Brothers at arms - Part II

John Z. Goriup

Advertisement (gone after registration)

While participating in the "name this car" thread with my recent puzzle car, a '64 Series II Ferrari GTO, I couldn't help but think back to a very exciting week back in 2011 when the Ferrari marque was the featured brand at the world-famous Monterey Histotics ( by '11 it had been renamed Monterey Car Week), an annual vintage car event featuring the worlds most collectible, historic and rare automobiles in a variety of venues, including Laguna Seca race track, casual car shows, and one of the world's premier Concours, the invitation-only Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. For that year's edition, the organizing committee had somehow miraculously managed to assemble 21 of the 36 original Ferrari GTOs in one place on the lawn for the first and most likely only time in history. 

Photo 1shows the remarkable line-up of these cars during the early hours of staging for the official opening of the event, starting with the 'Azzuri Blue' 250 pininfarina GT which served as the development mule for the GTO and was effcetively the prototype for the subsequent 'production' GTOs.............a very special day which I will remember for a long time. It's rare enough to see a real GTO, let alone 21 of them, and to listen to their high-strung V-12s during staging was a real treat. As I was standing there, enthralled by the sight and sound of it all, a world famous automtive journalist standing next to me and furiously snapping away with his Leica M6, leaned over to shout in my ear - "You realize of course that even Enzo himself never saw that many GTOs in one place at one time".

How true.

Leica M9-P / 35mm Summilux Asph.

JZG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

33 GTOs were built and achieved unprecedented success for Ferrari, winning the FIA World Sportscar Championship 3 years in a row.

Photo II shows one of the original cars.

JZG

and achieved unprecedented success for Ferrari, winning the FIA World Sportscar Championship 3 years in a row.

Photo II shows one of the original '62 / '63 GTOs. 

• Like 2

In preparation for the '64 season, and to continue the run of success the GTOs had enjoyed, Ferrari tried to pass off the newly developed mid-engined 250 LM asthe replacement for GTOs in the sportscar world championships, but the FIA was onto 'il Vecchio' and his schemes and denied certification based on not having built anywhere near enough cars ( 100 were required to quality as a production sports car ). Thus, being left without a new entry in the class & In an attempt to salvage some competitiveness for the GTO, Enzo instructed his chief engineer, Mauro Forghieri, to improve the GTO as much as possible and stay within the rules. Three new cars, based on the GTOs but utilizing the 250LM roof and rear structure in a feeble last-ditch attempt to sway the FIA into believing the 250 LM was indeed a mere continuation to the older, slower and larger GTO were built for the factory team, with four of the original GTOs being reconfigured by original builder Scaglietti to share the 'tunnel roof' of the factory team cars and were chiefly planned for sale to racing customers.

Photo 3 shows one of the 3 'Team cars', and clearly reveals the differences and the sleek new profile which helped achieve higher speeds & help somewhat in keeping GTOs competitive, but the days of the models dominance among sports racing cars were numbered.

JZG

• Like 1

Photos 4 & 5 - these two rear views illustrate the differences between an 'original' GTO and one of the latter Series II 'team' cars.

Photo #4

JZG

• Like 1

Photo #5 - the earlier, 'original', and in my opinion far more attractive GTO.

JZG

• Like 1

Photo #6 - the final image of this series, showing one of the four 'rebodied' Series II 'customer' cars.

JZG

• Like 1

Simply Mouthwatering... Thanks..

My Sons Ferrari..(new aquasition)