Vertical DIY rangefinder adjustment?

insomnigraphic

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/28/2020 at 9:50 PM, Selador said:

Hello all,

Has anyone removed the cover screw on any of the digital P models, scratching it in the process (seemed like it scratched on the instant the screwdriver made contact, ugh) and replaced it? Does anyone know if Wetzlar supplies that piece, and its cost?

Thanks!

Removed it and lost it on my M10 Monochrom. Leica do supply the part and my replacement is waiting at the Leica store for me to collect. Not cheap at AUD25.00 though. In my case I'm considering it a stupidity tax.

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...

I love this forum.  Purchased a lightly used M10 (after drowning my own), when it arrived focussing on a very distant telegraph pole, at infinity there were two very distinct poles and at close distance front focus was terrible.  Took the plunge and now all is perfect!!  Thanks everyone.  I now feel so much more rangefinder savvy, it's taken a while.  Incidentally the seller said he had never noticed anything off but sold because he struggled with rangefinder focussing?  

I look back a few years to when I was listening to Malcolm Taylor explain something he had done on my M240, remember nodding knowledgeably when I hadn't really got a clue what he was on about, well now I know, lightbulb on moment.  Thanks again forum members.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2019 at 10:33 PM, Daedalus2000 said:

Another thing that worried me is that in this web page http://leica.nemeng.com/034b.shtml it says "DO NOT PUSH AGAINST THE RANGEFINDER ARM". I am not sure why it says that and if it is really a big problem,

Inadvertently bending the arm will throw off mid-range accuracy - a rare occurrence. There even used to be a special "bending tool" to adjust.

On 12/7/2019 at 11:31 AM, peterm1_Leica said:

The tool which is made in china was not Cheap but is cheaper than hiring an technician to do it for you which is why I went down this route

It is even cheaper to grind a small screwdriver down. ;)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/14/2020 at 5:24 AM, Boojay said:

I love this forum.  Purchased a lightly used M10 (after drowning my own), when it arrived focussing on a very distant telegraph pole, at infinity there were two very distinct poles and at close distance front focus was terrible.  Took the plunge and now all is perfect!!  Thanks everyone.  I now feel so much more rangefinder savvy, it's taken a while.  Incidentally the seller said he had never noticed anything off but sold because he struggled with rangefinder focussing?  

I look back a few years to when I was listening to Malcolm Taylor explain something he had done on my M240, remember nodding knowledgeably when I hadn't really got a clue what he was on about, well now I know, lightbulb on moment.  Thanks again forum members.

And I just bought Tailwagger's M10 (he's picking up the 10R this week) and he tells me I need to read this thread and fix the vertical as well!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bags27 said:

And I just bought Tailwagger's M10 (he's picking up the 10R this week) and he tells me I need to read this thread and fix the vertical as well!

Oh exciting Ken.. ..enjoy, know you absolutely will and you have your 35 FLE, beautiful combination.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boojay said:

Oh exciting Ken.. ..enjoy, know you absolutely will and you have your 35 FLE, beautiful combination.

Thanks so much, Jayne. I swapped my Q for a M50 Lux ASPH (I swear I'm not trying to copy you!) and that should be nice, too.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Hi everyone!

I just got myself a Minolta CLE (like a smaller M7) and I have the following problem: the horizontal alignment is perfect,  the vertical one however is slightly off (the moving image remains always a constant bit bellow the fixed one). It is true it makes the focussing a bit more difficult, which, eventually, I can live with if I were sure this doesn't have an impact on the sharpness. Is this the case, or do I really have to send the camera back for servicing (which I would hate to do, given the lack or scarcity of service for such an old camera)? Thanks in advance for your help.

3 hours ago, sorinlaz said:

Hi everyone!

I just got myself a Minolta CLE (like a smaller M7) and I have the following problem: the horizontal alignment is perfect,  the vertical one however is slightly off (the moving image remains always a constant bit bellow the fixed one). It is true it makes the focussing a bit more difficult, which, eventually, I can live with if I were sure this doesn't have an impact on the sharpness. Is this the case, or do I really have to send the camera back for servicing (which I would hate to do, given the lack or scarcity of service for such an old camera)? Thanks in advance for your help.

The rangefinder mechanisms of the CL and CLE are quite different from the Leica mechanisms. There are apparently some differences between the CL and the CLE as well. You should be able to find calibration instructions on the web, even if they don't seem very complete. If I read them correctly, under the removable cover on the top plate there should be a cogwheel you need to turn to adjust vertical alignment and then you will need to adjust horizontal alignment with one of the screws.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, I am curious. I have the M10P and want to take the screw off to adjust the vertical alignment but worrying about the glue part. I have tried horizontal alignment on the MP240 before but that was easy. I am worried about the weather sealing after I screw the screw off and on. Will this affect the weather sealing capability?

• 1 year later...

Hello community,

Just purchased an M10 and the vertical alignment was a bit off. Focus was still accurate so not that big of a problem. Leica store mentioned it could be 400-500$ and 2-3 months to repair.

Thanks to all the info here I tried to fix it myself. 2 wooden chopsticks to rotate the red Leica logo back and forth. Small movements each way and it easily came off after a bit. No damage done anywhere. No need for hair dryer. 2mm hex with VERY VERY TINY movements and the alignment was perfect. Red dot back on with no additional glue. I have some tape covering it so not really concerned. 

Blows my mind how easy and quick it was. Less than 5 minutes. Unless I am not aware of something I have no idea why it would cost that much and take that long. Or why a Leica store isn't able to do that in a couple days. They probably have some spec they must meet......

Thanks to everyone that posted the info!