Overgaard Lens Shade Not Received

dlcarr

• 2 weeks later...

The markup on these shades is absurd.  It's a simple machining job, you could support local (or at least not Chinese) businesses and get these made or find somebody who does them.  Especially on Leica where the theme is the opposite of cheap stuff made in China.  Why put a Chinese lens hood on your camera?  

Biggest thing really though, is the customer service is beyond inexcusable.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jake-leica said:

The markup on these shades is absurd.  It's a simple machining job, you could support local (or at least not Chinese) businesses and get these made or find somebody who does them.  Especially on Leica where the theme is the opposite of cheap stuff made in China.  Why put a Chinese lens hood on your camera?  

So ... you're proposing a cheap, locally-made, copy instead of the genuine Chinese hood?  (I'm not criticising in any way, just enjoying the delicious irony because for so long it's been the other way round. ^_^)

Pete.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

wow I looked at his website $199 for a lens shade/hood that to my mind makes no sense at all. Without an OVF a ventilated hood makes is of no use and it appears to offer less weather protection to the front element if photographing in the rain and is larger than the standard hood. The only reason I can see to use it is if you want a polariser filter and need to turn it but then this hood really isn't providing any meaningful shading. Anyway each to his own

Edited by viramati
  • Like 3

On 10/15/2021 at 6:10 AM, farnz said:

So ... you're proposing a cheap, locally-made, copy instead of the genuine Chinese hood?  (I'm not criticising in any way, just enjoying the delicious irony because for so long it's been the other way round. ^_^)

Pete.

Perhaps the gentleman from Rhode Island could be an alternate source of custom made lens shades, as opposed to doing business with the elephant hide king:  https://skgrimes.com/services/custom-fabrication/#range

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

Overgaard Is an over rated Leica Guru who uses his name to sell cheap Chinese made products you can buy less than 1/2 the price on eBay. He may have had some talent 40 years ago but nobody knows him now. Wasting money on his overpriced courses or products just encourages him to continue taking advantage of us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I must be one of the few people who received the lens hood within a reasonable time.  Perhaps I was lucky.  I use it on the Q2M because I like to change filters (yellow or orange) and that's awkward with the Leica lens hood.

The Overgaard shade is well made, but it is worth the asking price?  Probably not.  Would I buy anything else from his website?  Probably not.

Currently,  They're all showing in stock.  I'm willing to purchase another one..  but if i get any service LESS than satisfactory i wont buy another.

I'll make it my life's work  to let everyone about the horrible service.

BTW  I have a UNUSED RED hood  that i'm willing to  sell.  

I purchased two lens shades for my Q2 and Q2M in June, knowing that they were out of stock. During the purchase process I received emails promptly. I noticed they are back in stock. Not a word about shipping. I have emailed once a week since October 10 and have heard nothing. I have opened a dispute with PayPal. I wishI had known about the elephant hide bags earlier as I would have never bought from him. 

What I cannot understand, is why, with all the criticism about poor service and delivery of his lens hoods; and the negative comments about his books in this “Q Section”, he doesn’t make any attempt to comment. I believe he participates in the forum and would have thought he would want to try and defend himself and make peace with his customers.

I have only met the guy once when he gave a presentation to the Leica Society but have never bought anything from him.

Am 21.10.2019 um 05:01 schrieb dlcarr:

I ordered an Overgaard lens shade in late August and paid the additional for "expedited" shipping, but so far, nothing.  After numerous attempts at contacting the organization, I finally got an email from an associate who assured me I was "on the list" and that I would receive it shortly.  That was two weeks ago.  Has anyone else had a similar experience, or is this unique?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

why do they do that?
did leica not have any more?