Fuji's X-Pro3

WvE

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Direct size comparison between M10 and X-Pro 3:

https://camerasize.com/compare/#702,836

• Leica M10 is 1% (1.5 mm) narrower and 3% (2.8 mm) shorter than FujiFilm X-Pro3.
  • Leica M10 is 16% (7.6 mm) thinner than FujiFilm X-Pro3.
  • Leica M10 [660 g] weights 33% (163 grams)  more than FujiFilm X-Pro3 [497 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

• Leica M10 dimensions: 139x80x38.5 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)
    FujiFilm X-Pro3 dimensions: 140.5x82.8x46.1 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)

I like the new X-Pro 3, but personally I'd be more interested in one of the GFX - R series, maybe the second or third generation when Fuji will sort out all or at least most of the first gen's issues. 

1 hour ago, Simone_DF said:

Leica M10 dimensions: 139x80x38.5 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)

I've always thought of the M10's protruding lens mount as a bit of a "cheat" because the slimmer body comes at the expense of longer lenses.

Edited by evikne
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, petermullett said:

Friends, we have to get over the "adoration" we have for the Leica, ...

Why?  

And while we're at it, who's "we"?  You are free to do as you wish but please don't presume to tell me what I have to do or include me under "we". 🙂

As far as I'm concerned all cameras and lenses are simply tools that perform a function.  Leica M cameras and lenses perform certain functions exceptionally well and I prefer to use them for those functions.  I also use other cameras where they offer different functionality as suits the circumstance or situation.

Pete.

• Like 4

On 10/16/2019 at 6:41 AM, indergaard said:

You think the M11 should be bigger, thicker, boxier, have a lot more plasticky buttons, a worse viewfinder, a gimmicky film simulation (JPEG setting) screen, and have a crop sensor? Ok...

I purchased the X-Pro1 at launch day. I did the same with the X-Pro2. And I've owned them side-by-side with the M9, MMv1, M240, M10 and M10-P, and, uh, there is no comparison. Especially when you slap a good lens on any of the M bodies. You can't get away from Fuji's sterile and digital look (by comparison).

For the X-Pro3 to be remotely interesting it would need to be smaller and more streamlined than the M10. It is not. The Fuji is significantly larger and boxier, and has a smaller sensor, and a comparable battery.

None of these Fuji's has ever been or will ever be a direct competitor to a true rangefinder camera anyway, so a direct comparison will always be flawed.

I have to agree with indergaard, even though I do not own or shoot with an X-Pro 2.  I do own and use a Fuji X100F which has shown me all I need to see regarding the Fuji digital cameras.

I got the X100F because I needed a backup to my M-P 240 but did not have the extra cash to acquire an M, CL or Q at the time.  The X100F is a nice camera, but menu navigation is needlessly complicated and frustrating when compared to my M-P 240. 

In the middle of shooting, I have had the X100F change from 24mp RAW files to 14mp JPEG files.  I have no idea why, other than I must have inadvertently touched a button or control when switching between landscape and portrait orientation.  This is as annoying as hell.  I have also found that if I don't use the X100F 2-3 times per week, I forget how to navigate its complex menu system and have to stop, get out the manual, look up the menu option I am in search of and then I'm able to access it.  That tells me that the X100F has a needlessly complicated menu system. 

I have never had this navigation problem with the M-P 240, which tells me that its menu system is simplified, direct and actually usable while shooting (what a concept!!). 

I will keep the X100F and try to get the hang of its byzantine menu, but it will be gathering dust before much longer.   I finally scraped together the price of admission for Q2 ownership and my minty new Q2 will arrive in about 3 weeks.  😎

Edited by Herr Barnack

I think some posters are totally missing the point about why many people buy  a leica m camera.

I wanted a well made camera with a clear optical viewfinder,i wanted to focus with a rangefinder.

I wished to have an uncluttered viewfinder with minimal information

I required proper aperture click stops on my lenses and a straightforward menu.

I wanted a beautiful camera that could produce excellent results.

Would someone on here make a list of all the cameras that meet the criteria laid out above so i can look at the other cameras that provide my requirements so i can consider them for future purchases.

On 10/16/2019 at 3:53 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

To a business, a competitor is someone whose products a customer might buy instead of yours. 

This is the exact reason I held off on a huge investment into Leica glass and a new M camera.  I have pre-ordered the X-Pro3.  So I did see it as competition.  Have I abandoned Leica forever,  no way just I see a better option than Leica at the moment for my situation.

Regards 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 minutes ago, steve 1959 said:

I think some posters are totally missing the point about why many people buy  a leica m camera.

I wanted a well made camera with a clear optical viewfinder,i wanted to focus with a rangefinder.

I wished to have an uncluttered viewfinder with minimal information

I required proper aperture click stops on my lenses and a straightforward menu.

I wanted a beautiful camera that could produce excellent results.

Would someone on here make a list of all the cameras that meet the criteria laid out above so i can look at the other cameras that provide my requirements so i can consider them for future purchases.

What you seem to be missing is that some M users are more interested in M lenses than in rangefinders.  

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, lct said:

What you seem to be missing is that some M users are more interested in M lenses than in rangefinders.  

Sorry i thought the thread was about a fuji camera.

Do leica lenses work well on the fuji?

22 minutes ago, steve 1959 said:

Sorry i thought the thread was about a fuji camera.

Do leica lenses work well on the fuji?

Indeed this thread is about a Fuji camera that some people would like to use with their M lenses. I have no experience with it but i liked much the Fuji X-E2 which works well with 50mm to 135mm M lenses. Less so with M wides though, reason why i prefer the digital CL now. Not a rangefinder either BTW ;).

4 minutes ago, lct said:

Indeed this thread is about a Fuji camera that some people would like to use with their M lenses. I have no experience with it but i liked much the Fuji X-E2 which works well with 50mm to 135mm M lenses. Less so with M wides though, reason why i prefer the digital CL now. Not a rangefinder either BTW ;).

Thanks i didnt know that.

I know when i look at fuji  and mess about with the menu and controls cameras they remind me of all the other digital cameras in that i just dont want to go out and take photos with them.

Ps i arrived at digital in 2014 with an olympus camera which had nice lenses but i never liked using it.

Im happy now like i was with my film camera now i have a leica m digital camera.

3 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

I have to agree with indergaard, even though I do not own or shoot with an X-Pro 2.

🤔 In another thread you wrote

A while back, I got the X-Pro 2 as a backup to my M kit.  It has worked out quite well in that capacity, and as a lightweight alternative to my M-P 240.

Did you replace the X-Pro 2 for the X100F?

55 minutes ago, steve 1959 said:

I know when i look at fuji  and mess about with the menu and controls cameras they remind me of all the other digital cameras in that i just dont want to go out and take photos with them.

You don't have to mess in the menus, especially with a Fuji X-Pro2/3. All the shutter speed and aperture are available just as on your Leica M as is the ISO as on the M10.

I got an X-Pro 2 when my M9 went in for its sensor change and did not want to go many months without a digital camera. It was just as easy to use as my M9 and all my M mount and LTM lenses.

Unless I need some really specific setting for a shoot, I never use the menus.... same as on the M9, the only reason I ever go in a menu is to change the lens setting or wipe the card.

I don't understand all the animosity here, it seems there is a bit of superiority complex on the loose. The X-Pro is a very capable camera, it's enjoyable to use and I can easily understand why many people are more than happy with it. IMO the images are not as good as the M9 , but that is probably because I like the CCD over CMOS.

edit: the last paragraph was not specifically meant as a response to Steve! 🙂

Edited by ianman
  • Like 5

not interested in the X-Pro3. It is not a real rangefinder, just pretended to be. I used to go to Fuji and Leica showrooms many times in the past year, trying the X-pro2 and M10. The fuji is good to have an AF but I was expecting the MF on the OVF to be the same as a traditional Leica M. 

It is not.

5 hours ago, lct said:

I agree,  I care about portability and ease of use and image quality.

I could care less about rangefinders.  I would totally happy using M lenses!!

Edited by spersky

6 hours ago, spersky said:

I agree,  I care about portability and ease of use and image quality.

I could care less about rangefinders.  I would totally happy using M lenses!!

I have both Leica and Fuji kits, including the adapter for M lenses on the Fuji.  I like both for different reasons and uses.  

Long M lenses perform OK on Fuji but wides generally suffer away from the center because of the thick filter stack on the Fuji.  So, if you are looking for a camera for M lenses (broadly) Fuji is not really it.

I have a Kolari thin-filter mod Sony, which works much better than the Fuji with M lenses, but I much prefer the Rangefinder experience for manual focus.

Of course, your priorities and milage May vary...

I have had an x-pro1 and enjoyed using it. The x-pro3 looks interesting. And I am sure it will be a better camera. I agree with many points in favor of the x-pro3 in this thread. What I fail to understand is why it has to be in the m10 section of this forum? There is also a thread in the general section Barnack’s bar about the x-pro3. Maybe move the discussion  there? 

• Thanks 1

I shot Fuji X for over 4 years before getting my first Leica, the M10 in November 2017. I have since sold off my entire Fuji kit and have gone all Leica, all the time.

That said, I did own the Fuji XPro2 along side the XT2. I shot this pair of excellent cameras with Fuji primes as my travel photography kit for a few years. The image quality was identical from each as they used the same sensor and image processor. The XPro2 is a unique camera with its hybrid viewfinder, however, I could never master zone focusing on this camera like I can on my M10. Fuji lenses are great, but the Leica primes are in a class by theirselves.

I attended the PhotoPlus Expo in NYC yesterday. The XPro3 was on display at the Fuji booth. They had several of them and I got a chance to handle it for a few minutes. The "hidden" LCD and the odd small LCD on the camera back that stimulates the old analogue film camera feature of inserting the film box end into a holder to tell which film is loaded in the camera is a bold step. Although I'm sure that the image quality is consistent with my old Fuji XT3 and other Fujis I have owned, the camera felt cheap after shooting the M10 for almost 2 years. The XP3 is about the same size as the M10, but much lighter. The "Fujicron" XF 23, 35 and 50 f2 primes are excellent, fast focusing, compact and light. These tenses are much lighter than the Leica equivalent which makes the weight difference between the XP3 and M10 significant.

Fuji makes excellent gear, but my GAS has been cured with the acquisition of my M10 and Leica prime lenses. Fuji is still the camera brand that I recommend to friends who are looking to upgrade their equipment. Great choices abound with the Fuji system.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Like 7