CL unknown lens notice

Pono

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I keep getting the unknown lens notice popping up whenever I use my older leica glass! This doesn’t happen with the Leica T? I go through the time wasting menu to either choose to shut it off or select a lens in the same range, ie 50mm but not say Summitar or collapsible summicron. Personally it means leaving the CL home and using the older T (701).Does anyone know if the TL2 has this annoying function or is it like the T? Even better, how do I disable the CL demanding to make corrections to my photography via lens interaction...I use almost exclusively M lens only owning one TL lens so the CL may not be a good fit. Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Rick

You could just create a generic profile to address all your wider angle non-coded lenses and start with that. The differences between the actual lens codings wouldn't be great, and you could fix anything else in post. Wouldn't that work? And from 50mm and on up, you could just ignore the notice, since it won't significantly affect anything.

44 minutes ago, Pono said:

I keep getting the unknown lens notice popping up whenever I use my older leica glass! This doesn’t happen with the Leica T? I go through the time wasting menu to either choose to shut it off or select a lens in the same range, ie 50mm but not say Summitar or collapsible summicron. Personally it means leaving the CL home and using the older T (701).Does anyone know if the TL2 has this annoying function or is it like the T? Even better, how do I disable the CL demanding to make corrections to my photography via lens interaction...I use almost exclusively M lens only owning one TL lens so the CL may not be a good fit. Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Rick

Unless your lenses are coded, the camera relies on your input to complete the camera entry in EXIF metadata. If you often use a non-coded lens, why not create your own profile of desired corrections to simplify repeated use of the lens.

1 hour ago, bags27 said:

You could just create a generic profile to address all your wider angle non-coded lenses and start with that. The differences between the actual lens codings wouldn't be great, and you could fix anything else in post. Wouldn't that work? And from 50mm and on up, you could just ignore the notice, since it won't significantly affect anything.

thanks Ken and David, now to figure out how to make a profile, there is a reason I shoot old film cameras 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pono said:

Rick

The message disappears with one touch on the shutter - not much of a hassle. I suspect the TL2 does the same. You could also buy a cheap non-active TL-M adapter and leave it on the camera.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anything you make isn't going to do much, I turn off the lens profiles as some of my lenses aren't Leica, also if you make a profile it still won't go on automatically. Putting on my one TL lens seems to turn it back on. My 35 Summilux and 90 Elmarit have a profile I can set, but I don't see a difference with or without the profile. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jaapv said:

The message disappears with one touch on the shutter - not much of a hassle. I suspect the TL2 does the same. You could also buy a cheap non-active TL-M adapter and leave it on the camera.

it actually blacks out the screen, lol, I never liked shooting blind, hence my preference for rangefinders, however, I have managed to set up a few profiles and the pest seems to have gone...I never like using cameras smarter than I!

Thanks all for the support..

On 10/30/2019 at 5:29 PM, lct said:

+1 and the message won't appear next time you switch on the camera unless you changed the lens in the meantime.

something serious wrong with either how I set it up or the camera..I kept getting the message this morning and despite trying to hit the shutter it wouldn’t go away and I couldnt see anything else but the stupid message...I don’t like this CL at all, I ended up just putting the lens on the M5 for the shot...I’m not interested in a camera making adjustments to my lenses..I like the effects of old glass, warts in all.  thanks for your help..

28 minutes ago, Pono said:

something serious wrong with either how I set it up or the camera..I kept getting the message this morning and despite trying to hit the shutter it wouldn’t go away and I couldnt see anything else but the stupid message...I don’t like this CL at all, I ended up just putting the lens on the M5 for the shot...I’m not interested in a camera making adjustments to my lenses..I like the effects of old glass, warts in all.  thanks for your help..

Just wondering if it is an LTM lens you are using.  I know I have had similar experiences using a LTM lens when its an adaptor the CL didn't like.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Boojay said:

Just wondering if it is an LTM lens you are using.  I know I have had similar experiences using a LTM lens when its an adaptor the CL didn't like.

yes it is a ltm from 1950, it flares, its soft at the edges but is also amazing charactor..I use it on my film cameras and the T (701) no problem. I also have the ltm collapsible summicron that the CL acts up with and the ltm 28/5.6 summaron..I can always use my later M lenses but thats not the point is it.  Thanks

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pono said:

Either there is something wrong with your adapter or you have indeed set it up wrong. Just get a dumb adapter for 20$ off eBay and your troubles will go away.

• Like 1

If you're using an older LTM to M-mount adapter, it is likely adding to the problem. I had problems with several of them. The latest RayQual LTM>M-mount adapters solved these problems for me ... CameraQuest.com has a good page on them: https://www.cameraquest.com/adaptltm.htm

... I’m not interested in a camera making adjustments to my lenses..I like the effects of old glass, warts in all. ...

Just for your info: The Leica lens profiles that the CL/SL/T/TL/TL2 and digital Ms have do not change the character of older Leica lenses that you're used to. What the profiles do is attempt to make the older lenses perform on the modern cameras' digital sensors the same way as they performed on the original cameras (and film) that they were designed for. I did comparisons with several old lenses, test situations that brought out the qualities of the lens, by shooting with the lens on a film body and with the SL body and the results were near to identical using the lens profiles. The CL body being a smaller format will also change somewhat what you get because to get the same FoV you have to move to a shorter focal length, with different characteristics, and you're using about half of the original image circle area you used with 35mm anyway. 

The results with the CL with a given lens will without doubt look different from what you get with the M5, but if you crop the M5 image to the same image area and use the matched lens profile on the CL, they should look very very much the same. 

G

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ramarren said:

If you're using an older LTM to M-mount adapter, it is likely adding to the problem. I had problems with several of them. The latest RayQual LTM>M-mount adapters solved these problems for me ... CameraQuest.com has a good page on them: https://www.cameraquest.com/adaptltm.htm

Just for your info: The Leica lens profiles that the CL/SL/T/TL/TL2 and digital Ms have do not change the character of older Leica lenses that you're used to. What the profiles do is attempt to make the older lenses perform on the modern cameras' digital sensors the same way as they performed on the original cameras (and film) that they were designed for. I did comparisons with several old lenses, test situations that brought out the qualities of the lens, by shooting with the lens on a film body and with the SL body and the results were near to identical using the lens profiles. The CL body being a smaller format will also change somewhat what you get because to get the same FoV you have to move to a shorter focal length, with different characteristics, and you're using about half of the original image circle area you used with 35mm anyway. 

The results with the CL with a given lens will without doubt look different from what you get with the M5, but if you crop the M5 image to the same image area and use the matched lens profile on the CL, they should look very very much the same. 

G

thank you 

For M39 lenses I've been using the Fotodiox adapters with the notches for 6 bit coding: Fotodiox M39 - M Adapters 6 Bit Coding

For my Voigtlander M lenses I've 6 bit coded the lenses with the Match Technical M Coder Kit which I bought about 10 years ago. I think it's been discontinued, they seem to be difficult to find these days.

I have a Fotodiox screw mount to M adapter, while the lens works fine the arrows for setting aperture and focus are a little offset. I have several Leica adapters and they all land the indicator arrows directly vertical so you can see them quickly. Not a showstopper but be aware, and it may not be true for all Fotodiox adapters.