Leica Q2 images, Post them here !

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/13/2021 at 10:35 PM, Orguy said:

Fumigatus: I hear you about the post processing. Can you learn to live with OOC?  I have been a photographer for 50 years (gasp) and have been using my Q2 for a couple of years. "Everyone" says you need to work with the raw images and process them with so and so a program. Well, I started out with Lightroom trying this and got annoyed with all the crap I had to learn. Consulted information: I found thousands of pages and Youtube videos to educate me. Yuk. I could, but sure didn't want to. When I looked at the jpgs straight out of the camera (OOC) I thought they looked great and were so much better than all the previous generations of photo gear I have used. Now I just resist people saying I need to PP the raw images to get the most flexibility and quality out of each image. I simply edit the jpgs in Apple Photos to crop, straighten, lighten etc. when occasionally needed. That is more than enough to produce very satisfying results for me. I don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Enjoy this wonderful tool for its quality and simplicity and don't try to" embellish" your results for absolute ultimate perfection.

Thank you Orguy. I absolutely understand what you're saying. I really enjoyed taking photos as a young man with my M6. 35 mm film, and I even have some experience with "real" darkroom work. As mentioned, I lost interest with digitalization, but got a Leica X2 with Lightroom subscription almost 10 years ago. It never felt like a real camera to me (apologize to all X-users), and it took me so much time processing the images in Lightroom, I simply gave up. The few pictures I have taken over the last years have been edited in Apple Photos.

But the Q2 has brought back the joy, it really has, and I am very motivated these days. I even have time these days, home office "thanks to covid". As you know (at least where I live), the Q2 also comes with a three month LR subscription. But I hate the monthly payment request, and after some Googling, I have ended up with pay-once Luminar 4 editing tool. It works well for me. I remember many features from LR, but it also have some AI tools, and preset options, and I simply cheat without remorse 😉.

But anyway, I really appreciate your thoughts, and I will for sure enjoy this wonderful tool regardless of editing-tools to be used in the future.   

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Early Morning in the Ayrshire country side Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Black and White... Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Posted Images

I`m looking forward to bring my Q2 around, but it's unfortunately very challenging at the moment due to covid-restrictions. So I have been "forced" to stay at home for weeks now. Also, this time of year is not very colorful, more wet and dirty, and spring hasn't really set in. But soon, everything will become better... 

Just to keep the thread rolling, a house in my neighborhood. Q2 of course.  

Edited by fumigatus
8 minutes ago, trickness said:

I'd be interested to see what this image looked like straight out of the camera

Elle était comme cela ...

53 minutes ago, francipaq said:

Elle était comme cela ...

Is that really straight out of the camera? It looks like the skies have had added contrast, curves adjusted, the overall image looks very sharpened, and the saturation has been bumped.  

4 hours ago, trickness said:

Is that really straight out of the camera? It looks like the skies have had added contrast, curves adjusted, the overall image looks very sharpened, and the saturation has been bumped.  

Désolé, mais vous montrer un RAW n'a aucun intérêt et ne vous apportera pas beaucoup d'informations. 

Cette image couleur n'était pas destinée à être présentée comme telle, et sont traitement qu'elle a reçu l'a été en vue de virage au B&W.

Sachez en outre que le RAW de départ (sous-exposé volontairement pour pouvoir mieux le travailler par la suite) a peu de points communs avec la version finale (tiff et jpeg).

Le B&W a quant à lui nécessité un second développement (travail du contraste et de la lumière) pour mieux le préparer au travail particulier du monochrome (mélangeur de couches , notamment).

Mais, quel intérêt pour vous, sinon pour évoquer ici le travail que réalise tout photographe après la prise de vue ?  😉

Edited by francipaq
29 minutes ago, francipaq said:

Désolé, mais vous montrer un RAW n'a aucun intérêt et ne vous apportera pas beaucoup d'informations. 

Cette image couleur n'était pas destinée à être présentée comme telle, et sont traitement qu'elle a reçu l'a été en vue de virage au B&W.

Sachez en outre que le RAW de départ (sous-exposé volontairement pour pouvoir mieux le travailler par la suite) a peu de points communs avec la version finale (tiff et jpeg).

Le B&W a quant à lui nécessité un second développement (travail du contraste et de la lumière) pour mieux le préparer au travail particulier du monochrome (mélangeur de couches , notamment).

Mais, quel intérêt pour vous, sinon pour évoquer ici le travail que réalise tout photographe après la prise de vue ?  😉

As I mentioned in my original reply to you, it would be interesting to see the untouched image. I have a Q2M, and I find that the images are fairly flat out of the camera and require a lot of post processing. Therefore I thought it would be interesting to see what your particular photograph, which is quite dynamic as posted, looked like straight out of the camera. I am not debating that post processing is a valid part of the creative process. I’m just interested to see in your particular photograph where you started, given how successful the final image is.

3 hours ago, vikasmg said:

They are both so good.  Hard for me to say which one I like better!

9 hours ago, francipaq said:

Your black & white images are very powerful and distinctive. I can identify them without needing to see your name. Very impressive as always!

13 hours ago, Le Chef said:

Your black & white images are very powerful and distinctive. I can identify them without needing to see your name. Very impressive as always!

Thanks to you "The Chef" and "vikasmg": The color image is of limited interest to me, since it was thus prepared to be reworked in BW.
If I had intended to present it only in color, I would have saturated the colors a little less and reduced the contrasts.
Very warmly