The new Leica Milestone

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Earlier reports also suggested an updated SL lens roadmap.  That would help.

But the anticipated S3 is now listed on the Leica site as Spring, 2020.  Some speculate the delay might allow for the incorporation of the Maestro III processor, which would be an improvement from the disclosed specs at last year’s Photokina.

Jeff

I heard it's a lower res version of the M10-D that creates images with a more vintage look and feel. It uses physical storage devices with limited storage space, that require extra processing before viewing the images. The rumor is, it will have a functional advance lever instead of just a thumb rest like the current M10-D. 

• Haha 1

On 11/1/2019 at 2:27 AM, Paulus said:

I hope the new Milestone presented by Leica bei Meister the 6th November will be the M11, but.. reading recent " changes in Leica view " according to Erwin Puts, I have some doubts....

I don't know what the new Milestone presented by Leica bei Meister is for the M11. Personally I would like to see a built-in EVF with peaking to replace the rangefinder (providing the peaking technology is equal or better than the rangefinder).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, ChicagoMatthew said:

I heard it's a lower res version of the M10-D that creates images with a more vintage look and feel. It uses physical storage devices with limited storage space, that require extra processing before viewing the images. The rumor is, it will have a functional advance lever instead of just a thumb rest like the current M10-D. 

And when you want to change ISO you need to insert another storage device with the corresponding ISO value. In addition, there are special procedures to follow when changing storage devices that are partially filled.

But an M7-style, manually cocked shutter would be nice in a digital body. Just dreaming....

2 hours ago, jeff.clegg said:

I don't know what the new Milestone presented by Leica bei Meister is for the M11. Personally I would like to see a built-in EVF with peaking to replace the rangefinder (providing the peaking technology is equal or better than the rangefinder).

For you. For me I don't need it for free, because it is nowhere near optical VF/RF.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 6:22 PM, Boojay said:

the SL2, the hopes, dreams, expectations of so many waiting for it.

Steady on there, its only a camera, not a 'new dawn for mankind'. I would only be interested if the company comes out with ' Honey, we shrunk the SL'.  Even then, I would have to think hard before engaging. An EVF M would need to have vast improvements on existing EVFs before it could replace the wonderful Leica RF.

William

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

vor 6 Minuten schrieb willeica:

...An EVF M would need to have vast improvements on existing EVFs before it could replace the wonderful Leica RF.

William

Very well said. Thank you, Sir!

48 minutes ago, willeica said:

Steady on there, its only a camera, not a 'new dawn for mankind'. I would only be interested if the company comes out with ' Honey, we shrunk the SL'.  Even then, I would have to think hard before engaging. An EVF M would need to have vast improvements on existing EVFs before it could replace the wonderful Leica RF.

William

I don’t think I’ve read anywhere the suggestion that the traditional RF M camera would be replaced by an EVF version.

Leica has already established with the CL and SL that an EVF based camera is viable, and we already have established with the Visoflex that there are circumstances where the EVF is useful on an M camera (though I use my rarely on my M10-D).  I’m sure, like the impossible shoehorning a full frame sensor into an M camera, Leica could fit a good EVF into the space in the top of an M (where the RF mechanism lives).

But I can’t imagine Leica discontinuing the RF for such a camera - that would be very odd.

4 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

I don’t think I’ve read anywhere the suggestion that the traditional RF M camera would be replaced by an EVF version.

Leica has already established with the CL and SL that an EVF based camera is viable, and we already have established with the Visoflex that there are circumstances where the EVF is useful on an M camera (though I use my rarely on my M10-D).  I’m sure, like the impossible shoehorning a full frame sensor into an M camera, Leica could fit a good EVF into the space in the top of an M (where the RF mechanism lives).

But I can’t imagine Leica discontinuing the RF for such a camera - that would be very odd.

Based on what I heard Dr Kaufmann say in Boston two weeks ago, the RF M is not going away, ever. I was just addressing the possible issues for achieving a workable EVF M. I hope that this clarifies this issue.

A really groundbreaking development would be a camera with computational features and full communications functions, but that would not seem to be likely at this stage. I would not be the target market for such a device, as my main interest is in vintage cameras, but it would be nice to see Leica or some other company set some really new paradigms in what has become a very 'tired' market for digital cameras.

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, willeica said:

Based on what I heard Dr Kaufmann say in Boston two weeks ago, the RF M is not going away, ever. I was just addressing the possible issues for achieving a workable EVF M. I hope that this clarifies this issue.

A really groundbreaking development would be a camera with computational features and full communications functions, but that would not seem to be likely at this stage. I would not be the target market for such a device, as my main interest is in vintage cameras, but it would be nice to see Leica or some other company set some really new paradigms in what has become a very 'tired' market for digital cameras.

William

I am dabbling with such a device right now. More later.

10 hours ago, jeff.clegg said:

But if rangefinder is not the desired method, then M series is prob not the desired tool.

On 11/5/2019 at 12:39 PM, willeica said:

William

I wholeheartedly agree William. I was able to get an advanced look at the SL2, and it is a wonderful camera, but no replacement for my M10. I would however consider getting one as a second camera and more suited to use as a studio camera. The M10 is just about perfect for me size wise, and I can carry several lenses all day comfortably. The older I get, the less likely I am to carry a heavy load of gear on my shoulder. The only reason I would seriously consider the SL2 is IBIS. Using my more "difficult" M lenses wide open and the elimination of camera shake is very attractive. We'll have to see.

• Thanks 1