Does M9 still goof theseday

khoaviet

I think the M9 is still an interesting and usable camera.  The files are amazing.  But there are drawbacks.  It has a small buffer, so not many shots before it slows down.  High ISO performance is from 10 years ago, not today.  The menus are clunky, and the LCD screen is small and lacks detail.  But if you know what you are doing, you can create amazing images with the camera, which are state of the art even by today's standards.   My M9 has a replaced sensor, and has not had any trouble since replacement.  I would definitely not buy one without a new sensor, unless it was insanely cheap.

The M10 is fast, has a bigger buffer, better viewfinder, excellent high-ISO performance and LCD screen, plus live view, so you can use lenses wider than 28mm without an external viewfinder.  There is also a electronic viewfinder that works well.  Image quality is great, file size is about 40% larger (though M9 is plenty..)  I've never owned a M240 so can't comment on that.

I think if you have $2000, buy an M9. $3500 get a 240, and $5000 get an M10.  And if you can swing an M-10P I think it's definitely worth the extra money.

What do you  mean still goof,  I sold my M10 to return to my beloved M9! The sensor problem is not a big deal really. The M9 is still running smoothly after 10 years after a heart transplantation half way. I see hardly complaints about it here and that’s significant on a forum like this. And this is btw a nice thing for Leica: they keep their character of long term reliability.
The higher the hyped up ISO in digital camera’s, the worse the colors, that’s my view - pun intended. Noise and grain are a part of life, you can see it with your own eyes in twilight. Don’t try to overcome that with ISO 6400. Available light photography is really gone if you go higher than ISO 1600, why would you want to make daylight pictures out of the night?

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 10/21/2019 at 7:37 PM, otto.f said:

What do you  mean still goof,  I sold my M10 to return to my beloved M9! The sensor problem is not a big deal really. The M9 is still running smoothly after 10 years after a heart transplantation half way. I see hardly complaints about it here and that’s significant on a forum like this. And this is btw a nice thing for Leica: they keep their character of long term reliability.
The higher the hyped up ISO in digital camera’s, the worse the colors, that’s my view - pun intended. Noise and grain are a part of life, you can see it with your own eyes in twilight. Don’t try to overcome that with ISO 6400. Available light photography is really gone if you go higher than ISO 1600, why would you want to make daylight pictures out of the night?

Agree, after a lot of research which camera to buy when already having M10-D I concluded a prestine sample of M9-P would be a nice present to myself.

I would much more recommend M9 to newer M240. My beliefs is that the M9 and M9-P will hold or increase in value.

Remember if your searching for used  CCD leica buy with replaced Sensor 🔴 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought an M9 new 9 years ago, and other than initial SD card issues and a new sensor 3 years ago the camera has worked flawlessly.  For a while I had trouble liking the colours until I upgraded my computer.  The problem , I discovered was not with the camera but with the old laptop computer colours.  I still enjoy using the M9 and have no desire to upgrade. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did a test drive with the M10 and loved its handling, it's such a well made camera. However, the (subjective) feeling remains that the M9 still rocks in the IQ dept, at least in certain situations. 

Had my 'Jurassic' M9 recently serviced at Wetzlar for a minor issue, got it cleaned and adjusted (cost 47 euro's),  and fell in love with it again, don't think I will ever sell it.       

• Like 2

12 hours ago, xiaoheli said:

I sold M10 and returned to M9... For the signature color and constraint, film like shooting style I go to M9 (or film M), for capable CMOS sensor, convenient EVF and even AF possibility to work with Noctilux I go to Sony...

2 hours ago, WvE said:

Did a test drive with the M10 and loved its handling, it's such a well made camera. However, the (subjective) feeling remains that the M9 still rocks in the IQ dept, at least in certain situations. 

Had my 'Jurassic' M9 recently serviced at Wetzlar for a minor issue, got it cleaned and adjusted (cost 47 euro's),  and fell in love with it again, don't think I will ever sell it.       

Very interesting. I just read yesterday how one person in Russia went m240, m10 and then sold them all and returned to m9p. He also claimed to use them professionally.

I was thinking of updating to m-e mk ii for weather seals and battery, but on low iso it has typical low iso noise of cmos sensor.