Happy M8 owners / I can't handle this

Guest guy_mancuso

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well it's been many months since the M8 release and there came a lot of pain, distrust, hate, pissing feelings all over this forum and the war raged on. Today i have read 6 posts with glee and happy M8 owners with customer service stuff, new lenses, filter bliss etc etc. What the hell is going on, I mean are we happy now. You mean i can go on vacation now without the place falling apart and rocks being thrown. Not sure this is really what we want is it, i mean a almost perfect M8 that actually is making M8 owners happy. I mean next thing you know we may actually like to go out and shoot some images, can this be the heat that is bringing on these warm and fuzzy feelings or just that we dropped our guard down. Not sure i can take this , I mean what the hell am i going to do now and just agree with happy people , were is the fun in that . Not sure I can handle this , so I will leave for vacation for a week that get's cut short in the middle of it because a client has the notion that i actually will shoot for two days for them during my holiday , the nerve of clients. Oh hell it's money right.

Okay I am seriously without question just pulling your leg and having some fun but the truth is it is pretty nice around here lately. ROTFLMAO

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I agree with you Guy, except for my black M8 front focusing and my 75 Cron back focusing.

I was a very happy camper to get the NEW replacement for my original M8. Actually that one is STOP ON. It's the new black one and the 75 both gotten from B&H (Nothing against B&H, they just sell them).

Once I get these two items fixed I will jump for joy.

Guest guy_mancuso

I mean since when did we shoot a image and it looks great with no hassles, 135 apo in C1 with the new firmware. hell this ain't bad, straight out of the box

Normal airbrushing needs to be applied

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

the M8 is not bad in evening light on the front lawn either.

640 at f2.8 w. my dear old 50mm and my dear young granddaughter.

barely any photoshop. IR filter and not even the latest firmware.

this is a camera for the ages!!!

andcolor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It basically comes down to a company standing behind their product. Leica is one of those companies. In todays world of increased profits and cost cutting measures, there is a real lack of quality and follow through after the sale has been made. With my experience, Leica has stood behind their product and that's what sets them apart...

But wow, you should see the sour grapes and righteous indignation and general teeth-gnashing that's going on over at the Leica forum at dpreview after Phil Askey's M8 review was posted. I noticed that Guy has been over there, so he knows what I'm talking about. It's incredible what people will claim or accuse other people of, based on essentially no information or experience.

The Leica User Forum is a veritable oasis of intelligent discussion and repartee by comparison. Whatever you do, don't tell the guys over at dpreview where we are. :cool:

I have to admit I am much happier with the camera now than I was when it first came out. Back then I hated the color issues, and now I relish them shooting even without the filters! Course I'm converting a lot to B&W :D

The main thing I have come to appreciate (beside the simple joy of using an M) is the ability to use earlier generations of glass and get the classic looks.

Cheers,

Jack

Guest guy_mancuso

Yes Kent i went over to tell Phil he did a nice fair review on the M8 and got caught in a thread or two and man let me tell ya . Do we have it made over here. The issue over there is real simple , some folks have no idea what leica is and at 4800 dollars it is just a over glorified camera and there Canon 30d is the machine of a lifetime. Honestly that is fine and really what do you expect from armchair quarterbacks. The bad part is there are some really nice folks over there that do want to know about leica and reason it is being touted as good as it is. The shame of it all is you can't pull the nice folks that want to know away from the folks that think they know something but never picked one up but there far distant cousin from there second marriage knows all about it and by blood alone so do they. LOL

i don't have the energy for that debate. LOL

Guest guy_mancuso

Yea I had to drag your butt from the dark side again. LOL Jack and I are very very good friends and actually doing a Yosemite workshop together in the fall and when the M8 came out he got lucky at B&H and got 2 and he kept one and i got the other. Jack really did not like the idea of the filters at the time and he knew how good the camera was with detail and such but wanted to wait until things got better and we all know they have . so it is great to see him working the M system again which he did for years in the past with film. Now he is out there getting every lens he can get. I think i passed my GAS onto him now. LOL

I waited for months while the early adopters went through hell and high water. After reading all the gripes, problems and general worry I finally decided to join the ranks of the abused only to find that I REALLY LOVE my M8.

Other than a user-incompetence induced blackout that put it out of commision for 3 days it has been a joy. It FEELS like a Leica. It's SMALL compared to anything comparable and its the first digital camera I've used that gives SHARP images without manipulation.

I have not put on the IR filters yet, but to be honest I probably wont bother. I'm having trouble finding circumstances when it is really critical as I hardly ever photograph my luggage. Otherwise I think most of the carping about color is phototechnical masturbation...certainly the majority of Ernst Haas' images would flunk the White Balance test wouldn't they? We used to call all these color casts "personality" when it showed up in slide film...as it always did! I'm looking for a great print...and great prints are not about the fine points, they are about image impact.

Regarding price...If I hear one more person say "I paid 5k for a camera and it's not as good at JPEGs as my bla bla I'll puke. Jesus people, if you are serious about photography you should be using RAW, and if you are looking for quick prints from Walmart get a Fuji F31d.

We all know that a Leica is more than a practical consumer product purchase so I feel absolutely no need to justify the price. It's cool, it's a Leica, it's my money, I can afford it and I like it so piss off! If all the forums in the world told me it was crap I could care less! Hell, you can get a lot more calories from a jar of lard at $5 than from a platter of sashimi at $50 but I'll take the fish and the high price thanks. If you can't tell the difference, god bless you and get the Canon.

I WOULD like user selectable lens recognition by the way, so it's not all cherries!

Best wishes

Dan States

Grand Rapids MI

I am a happy camper with my M8. It is doing exactly what I want it to do :)

Furrukh

Flickr: Photos from khanosu

Happy. There's NOTHING else that I can drop into a Lowe bum bag with an extra lens in a belt pouch or a pocket, AND which can deliver publication quality images. It doesn't do the same job as a 32 MP Leaf back, it can't carry a 300mm lens, but anywhere between 18mm to 180mm (and I VERY rarely need to go beyond that) the M8 is delivering.

Gear Acquistion Syndrome. ROTFLMAO!!!

I do recognize that syndrome ! Since the end of March I found myself staring at an M8, 5 lenses and nr 6 just ordered.

Is there a cure I wonder :o

BTW - I have been happy ever since, never doubted the equipment, only myself.

All the best.

I couldn't agree more with the sentiments expressed in this thread. I've been fortunate to have had no serious problems with my M8 (touch/knock on wood) - in fact it's probably got more complaints about me than I have about it: general operator error while becoming acquainted with the newness of RF photography.

I didn't 'get' RF at first because my mind was so tuned to SLR ways but after 5,500 images in 6 months RF feels natural and I now understand the comments about not having great lumps of palstic and metal between you and your subject.

It's heartening to see a mood upswing on the forum and long may it continue!

For me, exquisite glass and extraordinary image detail override a wealth of annoyances.

Pete.