Leica M10 and off camera Flasch

Think!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am looking for an off camera flash solution for my M10 (which would possibly also work for my M240)

Is there any chance that my Nikon Flashes or Fuji Flashes (Nissin) would work? Otherwise I am looking for a good solution with a controller that may also manage more than one flash lights. Is there a Godox Solution that fits? Thank you for your advice

I use pocket wizard and a sekonic light meter. Leica make a remote trigger flash and I think priolite makes a Leica compatible remote triggered strobe.  

While you can use some Nikon flash cables none of the flash you mentioned are Leica compatible, unless you use manually. 

If your Nikon flash has an Auto (auto-thyrister) Mode it will automatically control flash exposure if used on a Nikon cable.  You have to manually enter camera ISO and aperture settings in the flash.

I use Godox AD 360 flash units with the Godox wireless controller.  It is manual flash only, but allows flash output control from the camera position as well as allowing different settings on multiple external flashes.

Second the non-TTL auto options. My Olympus flash units, the FL600R and FL900R, both work in non-TTL auto and/or manual flash on my M262 and would do so on any other M body, film or digital, with a hot shoe that has the central contact point, meaning I have no question they’d also work fine on my M6.

i would take the non-TTL auto operation of my M units over any dedicated (and way over-priced for what you get) flash specifically for the Leica system.

• 2 months later...
On 10/27/2019 at 12:40 PM, Soden said:

I use pocket wizard and a sekonic light meter. Leica make a remote trigger flash and I think priolite makes a Leica compatible remote triggered strobe.  

While you can use some Nikon flash cables none of the flash you mentioned are Leica compatible, unless you use manually. 

I contacted Priolite, in Germany. They no longer have a US dealer. Their website hasn't been updated in years so they are not a candidate for me. I own the Leica SF60 and SF C1. It works great on my SL/SL2, but I would like more power for HSS outdoors. 

According to Nissin tech support, all of their flashes that have the latest radio are compatible with the Leica SF C1 trigger even though that won't work on the camera hot shoe. I ordered the Nissin MG10 (potato masher) flash from Adorama as they sell it by itself without the Nissin brand trigger, about 4 weeks ago. It's still on back order.

When I get the MG10, this flash and my two Lieca SF60 flashes and Leica SF C1 trigger will make for a nice compact set up that has HSS and TTL for my SL2 and M10.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.