After Mikas?

mmx_2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi!

I just bought a Leitz Ortholux from 1941. We will use it at home just for fun, and some educational for our daughters. We have already tested with some "specimens" and the next step is of course to get a Mikas so we can also take some pictures. Since I have a M10, this will fit nicely together with the Ortholux.

The microscope itself has been used at the university in Bonn (according to the seller and the inscriptions), it came with four lenses, three "normal" microscope lenses (10x, 25x and 40x) and one 40mm Milar that caught my attention a bit. It also came with the original (and very beautiful!) light transformer which we will keep for historic reasons (I'm already planning on doing a small upgrade with some power LEDs instead).

Before buying it, I did quite a lot of research online and of course found the excellent Ortholux home page (http://www.leitz-ortholux.de/index.php) by Wolfgang Lehmann. It describes the Ortholux system very well and has been a good resource for me before buying. What did caught my interest was this text from the Ortholux II brochure (http://www.leitz-ortholux.de/pdf/73_ortholuxII.pdf)

On page 15 it describes something called Mikro-Systemkamera:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This rises some interesting questions:

*Was this the "replacement" for Mikas that at that time was no longer produced?

*What year was the last year Mikas was produced?

*Was this the last "M"-compatible microscope mount from Leitz?

*Does anyone know the partnumbers of this?

*Does anyone posses this or at least have some photos of the setup?

If anyone is interested, I can post some pictures of my Ortholux :)

Br

Joakim

• Like 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb mmx_2:

Hi!

* Does anyone know the partnumbers of this?

from top to bottom, as a quotation from the brochure:

# 543195  'Anschlußstutzen für' LEICA-M   /   connecting piece for LEICA-M           ( 543195  Is really a valuable part. (;-) )

# 543193  'Kameraobjektiv' 0.32x     /    camera lense 0.32x 

# 543192  'Verschlußteil mit Meßstutzen'   /   central shutter with measuring connection part

# 543194  'Klemmhülse'    /   clamping tube

•     # 543216 'Kameraaufsatz POLAROID CB100   /  camera attachment POLAROID CB100   (on the right)

Thorsten

Edited by Dao De Leitz
  • Like 1

I worked with a 1950’s Ortholux  for 38 years.  If you are looking for more documentation try http://www.science-info.net/docs/leitz/

Most microscope camera adaptors will work on a leitz microscope and there is are c-mount adaptors. The older Leitz branded varieties used damped couplings and leaf shutters to minimize shutter shock or decoupled adaptors for the  aristophot. Electronic shutters are perfect for a camera hard coupled to the microscope like the current Leica c mount microscope cameras.

Cheers Pierre

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pierovitch said:

I worked with a 1950’s Ortholux  for 38 years.  If you are looking for more documentation try http://www.science-info.net/docs/leitz/

Most microscope camera adaptors will work on a leitz microscope and there is are c-mount adaptors. The older Leitz branded varieties used damped couplings and leaf shutters to minimize shutter shock or decoupled adaptors for the  aristophot. Electronic shutters are perfect for a camera hard coupled to the microscope like the current Leica c mount microscope cameras.

Cheers Pierre

Thanks Pierre!! Really useful information there!! I think I'm starting to understand the development timeline now. Yes, I agree any camera with electronic shutter will of course be perfect for the task.

For lenses, would you say it's worthwhile trying to get the PLAN-lenses to upgrade the scope? Our scope has lenses and ocular dating from 1940s. They are totally fine and in good condition, but it's always interesting to get some hints.

I'm really impressived by the Ortholux microscope, it's incredible well built and designed! Really an engineering masterpiece!

Mi contribución: (Polaroid)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi!

I bought some "photo adapters" for my Ortholux the other day (a big box of parts). Most of it I have been able to identify (5x MIkas, 1xKavar etc) but these adapters I cannot identify, can someone help me?

I first thought these two where the same parts that @Dao Da Leitz showedin the overview, but they don't match exactly. The bayonett i M at least.

The last adapter is just a photo tube I guessed, and it fits together with the part with the clamp, but the thread is somewhat strange.

Edited by mmx_2

• 1 month later...
Am 17.10.2019 um 13:41 schrieb mmx_2:

... *  Does anyone posses this or at least have some photos of the setup?

Joakim

Tilt-/Shift-Bellows-M with E. Leitz Elmarit 1:2,8 / 90mm (on Flickr / Original)

# 543195  'Anschlußstutzen für' LEICA-M   /   connecting piece for LEICA-M

# 543193  'Kameraobjektiv' 0.32x     /    camera lense 0.32x 

# 543192  'Verschlußteil mit Meßstutzen'   /   central shutter with measuring connection part

# 543194  'Klemmhülse'    /   clamping tube

• Like 1

For illustration again separately and with varying view:

Tilt-/Shift-Bellows-M with E. Leitz Elmarit 1:2,8 / 90mm (on Flickr / Original)

Thorsten

• Like 1

Quote and corresponding crop:

• Like 1

Thank you! Beautiful setup and photos!!

It is quite interesting the Leitz choosed to go back to the central shutter idea, like it was in the original MIFILCA and later MIKAS. I have the KAVAR but this does not have a CS-shutter but instead works with the principle of vibration damping. The whole mount is on rubber and there is only a simple lever to remove the viewing prism.

Your pictures matches the catalogue perfectly also.

I do however still wonder what these two parts are, the right one very much like 543195, but it only has bayonett on one side, the other side is just like the one to the left:

Could it be for some kind of medical instrument or do you have any other ideas??

BR Joakim