a second hand M10 or  a brand new M-E(type 240, 2019) ?

chineseleaf

11 minutes ago, chineseleaf said:

I'm going to buy a second hand M10. But I'm not sure if  it's still worth to buy in 2019. Could you give me any suggestion?  Compare a second hand M10 with  a brand new M-E(type 240, 2019), which one is better ?

I’d definitely go with the second hand M10

• Like 2

Define "better." For what purpose - video? low-light pictures? "feel?"

The M10 is a 2017 camera.

The M-E (240) is a 2012 camera - repackaged in a 2019 skin to get rid of the remaining stock.

The M10 cannot shoot video - in just about every other way it is superior (smaller, lighter, color rendition, dynamic range, usable high ISOs, rationalized menu and button arrangement, improved optical viewfinder, improved optional electronic viewfinder).

The M-E 240 can shoot video, costs less, is available in a nice anthracite-silver paint, and includes a fresh 2-year warranty.

Let's put it this way. I have two M10s, and they are, at this point, "well-used." I would not swap them for new M-Es, even if offered the $1000 difference in current value (each). Too many things about the M10 that I use all the time are lacking in the M-E.

However, for someone with no M at all, and a limited budget, and modest needs, the M-E is decent for how Leica promotes it, as a gateway into the M system.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, adan said:

Define "better." For what purpose - video? low-light pictures? "feel?"

The M10 is a 2017 camera.

The M-E (240) is a 2012 camera - repackaged in a 2019 skin to get rid of the remaining stock.

The M10 cannot shoot video - in just about every other way it is superior (smaller, lighter, color rendition, dynamic range, usable high ISOs, rationalized menu and button arrangement, improved optical viewfinder, improved optional electronic viewfinder).

The M-E 240 can shoot video, costs less, is available in a nice anthracite-silver paint, and includes a fresh 2-year warranty.

Let's put it this way. I have two M10s, and they are, at this point, "well-used." I would not swap them for new M-Es, even if offered the $1000 difference in current value (each). Too many things about the M10 that I use all the time are lacking in the M-E.

However, for someone with no M at all, and a limited budget, and modest needs, the M-E is decent for how Leica promotes it, as a gateway into the M system.

Thank you very much ! Your answer is really helped me.  I've decided to buy the second hand M10 as my first M camera ! Thanks again.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, chineseleaf said:

I'm going to buy a second hand M10. But I'm not sure if  it's still worth to buy in 2019. Could you give me any suggestion?  Compare a second hand M10 with  a brand new M-E(type 240, 2019), which one is better ?

Still worth it? It’s an amazing camera. Defo go with the used M10 for still photography :) 

• Like 2

I would much rather buy the older model brand new.

Then everything you do or whatever happens to that camera is down to you.

With a used camera your just guessing how its been looked after by its appearance.

On 10/22/2019 at 1:00 PM, steve 1959 said:

I would much rather buy the older model brand new.

Then everything you do or whatever happens to that camera is down to you.

With a used camera your just guessing how its been looked after by its appearance.

Buy if from the bay, yes, it’s a mystery. Get it here in the classifieds from a known quantity or a reputable dealer, no issues at all. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, james.liam said:

Buy if from the bay, yes, it’s a mystery. Get it here in the classifieds from a known quantity or a reputable dealer, no issues at all. 

With respect you still have no idea how the camera was treated or stored before it arrived at the dealer.

In addition to Andy’s (adan’s)  comparison, the M10 has better weather sealing, but sacrifices battery life somewhat.  

That said, if you’ve never used an M, you might not appreciate all the finer distinctions. I’ve owned both and any picture deficiencies are mostly attributable to me, especially after custom profiling for color differences.  

Either way, buy only from a reputable dealer with warranty.  And be sure that your vision is corrected for any astigmatism or distance issues (via glasses and/or diopter) to optimize viewing (the focus patch is set at a virtual distance of 2m on both cameras).

By the way, you could also buy a used M240 to start, and maybe enjoy a better lens or photo trip.

Jeff

• Like 1