Leica Q2 images, Post them here !

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15

Minerva, Belgian made cars till the fifties in the previous century. Nice logo. 

• Like 7

This building is on the Anacostia river. Immediately to the left is National's stadium. The building was built to be a theater, but is surrounded by DC Water facilities. So the theater never happened. Don't know what it is being used for.

An interesting feature of the building is that due to its peanut shape, the building reflects an image of itself. You can see this image as a cylindrical region in the center of the building. Due to its shape, it is acting like a shaped mirror with a focus point in its center.

• Like 5

Just south of Alexandria Virginia is Dyke Marsh. It is one to two remaining freshwater tidal wetlands remaining in the Washington DC area. I can be at the park in 15 minutes from my apartment in DC. 

This photo looks different from what I was actually observing. A feature I like about the Q2 is the ability to easily change the exposure compensation. So what I did was dialed in a compensation which showed the color of the sky. I love clouds and I am always looking up when outside. These clouds are a treat since there are no jet contrails. These are natural clouds with no human made alterations. They have a softness and variation of contrast which is delightful. 

• Like 6

Dyke Marsh in Alexandria Virginia and on the Potomac river.

• Like 7

The beaches on Harris are always this crowded . . . .

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everybody!

My " boss" got a LEICA Q2 some weeks ago. I am very happy of his choice 🙂 

By the way my name is NEKO.

See you....

Edited by CoolPixeler
  • Like 12

A lady sketching.

• Like 1

Posted in the Barnack January Challenge. Today was a day to try bird photography using the Leica Q2 and the FOTOS App. I sat the camera on a tripod in my yard and waited for the birds to come to the food. I could adjust focus with the FOTOS app. It did sometimes disconnect which was annoying, but I was sitting in my kitchen watching through a window so the signal my have been weak due to that. It mostly worked albeit with some challenges for sure. 1/320, f/4.5, ISO 100. Steller's Jay feeding on corn and peanuts in our yard. 

• Like 16

A mother and daughter

• Like 5

National Gallery of Art

• Joshua Commanding the Sun to Stand Still upon Gibeon
  • Oil on canvas, 1816
  • John Martin
  • British, 1789-1854

Below is a photo of this painting that I made. I used Lightroom to bring the painting alive. Of course this is my personal interpretation, but if you compare what I did to the original, it makes sense that you can actually see the details of the original painting. I include a picture of the painting that the gallery makes available to anyone to use for any purpose. This image is in the public domain and has no copy rights according to the gallery. My photo is first and the downloaded gallery photo is second.

• Like 5

Here is a comparison of a "High Resolution suitable for publication" image from the National Gallery of Art side by side with a portion of an image from the Q2 modified in Lightroom. Both images were snipped and placed side by side. I only chose a portion of the image to show in order to display details. The Q2 photo was not at 100% since it would have shown much more detail than the Gallery photo.

The Q2 image is high quality and allows the fading of the original painting to be reversed through the use of simple photographic edits of a high quality photograph. To me the difference is quite dramatic. I understand that the Gallery has to provide an image based on the current condition of the painting.

• Like 4

I know I am beating this to death, but I thought I'd see how much detail I could bring out of the painting at 100% crop. With this detailed work, many fine points in the painting become visible. For example, compare the soldiers coming out of the castle in the Gallery version above with this version. Also, the details of the building structures are dramatically improved. With this, you can get a sense of the work that the artist did and how much attention was paid to minute details. The original painting is quite large. I'd estimate from memory that it is 3 feet by 4 feet. 

• Like 1

The sun has a sunspot again. It's been quiet for many months. I looked today and found this one. Classified as #2757. Leica Q2, Swarovski ATS-80 spotting scope at 40X power. With an 18-stop solar filter. Monochrome.

• Like 15

They are coming!

• Like 7

A room with a view

5 image pano

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

They are coming!

A processing question for anyone who is willing to chime in.

The above post is a B&W JPG from the camera that was compressed using Adobe Elements so it would fit on the board.

I am generally very happy with the way the Q2 processes the B&W JPG.   I also have the picture in RAW from.  If I bring my RAW image into Elements I have been unable to reproduce the look/processing that was done on the in-camera conversion to B&W.   Instead I end up cropping if needed and just working with the JPG.  On the other hand when I want a color image I find that the in-camera conversion to JPG is not nearly as pleasing and I get a much better result working with the RAW file and using Elements to create the JPG.

Is there some way that I can port over the parameters for the JPG B&W conversion and still use my RAW image?  Can I get better JPGs from the camera?