Jump to content
Unkei

Not Totally New To Forum But First Leica!

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

I have been a forum member for awhile, but till three days ago, I only dreamed of owning a Leica! I wanted to go old school and get a film Leica or possibly a Leica M Monochrom. But I am old (72+) and retired LEO (36+ years) so on a severely fixed and limited income! When I added up the cost of a Leica Body and even one Leica Prime Lens...I just had to accept that barring the winning lottery ticket....it just wasn’t in my future!  LOL!  So..I ordered and now have a Leica D-Lux 7 in my hot little hands. Yes...I know...its basically a Panasonic with a Red Dot, but that is enough to make me very happy. I’m not new to photography...been in the game for most of my life...starting with my dad’s rangefinder ( brand not in memory anymore ), and proceeding to a Pentax SLR system, then Minolta SLR  system, then a Nikon SLR system, finally dipping my toes into the digital world with some of the first digital cameras.  They weren’t cheap at the time and the first might have had a 10x combination digital and optical zoom! My latest system in that world ( till now! ) was and still is a Canon EOS 60D with both medium and long telephoto lenses. Also have a nice little Nikon,  S550. All in all its a nice compact camera with decent capabilities. But darn it....I’ve lusted after the Red Dot for as long as I can remember as an adult! So now I have a nice PanaLeica...and I’m happy.

Cheers,

Unkei  (David)

 

Edited by Unkei
Extra system info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, welcome to The Red Dot Club ~  Which model Camera & Lens? Lets see some pics...  L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lykaman said:

Hi, welcome to The Red Dot Club ~  Which model Camera & Lens? Lets see some pics...  L

Hi lykaman,

Just the D-Lux 7, so fixed lens

Cheers,

Unkei (David)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, Unkei said:

Hi lykaman,

Just the D-Lux 7, so fixed lens

Cheers,

Unkei (David)

Not just ~~. Leica D-Lux7  --  I had the D-Lux4 Marvelous camera,,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, lykaman said:

Not just ~~. Leica D-Lux7  --  I had the D-Lux4 Marvelous camera,,

Well...I said that because there are so many who diss the D-Lux 7 as just a Panasonic with a Red Dot! As for me, I am perfectly happy!

Cheers,

Unkei (David)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 1:46 PM, Unkei said:

Well...I said that because there are so many who diss the D-Lux 7 as just a Panasonic with a Red Dot! As for me, I am perfectly happy!

Cheers,

Unkei (David)

Well, it technically is "just a Panasonic with a Red Dot" but anyone who disses it as such is silly and probably hasn't used this little beast of a camera. You have a heck of a camera and welcome to Leica ownership. I thoroughly enjoy my D-lux and it packs a punch in a very tiny package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah..I love the little guy. Unfortunately, because of my extreme sensitivity to the cold, I’ve had to limit my use of the D-Lux to the house, but will be giving it a real workout once the weather breaks here. (And unfortunately, by breaks, I mean 75 degrees F!) Well...I said I was extremely sensitive to the cold! LOL!

Cheers,

Unkei ( David )

10 hours ago, dkmoore said:

Well, it technically is "just a Panasonic with a Red Dot" but anyone who disses it as such is silly and probably hasn't used this little beast of a camera. You have a heck of a camera and welcome to Leica ownership. I thoroughly enjoy my D-lux and it packs a punch in a very tiny package.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Unkei said:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah..I love the little guy. Unfortunately, because of my extreme sensitivity to the cold, I’ve had to limit my use of the D-Lux to the house, but will be giving it a real workout once the weather breaks here. (And unfortunately, by breaks, I mean 75 degrees F!) Well...I said I was extremely sensitive to the cold! LOL!

Cheers,

Unkei ( David )

 

Buy thermals and bundle up... Winter (snow) can be great for b/w pics. :)

Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Unkei said:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah..I love the little guy. Unfortunately, because of my extreme sensitivity to the cold, I’ve had to limit my use of the D-Lux to the house, but will be giving it a real workout once the weather breaks here. (And unfortunately, by breaks, I mean 75 degrees F!) Well...I said I was extremely sensitive to the cold! LOL!

Cheers,

Unkei ( David )

 

There are solutions: ;)

https://www.thewarmingstore.com/heatedclothing.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same I'm new to Leica cameras. I was just wondering what's the best camera to buy for a beginner since I'm not that familiar?

 

I was always using Nikon D7500 and I felt it is time to change my camera for a new start. Btw, I'm no professional photographer and only doing this to have fun or for my own leisure. Probably if I get better I'll try to  sell my own photos online.

For now my plan is to sell my old camera to have funds or is it better if I try this option to use my old camera and capture images and save funds.

They have the option to rent to buy or sell your old cameras here https://www.adoramarentals.com/

 

I really don't know what to do. I really want a new camera lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy