Q2 tracking autofocus - exposure and front focusing behavior

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been playing with the tracking autofocus on my Q2, and have noticed a couple interesting behaviors:

• The camera seems to use the tracking box not only for determining focus, but also setting exposure. This works very well and is quite useful as a default behavior, but I wonder if anyone has tried to decouple exposure from focus point in tracking autofocus. (I only tested this in matrix exposure metering mode.)
  • More concerning, I found that the tracking autofocus was exhibiting significant front focus issues, on the order of several feet. I compared spot focus with tracking, and the difference in the plane of focus is startling. It's so bad that I wonder if I am doing something wrong, or misunderstanding how this should work. All these tests are in single autofocus mode, but I can feel the focusing motor moving as I recompose, which is what you would expect, since swinging the camera changes the distance to the target object.

I should add that the stickiness of the tracking is excellent and impressive. I just can't figure out why the camera isn't focusing on what's in the box.