read more complaints about FOTOS and perhaps the battery price / availability than anything. Maybe Leica will get the message about the frustration. Still, I just keep on loving my Q2. 

i agree

even with the smaller sized files on the Q--- the Fotos app is deficient.  I used it once to see its capabilities and once i saw them-- deleted the app from my phone.

as mentioned above if you are using it to transfer files to your ipad/iphone-- get the apple lightning connector  and move on.  It is *much*  faster and much less frustrating.

I was glad to finally have Fotos working for nothing other than remote shutter.  Didn't care at all about file transfer although I can see where it could be useful.  Never understood why Leica left off a cable release socket on a camera with a macro setting.🤨  Self timer firing was getting to be a bit of a hassle.

I believe that once the OP uses the camera more and appreciates its capabilities their tune will change from the original post that appears to be more out of frustration.  Something I can relate to with the difficulties I was having with the original app and even the Fotos app when first installed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jaapv said:

I’m sorry, but in this case WIFi is a minor aspect of the camera functionality. It can act as a remote trigger when the camera is on a tripod or to transfer the odd Jpg to social media on your phone, ( which as such is much better suited for the purpose. )  What else should you want to do?  And as I understand those functions work. 
The purpose of this camera is to take high quality reportage type photographs which can best be transferred to a high-end computers editing system by a card reader. 
Your post suggests to me that you are trying to use the camera outside its design envelope. Correct me if I am mistaken. 

I'm 100% in agreement with jaapv on the above.

JMHO, but WiFi is not the be all and end all of any camera, sensor or lens; image quality is - which is why I ordered a Q2 in the first place.

I wanted a high performance back up to my M-P 240 kit that would give me incredible image quality for making prints.  The Q2 is all that and more, based on the vast majority of user reports and online reviews.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

Because of threads like this I am not posting on this website anymore... Provocative, emotional posts making grand statements about silly things... If you are disappointed why don't you sell your camera and go back to your old equipment? What are you trying to get with this post? Everyone here knows that the WiFi app is a piece of $&%... If WiFi is the main reason you bought your camera, why didn't you buy a router instead?

Edited by zampelis
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1