Coming in 2020: M10 Monochrome with 41mp sensor

Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Q2 has a 47mp sensor, now the upcoming M10 Monochrome will have a 41mp sensor.  The M11 and the next generation SL will probably have the Q2's 47mp sensor, too.  What a great time to be a Leica photographer!  Now if we can just find a way to circumvent that pesky import tariff...

https://leicarumors.com/2019/08/28/the-upcoming-leica-m10m-monochrom-camera-is-rumored-to-have-a-new-41-42mp-sensor.aspx/

Even better, you can buy tax-free ;) Just order a camera for pickup at Capi in the Schiphol duty-free area. They don't list Leica  any more, but they used to be a dealer. I'm sure they would be happy to reserve a camera for you. That will save you 21% over the European RSP. You won't even have to leave the airport. Otherwise, the Leica Store Lisse is 30 minutes from Schiphol.

https://www.capi.com/location/capi-amsterdam-airport-schiphol/

small site note,  one does not get full 21% refund at Capi as they use Global blue and they take certain percent service charges. use online GlobalBlue calculator to do a check how much you can get back.

Kameraexpress does full 21% refund but they impose a EUR25 processing fees. So all good if you buy big ticket items. They do require you to post back to them a Custom stamped invoice to process.

best to purchase from Frankfurt-Leica as they will give you full tax back if you have an account for them to transfer to.

just sharing my experiences.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, muah said:

best to purchase from Frankfurt-Leica as they will give you full tax back if you have an account for them to transfer to.

Leica Frankfurt requires a minimum 10,000 Euro purchase for a full in-store tax refund.  Same with Leica Rome. In Rome if your purchase is less than 10K you can walk across the street to the Global Blue lounge and get your non-full refund right there.  In the airport you just need to show customs your goods and stamp the form (without standing in the long GB line).

2 hours ago, muah said:

small site note,  one does not get full 21% refund at Capi as they use Global blue and they take certain percent service charges. use online GlobalBlue calculator to do a check how much you can get back.

Kameraexpress does full 21% refund but they impose a EUR25 processing fees. So all good if you buy big ticket items. They do require you to post back to them a Custom stamped invoice to process.

just sharing my experiences.

Purchases are directly tax-free if you buy  inside the tax-free zone in my experience. You only need to show your boarding pass.  Note that Capi has a taxed shop in the outside shopping mall of Schiphol as well.

I never shopped in Caspi, at least in Schiphol and Frankfurt.  Prices are high even after tax refund.

Saying that it maybe still cheaper than at some places.

Just do your research before impulse purchase, that is what they prey upon.  Especially there is no comparison shops in the airport.

😃

4 hours ago, ELAN said:

Leica Frankfurt requires a minimum 10,000 Euro purchase for a full in-store tax refund.  Same with Leica Rome. In Rome if your purchase is less than 10K you can walk across the street to the Global Blue lounge and get your non-full refund right there.  In the airport you just need to show customs your goods and stamp the form (without standing in the long GB line).

please do not tell my wife. I had 2 refunds!

What’s to chase?  Just the next camera between the already terrific M10 and, hopefully, an M12.  And after the M9 (Sept ‘09), M240 (Sept ‘12), M10 (Jan ‘17). As further indication of Leica product cycles,  the SL2, likely emerging this week, will be 4 years from SL launch in Oct 2015.  The S3 is the outlier, now projected next Spring, close to 5 years from S007 launch.

Jeff

Just read the excellent comparison from reid review about high iso capabilities on SL2.

Personally I don't care about the high pixel count IF it can't handle the high iso better than the current 24mpx sensors. Many current M lenses can't handle such resolution and M system is not usually used on situations where you need high pixel count (SL system is much practical on those).

Thought for Monochrome, it makes sense as it has already much higher iso capabilities.

1 hour ago, oka said:

In short, it’s same as Sony’s latest highres model. On high iso 4-5 years old cameras are still better on noise.

...which is bit shame.

For this to be a helpful statement it needs a lot more detail.  
Is it saying that today’s “high res” camera has poorer high-iso noise performance at equal resolution to a prior generation model?   Unless one specifies and corrects for resolution, physics suggests poorer s/n (for some types of noise) for higher resolution.  So are people just expecting that resolution will increase at constant sensor size without increasing pixel-level noise?   That’s probably, shall we say, optimistic. 

Appreciate more clarity on this.

Thanks!

10 hours ago, mdemeyer said:

So are people just expecting that resolution will increase at constant sensor size without increasing pixel-level noise?   That’s probably, shall we say, optimistic. 

When I started shooting with my 36 mpx D810, I was dismayed by noise at ISO levels that were clean on my lower resolution bodies.  Eventually I learned I could get the same ISO performance as the lower resolution sensors if I re-sized the D810 images to match their sensor resolution.  Same with the 45 mpx D850 I currently shoot.  I see the modern high-rez bodies as dual purpose machines.  Beautiful, large, and highly detailed images in good light.  And very good high ISO performance in low light (with resizing).  My D810 and D850 high ISO shots are as noise free as those from my D5 at the same resolution.

The high resolution bodies are more revealing of camera shake.  So when hand held I find I need higher shutter speeds than with lower resolution bodies.  In good light this is not an issue and in low light , when higher shutter speed may not be possible, the slight blur from camera motion tends to disappear (along with ISO noise) with re-sizing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2