ABLON replacement

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is such a hassle cutting film for my iiif using a cardboard template and I am loath to pay collector's prices for what, to me, is just a tool. Does anybody know about somebody who might be selling affordable copies?

Just keep care to avoid cutting sprocket holes. It doesn't matter if you cut straight from the the narrow end or with an "Ablon curve".

P.S.: The Ablon or any other device to cut the film's end was important during times when film came in non ready-made quantities. They cut it at a 90 degrees angle, which was not good for the camera. Modern film spools starts with a narrow end and goes wider later. So if you do not cut your film at all, I think the screwmount Leica won't have much problems. The Ablon-cut is more ore less the cut of modern films. If you want to go sure, you cut the end in a way that goes smoother from narrow to wide.  It is a hassle of 5 seconds. 

Edited by UliWer
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There's this thing from Korea: 

.. also pictured here: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/prinz-film-cutting-template-leica-1721512731

The only problem LTM Leicas have with film not cut to specifications (that I know of) is that the sprockets of the capstan collide with the edge of the film. By carefully inserting the film, you can slip the edge past the sprockets, and all will be fine. You also could insert a thin calling card or something at this place before inserting the film. I think it was Wilson who mentioned this some time ago.

• Thanks 1

You can see the "problem" here:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Of course this no screw-mount Leica but a Contax from which you can take off the back to watch what happens, whilst you go "blind" with the Leica. Though the system is the same: The film must be fixed (squeezed under the spring of the Leica spool) but it does not catch the sprockets of the device to advance the film immediately. Cutting the end gives the film's lower part more "time" to catch the sprockets before the upper parts also gets its chance. Without the cut you run the risk that neither sprocket will find its proper hole. Though as you advance the film slowly and each turn tightens it, the chance that everything goes well will be not bad. The system is not completely safe though it has worked a million times since it was invented.   

Edited by UliWer
  • Thanks 1

I have an ABLON, but it is a PITA to use. I just do it freehand with a scissors leaving one or two sprocket holes exposed at the top. Not always the exact same cut every time, but it works every time. I try to avoid a cut through a sprocket hole, as mentioned above.

William

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, UliWer said:

Just keep care to avoid cutting sprocket holes. It doesn't matter if you cut straight from the the narrow end or with an "Ablon curve".

P.S.: The Ablon or any other device to cut the film's end was important during times when film came in non ready-made quantities. They cut it at a 90 degrees angle, which was not good for the camera. Modern film spools starts with a narrow end and goes wider later. So if you do not cut your film at all, I think the screwmount Leica won't have much problems. The Ablon-cut is more ore less the cut of modern films. If you want to go sure, you cut the end in a way that goes smoother from narrow to wide.  It is a hassle of 5 seconds. 

I disagree with being able to use the modern films with the smaller tongue. It is not only the sprockets that can jam your film but also as you slide the  Modern film into the IIIf, it will jam at the focal plane area. This is not a jam that is easy to clear. Now if you slide the film in so it is not bend it all will be well but this also is not easy. Often there is a small bend as the two film holders do not go in evenly. When this happens, the film is bent and it will definitely jam. THEREFOR DO CUT THE FILM SO THERE IS A LONG TONGUE BEFORE LOADING YOUR CAMERA.

I have always trimmed the leaders with scissors freehand, never had any problem - I draw the film out so it's long enough to feed into the take up spool and trim off the rest. As long as you don't cut through a sprocket hole it's fine. They don't always look neat but that doesn't matter.

The trimming devices are meant to be used with a special blade to draw along the film to cut it. Using one with scissors is going to be awkward I think.

47 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

The trimming devices are meant to be used with a special blade to draw along the film to cut it. Using one with scissors is going to be awkward I think.

Some Leica users have easy access to scalpels.

• Haha 1

As I said in a previous discussion on this subject, I made a simple aluminium cutting template 40+ years ago that I still use. Any material will do so long as the blade you use to cut the film does not cut into the template to damage it.

on the original ABLON the other end with the V shape is to cut the point to slot into the cassette spool. But I have never needed that as a simple trim is all I use on the film end coming out of my Watson loader to fit into the spool gripper, or a flat end to tape on if the gripper does not work.

i always use this template on films used in screw Leicas, but I don’t think it is necessary on M cameras as you can see if the film is sitting correctly on both sprocket wheels. As for when to trim the leader, I do it after loading a batch of cassettes, which may be some months before the last one is used.

i keep the piece of film cut off and use it to test print fixer, you can see how fast it fixes out as an induction of whether the fixer is getting exhausted.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Pyrogallol
  • Like 5

The V-shaped blade for cutting the film with the ABLON is the ABCOO.

I simply use the tiny but sharp blade from my Leica Victorinox Swiss Army knife while the film is held captive in the ABLON (or Prinz in my case) and it's always been very easy but any blade will do.  I would only use scissors after drawing an outline onto the film with the ABLON.

When I don't have my ABLON/Prinz with me I freehand cut with scissors and on one occasion when I'd forgotten my PRINZ and scissors I was able to rip the film with my fingers.  Needs must. 😄

Pete.

• Like 1