Sign in to follow this  
Guest guy_mancuso

Happy M8 owners / I can't handle this

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I only call them like I see them

Like you, I no longer bother with the IR/cut filters. Yes, color might be a bit more accurate, but the increased red sensitivity is a plus in more images for me than it hurts. One area that is benneficial is in B&W conversions...

So FWIW, I took the liberty of copying your dune jpeg just to see it in B&W -- and frankly think it makes it a lot stronger image. You might want to try doing that with the raw image and if YOU like it, maybe re-post it for us.

Cheers,

Jack

Jack:

Took your advise and made a B&W using your method (B&W conversion layer in CS3).

Here is the photo:

Guy, you're right; it's the heat. When the cold weather returns, things will be back to normal.

Steve

Guest guy_mancuso

Now that is Beach Heaven NJ. i spent a lot of my youth there. The original Ron Jon surf shop . Just dated myself. LOL

Jack:

Took your advise and made a B&W using your method (B&W conversion layer in CS3).

Here is the photo:

Well I don't know about anybody else, but I think that is a keeper worth printing and hanging on the wall! Great tonality and a superb composition.

Cheers,

Jack

Now that is Beach Heaven NJ. i spent a lot of my youth there. The original Ron Jon surf shop . Just dated myself. LOL

Guy:

You are exactly right; it IS Beach Haven, NJ. Ron Jons is still here. Jack: thanks for the B&W tip.

Regards

Dave G

Beach Haven, NJ

Guest sirvine

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That's pretty amazing, Guy, since every beach from the NJ shore to Montauk looks just like that dune! And they change (a lot) from year to year. Impressive recall.

Guest guy_mancuso

I was there 2 years ago , so it has been refreshed a little. Love the Jersey Coastline

I was there 2 years ago , so it has been refreshed a little. Love the Jersey Coastline

Jersey Coastline..? I was sure it was the prairee finally drying up, - CO2 - Al Gore and all that.

I remember when I got my 1Ds II after finally getting used to my 1Ds, I had a frustrating three months getting used to it and trying to find camera settings that suits my way of shooting. At one point I was so frustrated that I thought of buying back my 1Ds.

Looking back, I see that I have been through a similar process with my M8. It is also like this that when buying a M8 we are all in on an experiment. To see if it is possible to make a good digital camera that suits our M-lenses. And not only 'suits', but brings forth the qualities of these lenses.

Looking back, we can all see that Leica has been some tumultous 6 months. Some of the image- and reliability problems looked enormous at one point. That is now behind us. Up-dates are now issued regularly - and a price hike is in the vicinity that, hopefully, will wip any slow axxes to action and buy a M8.

If it is like this that this latest up-date give us better AWB then that is just excellent. That suits my way of working with phtography - the way it now has turned out. Serious RAW work I do only with 'keepers'. The large volume (much larger than in the analogue time) of pictures I take I want to share with others on a 17" portable PC screen. Often right away. Then the jpg's better look good. Compared to photos from other family members, neighbours and friends displayed in a similar fashion..

And we want to work fast! Bureau of Statistics has given me - about - 30 years left to live. 5 years pluss, if I exercise regularly. 5 years less if I spend to much time in front of my PC. So, better jpg quality - right out of the box, and more reliable AWB is a must if M8 is to compete with Canon gear - and even some of the more advanced cell phone cameras around,- and keep us all fit - for a long life. Keep that up, Leica!

{snipped}

And we want to work fast! Bureau of Statistics has given me - about - 30 years left to live. 5 years pluss, if I exercise regularly. 5 years less if I spend to much time in front of my PC. So, better jpg quality - right out of the box, and more reliable AWB is a must if M8 is to compete with Canon gear - and even some of the more advanced cell phone cameras around,- and keep us all fit - for a long life. Keep that up, Leica!

So shoot RAW and excercise--and you even out! Enjoy the next 30 years (and hopefully you're on the upper side of the average

Jack:

Here is the photo:

David, that really is a beautiful photo, and it works extremely well in B&W. It's one of those shots that takes you places.

