How to turn on location of the photo in Leica CL?

eev776

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just got my new Leica CL with APO-VARIO-ELMAR-TL 1:3.5-4.5/55-135 ASPH. lens.

I'm trying to find out how to turn on location of the photo taken, so it can be displayed in my Finder or on Flickr, I could not find it in menu settings, anybody knows?

Thanks a lot! 

The CL does not have a GPS receiver. Hence, it has no way of "knowing" where it is. Use your phone to record your whereabouts and add the information to the pictures in post with one of the many good apps. One of my favorites is GPS4CAM.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb dau:

The CL does not have a GPS receiver. Hence, it has no way of "knowing" where it is. Use your phone to record your whereabouts and add the information to the pictures in post with one of the many good apps. One of my favorites is GPS4CAM.

I agree with you that it very easy to track your position with an app on your cell phone. Nevertheless I must say that while I used GPS4CAM it did very often not work well (you will find a lot of complaints in the web). I sometimes could not start the app or there were other problems. At the end (after the trip) you had the to photograph the QR code that this app generated (you had to photograph the screen of your phone that displays the QR code). After a long trip I had many, many such codes. With my Leica lenses with minimal focus distance of 70cm I had big problems to photograph these code from the screen of the phone. I had to take my Canon with appropriate lens. After I had done that work the GPS data of course was not on your photographs yet . . . you see: a complicated procedure that I followed quite a while (and often it did not work at all). Recently here in the LUF someone proposed an alternative app: GeoTagr (yes, it has an r at the end). I bought this app (for Apple from App Store). I would seriously propose to use this App: Mainly when you use Lightroom. By the means of Airdrop (or as well Dropbox or a simple Mail) you transfer your data to your computer (very simple). In the Map module of Lightroom you do the rest. For me this is an excellent app that uses almost no battery from the phone (even with its default settings of continuous tracking). I would go for GeoTagr.

Yes, with some cameras it could be tricky to take a sharp picture of th QR code, and if you did not do that, the GPS4CAM app can not properly time your photographs. Apart from that, the app worked flawlessly for me. During longer trips, remember to take the QR every evening, and all goes well.

However, I also use normal GPS tracking tools. Any tool will do as long as it exports the track in the GPX format.