Sign in to follow this  
Guest guy_mancuso

Happy M8 owners / I can't handle this

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was passing comment on one of the other shots, not yours. The little girl with the shoe.

I see, so, I shouldn't take it personally that you shouted your message specifically to me when I was the fifth or sixth person to post photos.

Just did my first job using ONLY the M8s. A corporate outing. Hamburgers, water balloons, face painting, 95 degrees, direct sun and 2.5 billion children : -)

Took a nice little kit, WATE, 35/1.4. 50/1.4 fresh back from Leica service, 75/1.4. and SF24D for fill in the harsh summer lighting.

Spectacular results ... EXCEPT ... Leica took my money and 2 months despite a letter pleading for Pro Service ... and the 50 still is so off in focus it isn't funny. It's not the camera either ... the 35/1.4 & 75/1.4 (and my 90/2AA) are spot on wide open and up close.

Sent a contact sheet with 120 keepers, and 35 8'X10"s to the Epson RIP and the job's done the morning after.

The 50 is usless, I can't trust it ... and Leica service is no picnic. I think I'll just send to DAG or someone. Suggestions?

I see, so, I shouldn't take it personally that you shouted your message specifically to me when I was the fifth or sixth person to post photos.

I wasn't shouting at you, personally. Honest.

If you don't want me to say that I think your shots are great, then I won't.

I wish I hadn't put "Jono" at the beginning of the post now...

The two cents of another happy owner who even handled a fully misaligned rangefinder M8 body for months without complaining... just shooting, generally in very bad light condition and I hope you'll agree the results aren't bad at all...

The M8 isn't a camera, it's a drug !

Following : "All Paris is biking these days"

Just did my first job using ONLY the M8s. A corporate outing. Hamburgers, water balloons, face painting, 95 degrees, direct sun and 2.5 billion children : -)

HI Marc

that's a lovely shot - my those 2 year olds grow up quickly these days!

My shots above were from a wedding which was shot 90% on the M8 - I just used a dSLR for a few telephoto candid shots. It concentrates the mind a bit, but the results bear out the confidence.

I'm expecting a new 50 1/4 on Tuesday (chrome) I just hope it doesn't have the problems you've been having. My gut reaction about this is that if they don't work out of the box, you send 'em straight back to the dealer - most of my lenses have been fine, but if they aren't it often seems to take more than one trip to get it right.

I wasn't shouting at you, personally. Honest.

If you don't want me to say that I think your shots are great, then I won't.

I wish I hadn't put "Jono" at the beginning of the post now...

Hi Andy

Okay okay - peace - that's as graceful as it could be, sorry to take umbrage so!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jono

Pax.

I just wish that people would post good shots like these in the Photo section, for everyone to enjoy.

There are hundreds of members who wouldn't dream of venturing into the bear-pit that is the M8 section, yet would really appreciate seeing these.

Guest guy_mancuso

Took a nice little kit, WATE, 35/1.4. 50/1.4 fresh back from Leica service, 75/1.4. and SF24D for fill in the harsh summer lighting.

Spectacular results ... EXCEPT ... Leica took my money and 2 months despite a letter pleading for Pro Service ... and the 50 still is so off in focus it isn't funny. It's not the camera either ... the 35/1.4 & 75/1.4 (and my 90/2AA) are spot on wide open and up close.

Sent a contact sheet with 120 keepers, and 35 8'X10"s to the Epson RIP and the job's done the morning after.

The 50 is usless, I can't trust it ... and Leica service is no picnic. I think I'll just send to DAG or someone. Suggestions?

Marc sounds like your 50 lux is like mine , i sent it in for a shim and works great now. On pro service contact Christian and tell him I sent you. Seriously you should be covered here. Okay off to the beach , have fun folks

Hey Marc--what Guy said. I had a 75 Lux that just refused to focus till I sent it into Kindermann Canada (who will also look at your 50, but there's that border).

Agree on the pro service. FWIW, I'm sure with the M8 stuff ironed out, the service will return to great.

Anyway--everyone knows I love my M8. I just shot a wedding with an M8 and a DMR, and I used the 24 Elmarit exclusively on the M8...

(I post in the photo section too. The problem is, if you just want to see some M8 shots, then you have to wade through everything else. Now, if there was a good way of sorting that section

)

PS--these are proofs right out of C1...

Thanks for the tips Guy.

Jamie, I'm getting there. The M8s are creeping into the wedding work more and more. Today I leave with the H3D/31 and a M8 with 35/1.4 ASPH and the 75/1.4 ... which continues to amaze me ... especially since I added a magnifier. Yesterday I did about 50 shots with the 75 wide open and every one was on. That was a first for me.

God's light is hard to beat.

