Doubts! .. Buy TL2 or TL and color

Dopaco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today I sold my Leica X2 to make a box and buy TL2, TL or CL, the latter I discard for reasons of budget. I could wait for time to pass and save more. On the other hand, TL2 or TL have a good price, so it would be a good option.

If I decide on TL2 I have the following doubts:
1.- With the adapter could I use my Elmarit 28, f2.8 lens on TL2?
2.- Is it heavy to navigate the touch screen? ..
3.- What is the most used color and looks more beautiful, silver or black and white?

I really appreciate advice.

Thank you.

If you had a X2  camera -which I like, too- it would be easyer to go for the CL. This is the best Leica APS-C camera, because of the great EVH, but the most expensive of them, too. At eBay Germany a second hand CL will be about 1500 €, the TL2 about 1100, the TL about 600 and the T about 3-400 €. But for all T-modells you`ll need another 300 € for the electric viewfinder. If you prefer the T-line I would take the TL2 because of the 24 MP (T and TL have 16 MP).

The Elmarit 2,8/28 works fine with the CL, so it should work with the TL2, too.

The touch screen isn`t too complicated, you will learn all important points in 20 minutes and the not often used functions are logical to find. I came to the T from the X Vario.

But after all I would always try to go for the CL. It`s newer, faster, smaller and more a Leica camera, than a design object. 

Edited by DirkS
  • Like 1

When you buy the EVF for the TL2, you end up with ballpark the price of the CL. Also, there are used CLs available in excellent condition at reasonable prices. I'm not pushing the CL (although I love mine), but just trying to expand your choices.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I almost went for the T once upon a time, but using a borrowed one for a few days convinced me it wasn't what I wanted. Lovely camera but the touch screen user paradigm just didn't appeal to me.

I bought the CL when I sold my SL and have found it a natural to use for everything. 

G

• Like 1

Don't get the T or TL the only difference is an HDMI socket (I believe)

TL2 is a better choice if you wish to have touchscreen interaction. I have 2x T's 1 is converted to IR the other is going on eBay. The extra Visoflex EVF is expensive and although useful, the camera is more designed around using the touchscreen, which I cannot get along with.

I have the Leica CL and would highly recommend it over your other choices.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marac said:

I am almost convinced to buy Leica CL or TL2.

TL2, I like its minimalist appearance and in terms of performance both are similar.

I have reached this conclusion after reading this:   https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/preview/leica-cl-vs-tl2/

I want to use my M lenses, whether I buy CL or TL2, so I have to buy an M to T adapter.
I believe that the one of Léica by price has to be the best. Which one do you recommend?

19 minutes ago, Dopaco said:

I am almost convinced to buy Leica CL or TL2.

TL2, I like its minimalist appearance and in terms of performance both are similar.

I have reached this conclusion after reading this:   https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/preview/leica-cl-vs-tl2/

I want to use my M lenses, whether I buy CL or TL2, so I have to buy an M to T adapter.
I believe that the one of Léica by price has to be the best. Which one do you recommend?

My recommendation will always be a CL over the T series especially if you would like to shoot with M lenses.

• Thanks 1

I've been watching photos taken with TL2 and CL all afternoon and I wouldn't know how to distinguish one from the other, with both cameras the photos are beautiful.

One thing I like about TL2 is that the battery can be charged directly from the camera via USB. If you travel, you do not need to carry the charger.
CL lacks this advantage.

TL2 has 32G of internal memory. If you forgot to take the card, you can take photos until you complete 32G.
CL does not have it.

I keep watching for now TL2 is winning.

Thank you all for your advice.

Regards

• Like 2

T and TL are so sluggish that i cannot advise them. TL2 i have no experience with it but it would be on par with the CL i've been told. Problem it has no viewfinder and its optional EVF is expensive and inferior to that of the CL so the latter is the winner from this viewpoint IMHO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirkS said:

Interesante elección. Todas las respuestas de todos los usuarios en este hilo fueron las mismas: "Take the CL!" Su decisión fue tomar el TL2. ^^

@lct. The autofocus of the T and TL, how slow are they, looks like Leica X1 or X2? .....

Hace 1 hora, DirkS dijo:

Interesante elección. Todas las respuestas de todos los usuarios en este hilo fueron las mismas: "Take the CL!" Su decisión fue tomar el TL2. ^^

@ DirkS

Todavía no he decidido nada ..., sigo buscando y leyendo para sacar conclusiones.

La única decisión que tomé es que ya ordené comprar el adaptador M a T, que usaré con cualquiera de las cámaras que elija.

Elegí el Leica MT 18771 (nuevo) pagando € 330, es el precio más barato que he podido obtener y, aparentemente, por lo que leí, es el único que puede garantizar un buen rendimiento.

Edited by Dopaco

I went for a TL2 over CL mainly for the product design, it is a joy to use and makes me want to take it everywhere. So far I've been happy using the LCD only for composing images, touchscreen very intuitive to use. Internal storage and USB charging also nice to have. 

1 hour ago, Dopaco said:

@lct. The autofocus of the T and TL, how slow are they, looks like Leica X1 or X2? .....

I did not even touch one of those bodies so far but i would do a search on the LUF to see what our colleagues think about those cameras before deciding. The rational choice you have is between CL and TL2 i would think. Perhaps you are happy when you compose using the LCD only like shawrob above, in which case i would buy the TL2. When i say "i" i mean "you" as i'm totally unable to compose with a LCD as far as i'm concerned. But i use only M and LTM lenses on the CL so you might think otherwise if you intend to use AF lenses like TL ones on this body. Just my 2 centavos ;).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lct said:

I did not even touch one of those bodies so far but i would do a search on the LUF to see what our colleagues think about those cameras before deciding. The rational choice you have is between CL and TL2 i would think. Perhaps you are happy when you compose using the LCD only like shawrob above, in which case i would buy the TL2. When i say "i" i mean "you" as i'm totally unable to compose with a LCD as far as i'm concerned. But i use only M and LTM lenses on the CL so you might think otherwise if you intend to use AF lenses like TL ones on this body. Just my 2 centavos ;).

A good point to add, I only use the autofocus TL lenses which reduces the need for EVF

I have both CL and TL2. They take similar, probably identical images in the same conditions. They are not the same camera in a different skin, though: the CL is definitely a step up in speed of AF, and the integrated EVF in the CL is way better than the add-on EVF for the TL2 - less lag, smoother motion, shorter blackout.

• Like 2