CL Freezes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I purchased a new Leica CL about 2 months ago. From time to time the camera freezes, this normally happens when playing back images. It will freeze on an image and the only solution is to eject the battery to reset the camera.

I suspected maybe it's the SD card, I swapped it for another card but the problem is still there. I've done a search but can't seem to find anything.

Anybody else experience this?

Thanks,

Mike

I had this problem when I first had the CL what I found was:

1) Battery was out, CL doesn't have great battery life, I have 4 and always carry a spare. One day I used 3 batteries. Watch the battery level if it is at 2 or below blocks, replace the battery before you go out. 

2) New SD card that wasn't formatted in the camera. Wondered when I first had the camera why I couldn't do more that 30 some images on a card. When I formatted the SD card in the camera then the problem went away. The camera would stop working with no message. 

• Thanks 1

Haven't had freezing up problems at all, but I always format my cards with the SD Formatter app and then do a format in the camera to be sure.

Yes, the CL battery is a bit under-spec'ed and gets drained a bit quickly in some uses, but luckily it's a battery shared with several other cameras and is easily available very inexpensively from third party suppliers. I have two Leica OEM batteries and two "Wasabi Power" branded third-party batteries: the Wasabi batteries seem to perform identically to the Leica OEM batteries and came in a two-pack, with a USB two-battery charger, for US$24.00. Can't beat that.

I also always have at least one freshly charged spare in my bag, but I don't shoot a huge number of frames out in the field on average. Usually one battery lasts me 300-350 exposures on a charge. I also don't spend a lot of time using review functions or the menu/configuration controls very much any more, both of which seem to soak up power very quickly. 

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a similar issue (not on a CL it was on a T)

My issue was the SD card, I tried a few but all of them had a similar issue (on playback it would take ages to load the previews or not at all)

In the end I had to format on my laptop then again in camera. That seemed to fix it for me.

• Thanks 1

Which firmware version? I had some issues with fw 2.2 now solved with the last. One off issue was continuous switch off screen if use auto switching to Viewer.

Also SD quality could be One cause, I’m l’etica suggested me to do not use cards bigger than 32Gb and the most suggested are Samsung Pro 

hooping it helps

M.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback, much appreciated.

I've always formatted the SD cards in camera and never use larger than 32GB size Panasonic cards which are about 3 years old.  I'll purchase a  couple of new different brand cards and see what happens.

Best,

Mike

I purchased a Sandisk 32gb Extreme Pro 300mbs today and all seems well. Ran a whole lot of images on AFC at Continuous High Speed, no freezing. It appears that the SD card  was the culprit.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, as always appreciated.

Best

Mike

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I purchased a new Cl recently and a 35-56mm lens.  When I took the new lens out for testing a did a few shots and then got a message that there was insufficient memory update not possible (or something like that).  I fully charged the battery using an OEM charger.  the next day I got the same message but then, I got a message that an update was in process , then a message that it was successful.  Does anyone understand what is going on?

• 9 months later...

I bought a used mint, boxed CL earlier this year, though from the condition of the box and all the documents inside, the camera may have been unused. Understandably I was a bit disconcerted to suddenly have had this freeze up problem when viewing images, especially if I enlarged the monitor image. I thought I had bought a duff body which had suddenly failed. The red data light came on and stayed one and the on/off switch would not work. A complete crash of all systems. I had been using a Sandisk 32 GB SDHC-1 card but my daughter had some content on the card so she took the card to download her images. I had an unused Lexar 32 GB SDHC-2 so I put this card in the camera as an interim measure and my problems started from then on. The Lexar card would appear to be faulty in some way and perhaps the CL electronics are sensitive to these faults. The problem does not happen with a similar size Lexar card which I took out of  my Leica M type 262 to try in the CL, nor does it occur with other new and unused Sandisk 32 GB SDHC-1cards. I tried the possibly defective card in my Leica M without any problems. The CL monitor gives a projected image capacity of over 500 with 32 GB which is rather a lot to risk in "one basket" so to speak. I have never had any problems with lower capacity storage so maybe I will revert to 16 or even 8 GB, if you can still buy them. Perhaps the moral of my tale is try all your cards rigorously before going out to shoot something important.