Advice for shooting inside Antelope Canyon?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, stevej2001 said:

I was using a Canon 20d at the time (it was 2006) and at the end of the session every control was gritty as was the lens focusing and zoom rings. I'd think with the weather sealing a Q2 would do better, but do you dare take so expensive a camera into the canyons? 

Trust me I have serious reservations about taking the Q2 into such a dusty environment. I recently discovered a speck of dust in my EVF after just having taken a few photos in my backyard after my trees were trimmed. 

I've read a few comments on the LF where users who have used the Q2 in dusty conditions have gotten pushback from Leica refusing to service (clean) the camera under warranty. I am in no rush to test Leica's interpretation of "weather sealed" with my new camera. 

If I go forward with using the Q2 I will at least use some sort of rain jacket or DIY cover. 

Some disappointing news- I just discovered that "photography tours" of LOWER AC were discontinued recently. Apparently lower AC has soared in popularity and has become almost as overcrowded as Upper AC. The 2 main tour operators in LOWER AC now ban tripods, monopods, etc on their tours. Hand held photography is still permitted.

Of course I still plan on visiting LOWER AC but without a tripod I am greatly restricted in shutter speed. 

8 hours ago, Matsaly said:

Some disappointing news- I just discovered that "photography tours" of LOWER AC were discontinued recently. Apparently lower AC has soared in popularity and has become almost as overcrowded as Upper AC. The 2 main tour operators in LOWER AC now ban tripods, monopods, etc on their tours. Hand held photography is still permitted.

Of course I still plan on visiting LOWER AC but without a tripod I am greatly restricted in shutter speed. 

An alternative is “Secret Canyon”. Nearby Page, AZ and accessible using the tour operator 4WD. My experience there was also excellent. Only two people on our tour. Tripods we’re allowed and the tour guide was very helpful. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60834-d12188623-Reviews-Horseshoe_Bend_Slot_Canyon_Tours-Page_Arizona.html?m=55593

Very disappointing about no Photography Tour at AC. The Navajo’s in charge of AC have a gold mine and are maximizing their profits I’d guess. 

Edited by Leica Guy
  • Like 1

• stuny changed the title to Advice for shooting insidhttps://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/302514-advice-for-shooting-inside-antelope-canyon/e Antelope Canyon?

13 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

An alternative is “Secret Canyon”. Nearby Page, AZ and accessible using the tour operator 4WD. My experience there was also excellent. Only two people on our tour. Tripods we’re allowed and the tour guide was very helpful. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60834-d12188623-Reviews-Horseshoe_Bend_Slot_Canyon_Tours-Page_Arizona.html?m=55593

Very disappointing about no Photography Tour at AC. The Navajo’s in charge of AC have a gold mine and are maximizing their profits I’d guess. 

For those following this thread let me elaborate. Photo tours are still offered at UPPER Antelope Canyon. But photo tours are discontinued at LOWER Antelope Canyon.The tours of LOWER AC permit handheld photography but now ban tripods. monopods, selfie sticks, etc.      

Dan- For purposes of clarity you mention both "Magic Canyon" and now "Secret Canyon". Are these one and the same place? Just seeking clarification.  

22 minutes ago, Matsaly said:

For those following this thread let me elaborate. Photo tours are still offered at UPPER Antelope Canyon. But photo tours are discontinued at LOWER Antelope Canyon.The tours of LOWER AC permit handheld photography but now ban tripods. monopods, selfie sticks, etc.      

Dan- For purposes of clarity you mention both "Magic Canyon" and now "Secret Canyon". Are these one and the same place? Just seeking clarification.  

I think I was remembering wrong. Secret Canyon is what I get with a search on slot canyons near Page AZ. 

If Upper Antelope is available for a photography Tour, I think that’s still worry the extra money. 

Edited by Leica Guy

Secret canyon is spectuclar, and nearly empty, as were some others.  Go back a page to my link to photos from there and others lot canyons.

BTW:  If you go the cost (high) of staying at the Atman resort near there they can arrange private tours with excellent guides almost everywhere in the area.  We most especially enjoyed the wonderful treatment from "Yair"-mo (Short for Guillermo), and a HumVee private tour to places one couldn't normally go.  

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, stuny said:

Secret canyon is spectuclar, and nearly empty, as were some others.  Go back a page to my link to photos from there and others lot canyons.

BTW:  If you go the cost (high) of staying at the Atman resort near there they can arrange private tours with excellent guides almost everywhere in the area.  We most especially enjoyed the wonderful treatment from "Yair"-mo (Short for Guillermo), and a HumVee private tour to places one couldn't normally go.  

Thank you Stuny. Our schedule only allows for 1 full day in Page, AZ. 

As a 1st time visitor I'm in a quandry whether to choose between a morning tour of a "famous" spot like Upper AC (with the attendant crowds) or a more private spot like Secret Canyon.

Since I am going in early December I don't expect the crowds at Upper AC to be as voluminous as they would be during the peak summer months so it's harder to make that decision.

I plan on going on the "walk through tour" of Lower AC later that day and will do the best I can with handheld shots. (No tripods allowed). 

Last but not least, thanks for the info on the resort. Unfortunately I could not find any property matching that name. 

13 hours ago, stuny said:

BTW:  If you go the cost (high) of staying at the Atman resort near there they can arrange private tours with excellent guides almost everywhere in the area.  

As we did last year .  High cost indeed. Amazing place but cost more than the rest of the whole trip put together. 
The other, lesser-known, canyons were a real treat (and completely deserted) 🙂

Sorry. I like to blame my keyboard for my typos.  The resort is Amangiri, over the border in Utah. The deserted beautiful canyons we visited were Secret, Wire Rope, Owl and Rattlesnake. We also visited Upper Antelope. We visited in May 2014.   Go to our site, to Photo Galleries, to North America, to US Southwest (AZ, UT) 5/14. The 2nd through 5th pages all have some slot canyon photos on them from those 5 canyons. 

19 minutes ago, Matsaly said:

No worries. I will check out Amangiri.

I perused your photo galleries. Nice work. I hope I get a few noteworthy shots that I can share.

Truthfully you cannot go wrong visiting any of the canyons. My preference given what you said about Lower AC is to go to Secret and Upper. Taking a tripod and in the UAC the photography tour. LAC with all the crowds and handheld would just frustrate me. Your milage might vary though so go and have fun and you’ll make great memories. 

• Leon_B. changed the title to Advice for shooting inside Antelope Canyon?