Another reason for poor focus peaking

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I noticed a loss of contrast on my images. Looking at the sensor, it appeared slightly less shiny than usual. A quick wet clean removed the haze and suddenly the focus peaking was twice as effective. 
The haze might have been caused by the conditionsI was using the camera under. 30 degrees, 100% moisture and salt air. 
So: is focus peaking is less than expected, first wet-clean your sensor. And lens as well, I suppose ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I noticed a loss of contrast on my images. Looking at the sensor, it appeared slightly less shiny than usual. A quick wet clean removed the haze and suddenly the focus peaking was twice as effective. 
The haze might have been caused by the conditionsI was using the camera under. 30 degrees, 100% moisture and salt air. 
So: is focus peaking is less than expected, first wet-clean your sensor. And lens as well, I suppose ;)

Any particular sort of wet wipe? I’m terrified about applying something that damages the sensor.

I use isopropyl alcohol and a pad for wet wiping

I use a pentax sticky pen for removing 'bits' when needed.

Sensor coatings are a lot better than they were back in the Nikon D200 days when I trashed my sensor... TWICE!

I I have cleaned all my Leica's and never had an issue using pec pads or kim wipes.

It is bloody scary though first time, lol. 

For travel I take Green Clean premoistened wet+dry packs. I also had Smear Away and wipes. In this case I needed both and two cleaning sessions to get the sensor clean. TBH I noticed this when out in the bush and used the tail of myT-shirt and a lens cloth to get rid of the condensation mist  that was provoked by the haze. It left the sensor smeared at the edges but the photographs were fine. 
For dust I have a blower and EyeLead stamping tool, Sony type. 
As an aside, despite mud splatters, water splashes, tropical downpours, salt sea air  and high temperatures the CL  soldiered on bravely. The only trouble I had was having to wipe the lens contacts occasionally 

It is going in for a CLA as soon as I return ;)

• Like 2