Marc--those are completely fabulous shots, really (nice to see people take advantage of the glorious light!). I hope you have great light for the shoot today, too!

At the weddings I find myself stymied at that range--I have a wealth of options in that range, including the 80R lux, which is gorgeous too. Still, I think I'll pull out the 75M more often...and the magnifier is great too.

Hmm. Now you're making me think about another M8 body and ditching one of the SLRs....at least at one point in the day

Excuse me for butting in, BUT.

I don't think Andy was shouting at YOU personally or even commenting on posting images to this thread/forum! I do think, after reading his comment, he was stating that SOME of these photos/images SHOULD ALSO be posted in the images forums.

Please STOP ALL these petty personal attacks. They really have no place in any Leica forum.

Thank you All.

Seriously, I am on the floor laughing my rear off!!

No offense, but I just *love* the self appointed Leica front man prose you take in almost your posts, what a riot! I know half a dozen Magnum / Leica shooters and not a one would assume they could speak for so many people, LOL!!

Hey, have fun with it, you obviously get something out of it and it often does give us working guys good to have some else do all the work of an intern or production manager.

Guy Mancuso for Leica president and CEO in 08!!!

Some nice images here folks. i know i started this as fun but in all seriousness we all really learned a lot about digital and the M8 in these past several months and even though some of it was a battle and with some serious problems like SDS which i had also. It really feels good now, honestly i even thought i was nuts to make a complete M system swing and from a professional level a big ass chance on making sure it would all work. One of my good clients yesterday said to me that it is amazing what i am pulling out of such a small system. That was one area that really concerned me is just the small look of my system. Looks are something clients expect some huge camera to get the job done for them and to show up to a gig after them being used to seeing the DMR system with the M8 system , they must think i lost some brain cells up there but fortunately the results count and there all very happy. I really do give Leica a lot of credit for pulling a rabbit out of the hat in getting a handle on this. i talk to these folks a lot and they really are trying hard even though there under staffed in all directions it is good to see some light at the end of the tunnel, not to say there work is done far from it and i know i will continue to help and push them along. But the real credit goes to the folks that stuck it out since the beginning , you know who you are and some of the hair pulling that has gone on. You folks are what makes leica what it is and the dedication you folks have shown, my hat is off to them for hanging in there when they easily could have given up many times. I really think the fruits of everyone labor here is paying off and when i see people singing the praise of customer service than you know we got something going on.

Guest sirvine

Ugh...seriously, when someone takes on the role of customer advocate with Leica the way Guy has, you don't ridicule him for it. Now, name one Magnum member who has pushed Leica as hard in a public forum, and been as careful to gather the concerns of everyday users...go ahead, we're waiting...

Jono

Pax.

I just wish that people would post good shots like these in the Photo section, for everyone to enjoy.

There are hundreds of members who wouldn't dream of venturing into the bear-pit that is the M8 section, yet would really appreciate seeing these.

The only problem with that logic Andy is we M8 users don't ever wander anywhere else but here!

Jack

The only problem with that logic Andy is we M8 users don't ever wander anywhere else but here!

'We' implies that you're speaking for everyone. Some of us do venture outside of this M8 ghetto. Perhaps people need an interest in photography rather than cameras to do so <grin>

Seriously, I am on the floor laughing my rear off!!

No offense, but I just *love* the self appointed Leica front man prose you take in almost your posts, what a riot! I know half a dozen Magnum / Leica shooters and not a one would assume they could speak for so many people, LOL!!

Hey, have fun with it, you obviously get something out of it and it often does give us working guys good to have some else do all the work of an intern or production manager.

Guy Mancuso for Leica president and CEO in 08!!!

Why is it that folks who openly bash other's in a forum seldom ever use their real names?

And Kodachrome 25? Gimme a break. The ONLY thing it had going for it was it was better than the Ektachrome of the day.

Oh, and my name is Jack and I am a friend of Guy's

Why is it that folks who openly bash other's in a forum never use their real names?

And you can take your Kodachrome 25 and stuff it where the sun don't shine. It was crap film 40 years ago and is still crap now.

Let's seem you criticise someone for not being polite and then tell him he can stuff his preferred film up his arse. Ho hum.

Rather virulent, the M8 virus. My brother swore to me that he would never buy such an expensive camera just two days ago. Now he PM's me he found a demo - well, to cut a story short, that is M8 # 4 in the family, three silver, one black......

Let's seem you criticise someone for not being polite and then tell him he can stuff his preferred film up his arse. Ho hum.

Ah, you caught me before my edit -- I toned it down a notch to be more polite. Never said "arse" though, those are your words. I'm eminently more polite than that when online. (FWIW, you might also want to try proof-reading for readability before you post

)

And BTW, you have a few really nice images on your website -- kudos! Were all taken with the M?

Cheers,

Jack