The new Leica Milestone

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, otto.f said:

Have you thought about the possibility that you don’t understand the fysics underlying his reasoning?

I definitely don’t understand it but it is 100% jargon and over complicated. There are ways to explain things in a simpler way.

4 hours ago, Paulus said:

I worked a few years with Erwin. I don't believe there is any hint of insanity in his approach to testing. 

The books and tests he writes, are good enough for me and a lot of readers. Personally I do not understand all he writes, but that could be my own inadequacy in the matter. I also have difficulties understanding Einsteins Quantum Theory. 

For me, I would not call a person and his actions "close to insane"....of course it's a subjective opinion, but IMHO also disrespectful. 

Thanks for the reply, you are correct my statements were disrespectful. I haven’t personally met him or discussed these topics so I don’t know for fact they are correct they are just my assessments with the information I have available. I don’t have a lot of respect for how he’s gone about leaving and discussing it as he has.

If you worked for him for many years, you are obviously incredibly technical or surrounded by this content frequently and after all that time you still struggle to translate everything he wrote, the question I’ll ask is who is the intended target for these articles then? 

There is a term in the academic community called ‘alienating your audience’ it refers to writing something beyond the means of readability through excessive use of jargon, disregarding my personal opinion this is objectively a bad way to make content and craft writing. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lukedavidkellett said:

Thanks for the reply, you are correct my statements were disrespectful. I haven’t personally met him or discussed these topics so I don’t know for fact they are correct they are just my assessments with the information I have available. I don’t have a lot of respect for how he’s gone about leaving and discussing it as he has.

If you worked for him for many years, you are obviously incredibly technical or surrounded by this content frequently and after all that time you still struggle to translate everything he wrote, the question I’ll ask is who is the intended target for these articles then? 

There is a term in the academic community called ‘alienating your audience’ it refers to writing something beyond the means of readability through excessive use of jargon, disregarding my personal opinion this is objectively a bad way to make content and craft writing. 

I did not work for him, but with him.

You assume  something which is not the case IMHO. I am not incredibly technical. Maybe my diving is more technical, than my photography education. 

In diving we have a saying: " Assumption is the mother of all fuckups and then you might die: So measure what you have to measure and understand it, before risking your life!"

In the past Erwin did not understand certain things about the physics and mathematics of lenses. So he studied on an engineer level to understand. 

Maybe if you have problems understanding his language, study this language? 

I still not know exactly what Erwin meant with his last blog, but I do not respect him any less for it. I assume 😉 he has his reasons....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, lukedavidkellett said:

I definitely don’t understand it but it is 100% jargon and over complicated. There are ways to explain things in a simpler way.

Depends on the level of understanding of the person one is explaining to. 🙄

• Like 1

Puts’ Leica Compendium, which I still use quite frequently because I find it a very trustworthy reference work for the quality of lenses, contains no jargon whatsoever, at least nothing what has not been explained before. 

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, otto.f said:

Puts’ Leica Compendium, which I still use quite frequently because I find it a very trustworthy reference work for the quality of lenses, contains no jargon whatsoever, at least nothing what has not been explained before. 

Clearly I’ve touched a nerve with a few of you. That wasn’t my intention, I think this community is great.

But arguing that his work isn’t jargon is just a miss understanding of the word. It isn’t offensive just a descriptor. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lukedavidkellett said:

Clearly I’ve touched a nerve with a few of you. That wasn’t my intention, I think this community is great.

But arguing that his work isn’t jargon is just a miss understanding of the word. It isn’t offensive just a descriptor. 

But a wrong descriptor. Technical terms are not jargon, especially not if the author explains them clearly in the preceding chapters - as Erwin does. 

His blog articles are opinion pieces, which one may agree with or not. He seems a bit frozen in time, that is true. But not insane jargon.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jaapv said:

But a wrong descriptor. Technical terms are not jargon, especially not if the author explains them clearly in the preceding chapters - as Erwin does. 

His blog articles are opinion pieces, which one may agree with or not. He seems a bit frozen in time, that is true. But not insane jargon.

I’m not going to argue the puts point with you Jaapv i respect you as a moderator and someone who contributes a lot to this forum, I’ve said my peace and we disagree, but you are wrong about Jargon look in a dictionary or google it. 

special words or expressions used by a profession or group that are difficult for others to understand”

Edited by lukedavidkellett
  • Thanks 1

Guest BlackBarn

I’m with Lukedavidkellett on this one and simply don’t see the reasons why Erwin goes to great extent to present his over complex findings on what is of little value in the context of the whole. A bit like publishing research in  the physics of a ball - and as important as that is - it is of less relevance to the supporters of the sport the ball is being used. Sure as an example of an individuals self learning then you have to admire the guy but even how he presents his findings it is a bit frayed at the edges. For example in his mix of ‘scientific research’ and subjective statements...such as ‘ I do not have a Leica the ‘SL2 is too expensive bulky and heavy’ Quite a generalised statement from somebody who  would not have touched an SL2  at the date of the blog yet he is quite happy to dismiss it on non scientific grounds and use  a ‘similar’ camera as the basis for his scientific research. Or  suddenly adds generalised conclusions...’if you get out of hand, the actual resolution drops considerably, although with image stabilisation THIS WILL NOT BE SO BAD’

I’m no genius, I only manage a Masters in Science but I have read and continue to read a lot of research papers and there are methods  of communicating complex research to the non scientific community.  Erwin has to be applauded for what he has done however he has not yet incorporated flexibility of communication in his skill set and his mixing of subjective and objective content would be questioned in an academic environment  regardless of the validity and usefulness of his findings.

1 hour ago, lukedavidkellett said:

I’m not going to argue the puts point with you Jaapv i respect you as a moderator and someone who contributes a lot to this forum, I’ve said my peace and we disagree, but you are wrong about Jargon look in a dictionary or google it. 

special words or expressions used by a profession or group that are difficult for others to understand”

Unfortunately, they are not THAT difficult to understand, I find. Optics is a precise science and yes, the further one goes, the more technical it gets. But is that not valid for all human endeavour?
I don't know about you, but there are many well-regarded books on many subjects that I simply cannot understand for lack of basic knowledge. That does not prompt me to decry them as "jargon" or "insane". If I am interested enough I will start reading up on the subject, starting with the simple stuff,  until I DO understand them. 

• 2 weeks later...