Aperture and Catalina

Not trying to hijack, I noticed in Catalina/Photos early low MP images when opened show up Pixelated & the size adjustment Bar does not work.. Apple do not have an answer!         L

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lykaman

16 minutes ago, marchyman said:

Do you have a 5K display?  I get pixelated pictures when the view software tries to expand the image to size of the view window which may be much larger (5120x2880 when full screen on a 5K display) than the size of the image.

Prior to Catalina I had No Issues with viewing any images. (27" iMac 6 months old) 

On 10/25/2019 at 1:31 PM, wellfleet said:

Aperture will run under Catalina if you want to mess with it, but there are no guarantees - https://gentlemencoders.com/aperture-for-catalina/

Here's his app, Retroactive, that allows you to run Aperture, Photos, and iTunes under Catalina.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/10/28/free-retroactive-tool-brings-aperture-itunes-back-to-life-in-macos-catalina

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/26/2019 at 3:36 AM, lykaman said:

Not trying to hijack, I noticed in Catalina/Photos early low MP images when opened show up Pixelated & the size adjustment Bar does not work.. Apple do not have an answer!         L

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Not surprising. Aperture is obsolete and we cannot expect any support or compatibility with new operating systems.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wellfleet said:

Here's his app, Retroactive, that allows you to run Aperture, Photos, and iTunes under Catalina.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/10/28/free-retroactive-tool-brings-aperture-itunes-back-to-life-in-macos-catalina

Rather iPhoto, as Photos does run under Catalina.

10 hours ago, Exodies said:

rather than later when you’re an old dog?

Old dogs can learn new tricks, too ;) 

My rational for dropping Aperture when it became unsupported was this: the longer I'd wait the more edited photos I'd have to process in the replacement software.   Or lose the edits.  Or have to maintain the raw plus an edited jpeg which, if I wanted to change later, would still require a re-edit.