The new Leica Milestone

Paulus

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Peter Kilmister:

@CroniluxSL2 announcement. That's it. 

Of course, wishful thinking, that the M 11 might be the milestone is now scattered. I'm very curious if all of you think this is a Milestone and in what way. For me, I did not like the ergonomics of the SL so I might have the same problems with the SL 2. I think the M 10 is an inspiring camera to hold. I cannot say the same of the SL2 IMHO although it might be a wonderful camera in general. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Matlock said:

Perhaps it is about time to close this thread. The "milestone" is not an M10 so end of story.

Agree…SL2 is duly covered elsewhere… B)  Nice camera anyway… as a M lover I wonder if one day they will be able to embed IBIS into a M package… could be a real significant feature for some next M.... ;) and suspect (no scientific pretention) that it makes lot of sense if the MPx count goes further on.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

On 11/1/2019 at 8:09 PM, Gregm61 said:

Puts is a putz. He took his toys and left the room pouting.

No missing trying to read 10,000 word, one paragraph manifestos for me...

I could not agree more! The guy has an interesting view on photography one that I don’t share, and I’m incredible interested technically but his work is close to insanity. 

On 11/1/2019 at 8:09 PM, Gregm61 said:

Puts is a putz. He took his toys and left the room pouting.

No missing trying to read 10,000 word, one paragraph manifestos for me...

I could not agree more! The guy has an interesting view on photography one that I don’t share, and I’m incredible interested technically but his work is close to insanity. 

The SL2 is a nice camera with several improvements compared to the SL.  Maybe this is not an accurate assessment of the SL2, but I think of it as a compact version of the S3.

Not having a diamond mine in my back yard (a hideous oversight on the part of The Fates), I will be sticking with the M system and Q2.

Edited by Herr Barnack

vor 5 Stunden schrieb lukedavidkellett:

Could you please explain, in what way his work is close to insanity? 

2 hours ago, Paulus said:

Could you please explain, in what way his work is close to insanity? 

Sure I’d be happy to. 

This is his latest article when he left. https://photo.imx.nl/blog/

I consider it a rant of technical jargon that serves no helpful purpose. He repeats this type of article and ‘discussion’ continuously. 

The definition of insanity is according to Albert Einstein I believe is: “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result” 

He basically holds the same non altering opinion or view point on the photographic industry (Leica) throughout his career without the ability to, adapt, change, consider other view points or more importantly provide value to the community or Leica outside of technical discussion that can only really be equated to math analysis. 

Math and science are important in photography, without them we wouldn’t have our craft, but they are tools to craft great images, you make a lens to help make great images not just create it to be mathematically perfect. 

Peter Karbe is a great example of someone who provides incredible math/science/technical outlook yet stays focused on the image and the final use. 

With all this being said it’s my subjective opinion not fact. I really dislike how he has gone about leaving and airing his dirty laundry. That is probably one of the reasons why I am being more critical than normal.

But seriously if you like that type of article I’d love to know why or what you get out of it? 

• Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb lukedavidkellett:

Sure I’d be happy to. 

This is his latest article when he left. https://photo.imx.nl/blog/

I consider it a rant of technical jargon that serves no helpful purpose. He repeats this type of article and ‘discussion’ continuously. 

The definition of insanity is according to Albert Einstein I believe is: “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result” 

He basically holds the same non altering opinion or view point on the photographic industry (Leica) throughout his career without the ability to, adapt, change, consider other view points or more importantly provide value to the community or Leica outside of technical discussion that can only really be equated to math analysis. 

Math and science are important in photography, without them we wouldn’t have our craft, but they are tools to craft great images, you make a lens to help make great images not just create it to be mathematically perfect. 

Peter Karbe is a great example of someone who provides incredible math/science/technical outlook yet stays focused on the image and the final use. 

With all this being said it’s my subjective opinion not fact. I really dislike how he has gone about leaving and airing his dirty laundry. That is probably one of the reasons why I am being more critical than normal.

But seriously if you like that type of article I’d love to know why or what you get out of it? 

I worked a few years with Erwin. I don't believe there is any hint of insanity in his approach to testing. 

The books and tests he writes, are good enough for me and a lot of readers. Personally I do not understand all he writes, but that could be my own inadequacy in the matter. I also have difficulties understanding Einsteins Quantum Theory. 

For me, I would not call a person and his actions "close to insane"....of course it's a subjective opinion, but IMHO also disrespectful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The technical specifications of the SL2 are quite wonderful and interesting, to me. I may not be able to justify buying deeply into the SL system, but the SL2 may be a good way to use my Leica-R lenses, some of my Leica-M lenses, and perhaps some of my SLR lenses, with adapters, on a camera body with some very interesting capabilities.

Or, I may never buy any Leica camera other than M-Mount. Regardless, I am glad to know that such a wonderful beast as the SL2 exists, and wish/hope for great success of the SL line. A healthy SL line helps the entire Leica enterprise remain healthy.