Leica M3 or Leica MP?

M3 or MP ?

Having used the two (and some other M 😉 ),

my last choice are two M-A 🤣.

M3 is old, very smooth old horse but the "best M viewfinder" is not there anymore, I still have one that I use sometimes.

MP finder not for me ( bothering red LED, I know I can take those batteries out, I had in .72&.85 with it's not complete framelines in x0.85 even with 50mm mounted).

Base leatherette of MP didn't please me by the smooth "soap feeling" in my hands.

Edited by a.noctilux

I just inherited an M3, it is back in the shop for a second time, the M3s were last made in the mid 1960s, most are from the 50's. So at a minimum you have a 55 year old camera. An excellent, repairable camera, but one that will probably need repairs. My other gripe with the M3 is no 35mm in the viewfinder, I used M2s for many years and got used to the 35 frame lines, using the M3 I really miss them. So my solutions are $2-300 for a viewfinder and probably $1000+ for a 50mm lens. Not saying the M3 is a bad camera, just know what you are getting into. Oh yes you need a light meter, tried phone apps but none would compare to my camera meters, M8, CL or my Gossen Luna pro, which is too big to carry with the Leica, the phone apps were way off. Did find a Gossen Scout cheap, have used these before and they are OK meters for not too difficult lighting.

So I would go with the MP. But never have used one.

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

Are you comfortable with 50/90/135 finders? Do you ever use Speedlights? Does your workflow allow for less than spool, drop and go film rewind working speeds? Do you have a dependable hand-held light meter, or are you very comfortable with approximating exposure (for example: are you shooting b+w films only or are you considering E6 slide films, etc.), and last but not least, do you have access to a dependable service/repair technician?

I used M3's and M2's for nearly thirty years ... in the field, and these are just some questions that you might consider. 

At the present time I have this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

She is fully serviced. But ............. I could buy a MP. Also fully serviced. I know the M3 but not the MP (silver). So my question (s)

BTW I'm using 35mm and 50mm. No more. And 35mm on the M3 is NOT a problem, also without aney external VF.

Edited by analog-digital

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I had my first choice, I chose an M4 over an M3---worked out great. Later I picked up an M6...hated it...kept the M4. after 40 years use I sold the M4, but soon discovered I really wanted another Leica. Chose the M2 over M3 and am quite happy with it. IMHO economically the MP makes better sense than the M3 for you.

49 minutes ago, analog-digital said:

At the present time I have this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

She is fully serviced. But ............. I could buy a MP. Also fully serviced. I know the M3 but not the MP (silver). So my question (s)

BTW I'm using 35mm and 50mm. No more. And 35mm on the M3 is NOT a problem, also without aney external VF.

Before taking any decision, you may want to look in MP viewfinder.

The contrast/clarity/neutral color in the M-A/MP VF is much more comfortable than in my "M3's nice VF" and to see if the 75 framelines in the 50's one don't bother you.

A different take: the M3 is the finest Leica M ever made, from build quality to the only truely flare free viewfinder and the only M that allows effortlessly accurate focussing of longer focal length lenses with that viewfinder.

The M3 is a masterpiece. Here is someone else who puts this rather well:

https://prosophos.com/2018/04/28/why-the-leica-m3-is-a-special-camera-to-me/

33 minutes ago, 105012 said:

A different take: the M3 is the finest Leica M ever made, from build quality to the only truely flare free viewfinder and the only M that allows effortlessly accurate focussing of longer focal length lenses with that viewfinder.

And we can focus and compose the 50mm lens with both eyes open.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pyrogallol said:

Not if you are left handed (and left eyed). 99% of cameras are designed for right handed people.

Lenses are left-handed just to balance this.

I've never managed to focus with my right hand digits with my M.

So splitting the job in two hands is a nice move 😉.

I also started with an M4 instead of (the still available new) M3 in 1968, after trying both and preferring the M4 finder (and other features). Still have and use it. Also got am M6 in 1985, and have used it more than the M4 since then, but did have it upgrades to MP VF a few years ago. The current model MP is basically an updated M6.

I also have a couple of M3s, an M2, M5, (film) CL etc. They are all fine cameras, and I can see why someone might prefer any of them over the others.  The M3 finder is my least favorite - I guess because I'm so used to the wider field.

I prefer the M6/MP for the meters, as I shoot mainly indoors and in difficult light conditions. Sure, I did fine with the meterless M4 for years in the same conditions, but used mainly one type of film and had lots of practice. Now I'm more consistent (and confident) with the meter.

9 hours ago, analog-digital said:

what would be your decision? And most of all, why?

Read tips, suggestions and info

Answering your question with any sense of being practical and dealing with all the 'what if's' and it has to be the MP big a very large margin. You have all the framelines possible, you have a meter, loading film is much quicker, if for some obscure reason you don't want a meter take the battery out, and above all it is still a current camera. Sure you will get the 'M3 is the smoothest Leica ever' comments, but do you want to take pictures or bask in the glory of a camera that can let you down at any moment with a multitude of problems and at the same time being harder to use? If you get an MP and enjoy it be sure to make your next camera that accompanies it an M3, but it's not going to match up and will be a whiff of fake nostalgia propagated by people who never had to use one in earnest post the M4 (or even the M2)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

M3 is for 50/90 lenses, if you use those most and don’t go wider, M3 is yours thing.

Hello Ko.Fe.

And don't forget the 135mm lenses without "goggles".

The M3 is a camera designed around the 90mm lens as the main lens in a photographic kit. With 50mm lenses & 135mm lenses also being equally usable. It is generally easier to use 50mm & longer lenses with the M3 when choosing between the 2.

The M2 & most of the following "M" cameras are designed around the 50mm lens as the main lens in a photographic kit. With 35mm lenses & 90mm lenses also being  equally usable. This means that it generally is easier to use 35mm lenses when choosing between the 2.

When using "add on" viewfinders it is probably usually better to use an M3 since it gives a person a larger range/viewfinder image magnification when focusing. Since composing & viewing are done in the separate viewfinder with either camera.

The slowness in loading in the early "M" cameras (Including M3's.) can be compensated for to a great extent with the use of a "quick load" device.

Best Regards,

Michael

Loading a M3, M2, older screw mount Leicas is a matter of practice, lots, seems ridiculous with digitals. When I first had M3s, M2s I would practice loading while walking, pacing whatever. Becomes natural after time. Just got a "new" M3 and it had a weird loading spool, bought a more recognizable spool, will see if it fits whan it comes back from YYE.