Very well done.

Yes Kent i went over to tell Phil he did a nice fair review on the M8 and got caught in a thread or two and man let me tell ya . Do we have it made over here. The issue over there is real simple , some folks have no idea what leica is and at 4800 dollars it is just a over glorified camera and there Canon 30d is the machine of a lifetime. Honestly that is fine and really what do you expect from armchair quarterbacks. The bad part is there are some really nice folks over there that do want to know about leica and reason it is being touted as good as it is. The shame of it all is you can't pull the nice folks that want to know away from the folks that think they know something but never picked one up but there far distant cousin from there second marriage knows all about it and by blood alone so do they. LOL

i don't have the energy for that debate. LOL

I have been amazed at the (admittedly smallified jpgized) pix I have seen from the M8. Colors, three dimensionality and sharpness of the M8 pix are quite a stand out from anything else I have seen.

If I wanted to wreck my clever plan of being credit card free I'd run out an buy one now, but I don't feel like doing that.

Amazing pix... I've been quite happy with my EVolt cameras, but the images from Leica's product just blows me away.

It's like this... Any of you ever own a good European sports car? If you came from American iron, like I did, and then bought a German sports car, I'm sure you were amazed. Leica is the same.

Now if we can talk Leica into adopting Olympus' dust buster...

David, that really is a beautiful photo, and it works extremely well in B&W. It's one of those shots that takes you places.

Very well done.

Thanks Kent. Anyone who is on the Jersey shore, if you come to LBI (Long Beach Island) I will show you all my favorite spots.

Dave:)

The dune shot I shot as a color image, and Jack kindly pointed out that it woould make a good B&W. When I shot film, I often loaded up one body with color, the other with B&W. For seascapes the B&W camera always had an orange filter, and I "looked" for B&W images. I recently used my M8 and looked for images that I knew were going to be B&W (form, shadows, texture, but no appreciable color). Here is one made with 35mm ZM lens in Beach Haven:

To KM-25 if you read the last 5200 posts maybe you will understand. Nuff said

Umm...thanks but no thanks, I am a little too busy shooting to read 5785 posts let alone post them...:-).

Seriously, I just burst out laughing at "You mean i can go on vacation now without the place falling apart and rocks being thrown?"

...Think about how that sounds, HaHaHa!!

By the way, I have had my M8 for 4 days now and love it.

Have a good one Guy!

Thanks for the tips Guy.

Jamie, I'm getting there. The M8s are creeping into the wedding work more and more. Today I leave with the H3D/31 and a M8 with 35/1.4 ASPH and the 75/1.4 ... which continues to amaze me ... especially since I added a magnifier. Yesterday I did about 50 shots with the 75 wide open and every one was on. That was a first for me.

God's light is hard to beat.

fotografz - Now that is a classic too. Looks like a 70s picture - is that the 75 bokeh you are showing off? Or is it the 35 1.4. I used to need special slidefilm to get that feeling of transparency. Admired.

David, another very nice shot! Personally, I am really excited about the way the M8 files are covnerting to B&W -- far closer to traditional emulsions than any previous digital or color conversions I've done.

Cheers,

Yea, way too high and I point blank refuse to pay the greedy disributers, a 8 is pretty much on the cards down the track, no great hurry ...... all depends on exhibition sales,then a trip to Honkers, atleast they are open about their transactions and urge to make money ............. then again what I save on not buying the gaspers:D .. just kidding

with the A$ at around .85 -.88 its probably a better time than ever

David, another very nice shot! Personally, I am really excited about the way the M8 files are covnerting to B&W -- far closer to traditional emulsions than any previous digital or color conversions I've done.

Cheers,

In my opinion, the M8 is the best B&W digital out there.

Thanks Kent. Anyone who is on the Jersey shore, if you come to LBI (Long Beach Island) I will show you all my favorite spots.

Dave:)

Please look for the toy soldiers that I lost near the Barnegate Light House in 1961.