Auto iso question and request for older firmware

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey,

I recently upgraded from 1.0 to 3.1. Now I'm not a 100% but in the brief time before updating I think my minimum shutter speed in auto ISO worked just as such, a minimum shutter speed.

Now the camera behaves just like any old camera and will go below when it reaches the highest iso. I much rather it under exposed.

So am I just remembering it wrong or is the minimum shutter not an actual limit?

Also, does anyone have any older firmware files I could try downgrading to?

(Would suck to loose the exposure lock, but worth it imo.)

Sorry if this has been asked before. Tried searching but most threads had derailed :)

It is not a problem with a camera with IBIS or OIS lenses. But CL has neither. 
You will get nicely exposed photos but blurry one !
Who wants such thing ? Very bad move from Leica. 
I can raised exposure in Lightroom. But I cannot steady an image after the fact. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, nicci78 said:

It is not a problem with a camera with IBIS or OIS lenses. But CL has neither. 
You will get nicely exposed photos but blurry one !
Who wants such thing ? Very bad move from Leica. 
I can raised exposure in Lightroom. But I cannot steady an image after the fact. 

I've been caught out by this several times, it's irritating and frustrating.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

It is our M heritage that causes us to forget everything but M and A 

Very true Jaap! I'm still trying to learn my way around auto focus on the SL & VE 90-280 L, after having used manual R telephoto lenses for my wildlife work for all these years.

• Like 1

I'm still on R, CL+VE 105-280. Works excellently. Unfortunately the rainy season had broken six weeks early in Tanzania, making my foray into the Selous  last week so wet that I was fighting a fogged-up sensor, losing dozens of shots  :( It was like the long rains...

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Viv said:

And a good thing too. Why use auto-ISO? I never do.

Why not using auto iso? I (almost) always do. And this on all my digicams. I mean auto iso in manual mode, best invention since sliced bread to me :D.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, lct said:

Why not using auto iso? I (almost) always do. And this on all my digicams. I mean auto iso in manual mode, best invention since sliced bread to me :D.

I don't see any need to do so.

I only find Auto-ISO useful in fast  reportage-style shooting in variable light and on long lenses which one shoots wide open and at high shutterspeed. Set the shutterspeed and aperture to the desired values, and let the camera do the rest. For all other work I prefer to retain control.

One does retain control in auto iso in M mode. Both apertures and shutter speeds actually. The CL is well designed for that, with M lenses at least. Apertures set the good old way and shutter speeds with the left top dial inspired from M cameras. Fast and accurate, perfect for me. YMMV. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

It is our M heritage that causes us to forget everything but M and A 

And, for me, the fact that I only use M and R lenses means there are no other options anyway. :D

I hadn't even noticed the change ... the CL now simply works the way I expect it to. I always hated the way setting a minimum exposure time would cause me to underexpose and lose a photos if I used AutoISO and was in an edge condition. When I set a camera to automatic ISO setting, I expect it to do something that helps me get proper exposure, not to stop me from getting a good exposure without a warning.

What's missing is a useful indication that you're out of bounds and going to use too long an exposure time so you can take steps to compensate. Most other cameras flash the exposure info in red or whatever when the shutter speed goes into a 'long exposure' mode that might be out of bounds. 

I doubt we'll all ever really agree about this. I prefer things that give me indication and allow me to take action, rather than things that limit my ability to get good data. 

G

1 hour ago, Viv said:

I suppose that my non-usage of auto ISO comes from my years of shooting with film cameras, when the only way to change ISO was to change film.

Old habits die hard.

Sure and not all cameras did auto iso in M mode in the early digital days. My Epson R-D1 and Nikon D70 did it since 2004 but my M240 got it only in 2014 (firmware 2.0.1.5).

I see AutoISO as a convenience feature ... like autofocus and autoexposure are ... so I use it when it's available and when it works in a way that adds advantage to my photography. When it doesn't, I turn it off. That's all. It can be handy in lots of circumstances, and it can get in the way in others ... much like autoexposure and autofocus... :)

G

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1