Member names misused for spam?

UliWer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perhaps you have also recieved spam mails to your private mail accounts in the past when you were addressed by phantasy names who pretend they want to contact you or send you anything. The mails contain a link which you are asked to follow ... and if you do so, you'll run severe risks of phishing or malware. I always delete those mails on first notice without looking further at them.

Today it was the first time I got  such a mail by a "name" which is identical to a member's name in this forum. I am completely sure that the "name" used in this mail is false and the member who uses an identical name here never sent me this mail. 

It may be just an incident that the machine which obviously sends the spam invented the same name as the member here. Though from my workplace I know that spam attackers do "steal" real names (or pseudonyms) the addressed person knows to make their spam look less suspicious and increase the risks that someone follows the link. 

So if other users also get spam in their private mail accounts which look as if they came from members of this forum it may be useful to report this, so the Admin could try to find some means to prevent this or at least warn other members. If I am the only one with this experience, I think it was just an incident.

• Thanks 2