Not Totally New To Forum But First Leica!

Unkei

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

I have been a forum member for awhile, but till three days ago, I only dreamed of owning a Leica! I wanted to go old school and get a film Leica or possibly a Leica M Monochrom. But I am old (72+) and retired LEO (36+ years) so on a severely fixed and limited income! When I added up the cost of a Leica Body and even one Leica Prime Lens...I just had to accept that barring the winning lottery ticket....it just wasn’t in my future!  LOL!  So..I ordered and now have a Leica D-Lux 7 in my hot little hands. Yes...I know...its basically a Panasonic with a Red Dot, but that is enough to make me very happy. I’m not new to photography...been in the game for most of my life...starting with my dad’s rangefinder ( brand not in memory anymore ), and proceeding to a Pentax SLR system, then Minolta SLR  system, then a Nikon SLR system, finally dipping my toes into the digital world with some of the first digital cameras.  They weren’t cheap at the time and the first might have had a 10x combination digital and optical zoom! My latest system in that world ( till now! ) was and still is a Canon EOS 60D with both medium and long telephoto lenses. Also have a nice little Nikon,  S550. All in all its a nice compact camera with decent capabilities. But darn it....I’ve lusted after the Red Dot for as long as I can remember as an adult! So now I have a nice PanaLeica...and I’m happy.

Cheers,

Unkei  (David)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Unkei
Extra system info
  • Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

59 minutes ago, lykaman said:

Not just ~~. Leica D-Lux7  --  I had the D-Lux4 Marvelous camera,,

Well...I said that because there are so many who diss the D-Lux 7 as just a Panasonic with a Red Dot! As for me, I am perfectly happy!

Cheers,

Unkei (David)

• 2 months later...
On 10/21/2019 at 1:46 PM, Unkei said:

Well...I said that because there are so many who diss the D-Lux 7 as just a Panasonic with a Red Dot! As for me, I am perfectly happy!

Cheers,

Unkei (David)

Well, it technically is "just a Panasonic with a Red Dot" but anyone who disses it as such is silly and probably hasn't used this little beast of a camera. You have a heck of a camera and welcome to Leica ownership. I thoroughly enjoy my D-lux and it packs a punch in a very tiny package.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah..I love the little guy. Unfortunately, because of my extreme sensitivity to the cold, I’ve had to limit my use of the D-Lux to the house, but will be giving it a real workout once the weather breaks here. (And unfortunately, by breaks, I mean 75 degrees F!) Well...I said I was extremely sensitive to the cold! LOL!

Cheers,

Unkei ( David )

10 hours ago, dkmoore said:

Well, it technically is "just a Panasonic with a Red Dot" but anyone who disses it as such is silly and probably hasn't used this little beast of a camera. You have a heck of a camera and welcome to Leica ownership. I thoroughly enjoy my D-lux and it packs a punch in a very tiny package.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Unkei said:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah..I love the little guy. Unfortunately, because of my extreme sensitivity to the cold, I’ve had to limit my use of the D-Lux to the house, but will be giving it a real workout once the weather breaks here. (And unfortunately, by breaks, I mean 75 degrees F!) Well...I said I was extremely sensitive to the cold! LOL!

Cheers,

Unkei ( David )

Buy thermals and bundle up... Winter (snow) can be great for b/w pics. :)

Jeff

6 hours ago, Unkei said:

Hi,

Cheers,

Unkei ( David )

There are solutions: ;)

https://www.thewarmingstore.com/heatedclothing.html

• 3 weeks later...

Same I'm new to Leica cameras. I was just wondering what's the best camera to buy for a beginner since I'm not that familiar?

I was always using Nikon D7500 and I felt it is time to change my camera for a new start. Btw, I'm no professional photographer and only doing this to have fun or for my own leisure. Probably if I get better I'll try to  sell my own photos online.

For now my plan is to sell my old camera to have funds or is it better if I try this option to use my old camera and capture images and save funds.

They have the option to rent to buy or sell your old cameras here https://www.adoramarentals.com/

I really don't know what to do. I really want a new camera lol.