Leica Q2 images, Post them here !

Vanishing pier

More of our week-end to the sea on https://www.flickr.com/photos/187869495@N03/albums/72157718626981056

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 16

Water under the pier

More of our week-end to the sea on https://www.flickr.com/photos/187869495@N03/albums/72157718626981056

• Like 6

Edited by Snooopy
  • Like 12

Edited by Matvej-a
  • Like 4

• Like 13

On 2/11/2021 at 5:48 PM, fumigatus said:

Hi everybody.

My very first post on this forum. Mostly because I am a photographer-newbie. Or having said that, as a young man with poor economy, I purchased my first Leica 25+ years ago (a crazy thing to do). M6, second-hand, and I really enjoyed it for years. But I didn't follow the digital revolution, and my interest in taking pictures somewhat hibernated. To my big surprise I recently realized that my old M6 was attractive for many, and I decided to sell it. Or more precisely, to substitute it with a Q2. Which I got it a few days ago. Alas, the feel is the same, the simplicity likewise, and the joy of taking pictures immediately returned. The backside of the medal has been to learn, or understand maybe, how to organize, store and use the to me new editing programs. A quite frustrating process to be honest. I decided to go for Luminar 4, supposedly super for beginners, but so far I am very hesitant with changing the images too much. And actually, with the Q2 it doesn't seem all that necessary. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to exploring the macro, F1,7, cropping possibilities etc

I took my daughter to her regular activity at the University of Sports in Oslo today, and I brought my new camera. These pictures are nothing special, and I am sure they could be edited better. But what a joy to revitalize an old hobby with a Q2. A truly amazing camera with great details. Early evening this is, -10C, handheld. First picture is Oslo seen from North.  

• Like 1

Fumigatus: I hear you about the post processing. Can you learn to live with OOC?  I have been a photographer for 50 years (gasp) and have been using my Q2 for a couple of years. "Everyone" says you need to work with the raw images and process them with so and so a program. Well, I started out with Lightroom trying this and got annoyed with all the crap I had to learn. Consulted information: I found thousands of pages and Youtube videos to educate me. Yuk. I could, but sure didn't want to. When I looked at the jpgs straight out of the camera (OOC) I thought they looked great and were so much better than all the previous generations of photo gear I have used. Now I just resist people saying I need to PP the raw images to get the most flexibility and quality out of each image. I simply edit the jpgs in Apple Photos to crop, straighten, lighten etc. when occasionally needed. That is more than enough to produce very satisfying results for me. I don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Enjoy this wonderful tool for its quality and simplicity and don't try to" embellish" your results for absolute ultimate perfection.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I am very fascinated by the B&W images in this forum. My modest efforts from our neighborhood- Q2 in B&W mode. Criticism welcome.  

• Like 10

One more...

• Like 16

Cycling against the wind

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187869495@N03/

• Like 11

On 3/13/2021 at 10:35 PM, Orguy said:

Fumigatus: I hear you about the post processing. Can you learn to live with OOC?  I have been a photographer for 50 years (gasp) and have been using my Q2 for a couple of years. "Everyone" says you need to work with the raw images and process them with so and so a program. Well, I started out with Lightroom trying this and got annoyed with all the crap I had to learn. Consulted information: I found thousands of pages and Youtube videos to educate me. Yuk. I could, but sure didn't want to. When I looked at the jpgs straight out of the camera (OOC) I thought they looked great and were so much better than all the previous generations of photo gear I have used. Now I just resist people saying I need to PP the raw images to get the most flexibility and quality out of each image. I simply edit the jpgs in Apple Photos to crop, straighten, lighten etc. when occasionally needed. That is more than enough to produce very satisfying results for me. I don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Enjoy this wonderful tool for its quality and simplicity and don't try to" embellish" your results for absolute ultimate perfection.

Thank you Orguy. I absolutely understand what you're saying. I really enjoyed taking photos as a young man with my M6. 35 mm film, and I even have some experience with "real" darkroom work. As mentioned, I lost interest with digitalization, but got a Leica X2 with Lightroom subscription almost 10 years ago. It never felt like a real camera to me (apologize to all X-users), and it took me so much time processing the images in Lightroom, I simply gave up. The few pictures I have taken over the last years have been edited in Apple Photos.

But the Q2 has brought back the joy, it really has, and I am very motivated these days. I even have time these days, home office "thanks to covid". As you know (at least where I live), the Q2 also comes with a three month LR subscription. But I hate the monthly payment request, and after some Googling, I have ended up with pay-once Luminar 4 editing tool. It works well for me. I remember many features from LR, but it also have some AI tools, and preset options, and I simply cheat without remorse 😉.

But anyway, I really appreciate your thoughts, and I will for sure enjoy this wonderful tool regardless of editing-tools to be used in the future.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1