Sign in to follow this  
Guest guy_mancuso

Happy M8 owners / I can't handle this

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have only had mine since Thursday afternoon but I can already see that this thing is really going to help my 5D collect dust for non-commercial stuff. I think I goofed one of the battery's calibrations though, I pulled it after only an hour and put it back, now it only shows 1 bar max even after 3 full hours of charge...?

Anyway,

These are from a story I shot yesterday for a Newspaper feature on a well known Colorado philanthropist, with the only two lenses I own, the 28 Summicron and 50 aspheric:

Hi Guy

As you know, I've loved it from the start - and being involved in all the issues has taught me a lot - for only a modicum of irritation.

As for the dpreview arguments - I've just about managed to keep out of 'em!

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://www.slack.co.uk/oddsandends/L5070551.jpg&key=e451fe8ba5aab05dfd28c01616439d3031b9889787fa0c9569862be282687966">

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://www.slack.co.uk/oddsandends/L5070572.jpg&key=f1d2247fee67ecc0896049f107e1f55ba65851a2eaf8b3d309d65fdd783f2c74">

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://www.slack.co.uk/oddsandends/L5070643.jpg&key=4797e2c4149a5922383eff2458a2b25841d516670b8d441376606b0c7538cf6f">

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://www.slack.co.uk/oddsandends/L5070630c.jpg&key=f5c2078fcd8ff2c4aa7334119a2c88850d998bb7b9d165c700742014eb039b9e">

These are from a story I shot yesterday for a Newspaper feature on a well known Colorado philanthropist, with the only two lenses I own, the 28 Summicron and 50 aspheric:

Lovely shots - I especially like the first and last ones.

good luck with the M8 - and that battery!

Guest guy_mancuso

Some nice images here folks. i know i started this as fun but in all seriousness we all really learned a lot about digital and the M8 in these past several months and even though some of it was a battle and with some serious problems like SDS which i had also. It really feels good now, honestly i even thought i was nuts to make a complete M system swing and from a professional level a big ass chance on making sure it would all work. One of my good clients yesterday said to me that it is amazing what i am pulling out of such a small system. That was one area that really concerned me is just the small look of my system. Looks are something clients expect some huge camera to get the job done for them and to show up to a gig after them being used to seeing the DMR system with the M8 system , they must think i lost some brain cells up there but fortunately the results count and there all very happy. I really do give Leica a lot of credit for pulling a rabbit out of the hat in getting a handle on this. i talk to these folks a lot and they really are trying hard even though there under staffed in all directions it is good to see some light at the end of the tunnel, not to say there work is done far from it and i know i will continue to help and push them along. But the real credit goes to the folks that stuck it out since the beginning , you know who you are and some of the hair pulling that has gone on. You folks are what makes leica what it is and the dedication you folks have shown, my hat is off to them for hanging in there when they easily could have given up many times. I really think the fruits of everyone labor here is paying off and when i see people singing the praise of customer service than you know we got something going on.

Jono

Love the wedding shot - three great outfits and a suit, ha ha!.

Terrific shots of the granddaughter with the shoe, too

In fact, there are some great shots on this thread that OUGHT TO BE IN THE PHOTO SECTION! aswell

Jono

In fact, there are some great shots on this thread that OUGHT TO BE IN THE PHOTO SECTION! aswell

Hey - why just me !

Anyway, I see no shoe, and don't have a granddaughter either

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jono

Err......mine is-as well..... Sorry:(

Guest guy_mancuso

Man, Andy you just created hell for yourself . I never knew i could make my font size that big

This could be fun

Hey - why just me !

Anyway, I see no shoe, and don't have a granddaughter either

I was passing comment on one of the other shots, not yours. The little girl with the shoe.

Man, Andy you just created hell for yourself . I never knew i could make my font size that big

This could be fun

Behave, or you will have to spend some time in the naughty corner.

Apart from my initial reservations regarding the filters, I still went ahead an bought the M8 in early November. Since that time the camera has preformed flawlessly. It has rekindled the simplistic joy of photographing those I hold dear.

Guest guy_mancuso

Maybe we spoke to soon Imants, man i find that a little tough to believe myself. If anything the M8 should go down a little and with the new Summarits coming you have to wonder.

Guest stnami

I find it sorta find it a bit disrespectful to the loyal Leica users, especially those yet to be able to afford the changeover from film to digital. There is a fair few out there selling, trading and trying to maneuver towards the M8, this will definitely disappoint

Guest guy_mancuso

I agree this is a little tough on the wallet. We have way too many complaining at 4800 US for the M8 and going higher is not the way to go on it. If anything traditionally camera prices go down after several months after release. I would rather see them lower the M8 price and get more folks into the system than exclude them with price. But i'm not a marketing major either.

has this been confirmed on price

Guest stnami

.........if they are banking on addiction............... a price rise is quite the norm, demand leads to higher prices.............. on the positive ,quirks are getting ironed out, further development costs must be obtained from somewhere

Guest guy_mancuso

And I know there working on many things for down the road, maybe time to grab one now Imants. There are some used ones floating about and I know in your neck of the woods prices are fairly high for new. Things are a lot better since you tried one, might be worth another test.

Guest stnami

Yea, way too high and I point blank refuse to pay the greedy disributers, a 8 is pretty much on the cards down the track, no great hurry ...... all depends on exhibition sales,then a trip to Honkers, atleast they are open about their transactions and urge to make money ............. then again what I save on not buying the gaspers:D .. just kidding

Guest guy_mancuso

yes new in Australia is through the roof on the M8 , may have to take a trip somewhere to save money on it when your ready.

This could be fun

LOL Guy - but it's different you know because you aren't SHOUTING as well