Fuji's X-Pro3

WvE

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 17.10.2019 um 02:04 schrieb Ko.Fe.:

Every time I hold their  X series "RF" cameras in hands it feels so flimsy and overloaded with something which big boys still playing flight simulators are finding as useful.

Also, IMO, X Pro in particular is so unattractive...

I'd rather get their 50R, than any X.

Maybe they look flimsy. But my reality looks different. A few months back I had an accident in Kazakhstan - fell of a pick-up onto concrete (with backpack on), my X-T1 hang over my chest and rammed into my rips. Result: collapsed lung. The X-T1 continued to work without any issues (so does my lung now). I am sure any M would have taken a beating.
The only M I have is the Monochrom, because, well, it is a Monochrom. I treat it with care. When it gets tough - I work as ski guide and avalanche technician - I take the X-T1.

Edited by Peter_S
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Peter_S said:

Maybe they look flimsy. But my reality looks different. A few months back I had an accident in Kazakhstan - fell of a pick-up onto concrete (with backpack on), my X-T1 hang over my chest and rammed into my rips. Result: collapsed lung. The X-T1 continued to work without any issues (so does my lung now). I am sure any M would have taken a beating.
The only M I have is the Monochrom, because, well, it is a Monochrom. I treat it with care. When it gets tough - I work as ski guide and avalanche technician - I take the X-T1.

Excuse me, I'm not talking about life of extreme. Was your other camera dropped and lost on helicopter boarding?

My comment was for how Fuji X cameras I hold in my hands feels, not in my ribs. 

My M4-2 landed on the concrete. Bulge on the top plate and damaged RF. But it is still solid camera in feel. So is M-E which almost dropped on the concrete due to dirt cheap Leica kit neck strap. 

I’ll never understand arguments about cameras.  They’re just tools you use to take pictures.  So what if someone likes a Fuji or whatever camera next to a Leica camera.  We’ve all seen and taken great photos from all sorts of cameras at all cost levels.  

Nothing to see in this thread, though.  

• Like 6

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Ko.Fe.:

Excuse me, I'm not talking about life of extreme. Was your other camera dropped and lost on helicopter boarding?

My comment was for how Fuji X cameras I hold in my hands feels, not in my ribs. 

My M4-2 landed on the concrete. Bulge on the top plate and damaged RF. But it is still solid camera in feel. So is M-E which almost dropped on the concrete due to dirt cheap Leica kit neck strap. 

Hi,
I did in no way mean to discredit your point of view (thus the "my reality") -  I wanted to simple make a point that these Fujis are pretty tough and capable work tools (and for most parts can be operated with gloves on). I do agree on the feeling in the hands and all. I like the M Monochrom as a tool, and same was with the M6, M7, etc. They just gave me too many problems to use them in the environments I like to use my cameras in. That`s all. No offense meant.

And yes, I did drop a Leica X1 when boarding a helicopter. That is another story, though.

Edited by Peter_S
  • Like 1

The X-Pro 3 looks really interesting. They seem to be moving the design away from complexity. It's quite a handsome camera too, very Leica-like.

I've just never quite understood why the X-Pro series body needs to be as large as it is when it's got a cropped sensor. It's a similar size to a Leica M, but Leica managed to fit a full-frame sensor into that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2019 at 11:54 AM, WvE said:

Leica M's "competitor" is about to launch its new X-Pro 3. Looks like it has some interesting features which Leica better take a close look at before it releases the M11... 

With a flip screen we could have both an M and an M-D in one camera. 😉

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, colint544 said:

The X-Pro 3 looks really interesting. They seem to be moving the design away from complexity. It's quite a handsome camera too, very Leica-like.

I've just never quite understood why the X-Pro series body needs to be as large as it is when it's got a cropped sensor. It's a similar size to a Leica M, but Leica managed to fit a full-frame sensor into that.

Leica M, common, where on M you have seen some crooked lines on the body or double screens? :)

As for complexity, I understand why here is ISO dial on film cameras, but on digital it is gimmicks, IMO. With my cheap Canon Rebel I could set everything including ISO without taking my eye from viewfinder. This is professional :) .

As for the size, it has to be this large, otherwise how it could be the Pro?

Have you seen Panasonic fake SLRs with sensors called as micro 4/3? Enormously huge and heavy for this minuscule sensor, but hey, it looks "professional".   :) 

2 hours ago, colint544 said:

I would think that it's a mix of balance, grip and aesthetic design. Some the the X lenses are quite large and would, I imagine, feel very unbalanced on a smaller body.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

As for complexity, I understand why here is ISO dial on film cameras, but on digital it is gimmicks, IMO. With my cheap Canon Rebel I could set everything including ISO without taking my eye from viewfinder.

I don't find it to be a gimmick at all. Although I still like the way to change ISO on the M9 (it's probably faster than on the M10), I really do like the dial on the X-Pro2, it's just like my FM2 🙂  There is no need to take your eye away from the viewfinder either as the selected ISO is displayed there in both EVF and OVF mode.

i really like Fujifilm, i shoot a GFX besides my m10. While the GFX is my tool for serious work i use the M10 for personal projects and for travel. Not a fan of the new Xpro3 screen design but other than that i like it. would not mind getting one. and their Xmount glas is very nice too, i like the 16 1.4 , 35 1.4 , and 56 1.2

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Kilmister said:

I fail to understand the reason for allowing an assessment of a Fuji camera to take space in this forum dedicated to the M10. Maybe I am thick?

It's an alternative to an M10 and you can also use M-lenses on it, so why not here?

-Thomas

• Like 2

The topic is M10. The Fuji is not a rangefinder so it fails the first test. M is a German abbreviation for their rather long word for Rangefinder. 10 included variants of the M10.

I fail to understand why another company should get airspace in this section just because it can use M lens. Is this SPAM?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The topic is X-Pro3 which is an APS-C camera with no rangefinder but an hybrid viewfinder. It can use M lenses with an adapter but if its sensor stack is as thick as that of its predecessors it will take soft pictures with M wides the same way as my Fuji X-E2 at edges and corners. Hard to imagine how it could compete with the M10 then. With the digital CL perhaps but the latter does better with M wides if the Fuji has a thick sensor stack as expected.

I walked into my local jessop store in bristol and all the plastic flippy screen multi menu panasonic,fuji,olympus and sony cameras were all lined up together with their laggy EVF and super duper video features.

Good god a leica m rangefinder camera is so beautiful and functional compared to all this junk.

is 

vor 4 Stunden schrieb steve 1959:

I walked into my local jessop store in bristol and all the plastic flippy screen multi menu panasonic,fuji,olympus and sony cameras were all lined up together with their laggy EVF and super duper video features.

Good god a leica m rangefinder camera is so beautiful and functional compared to all this junk.

if one evf is laggy it is the crappy visoflex of the m10 :)

• Haha 5

I have no experience of the X-Pro 3, but have used both the X-Pro 1 and the XT-1.

Both of those cameras produced good-quality images in my hands.

While they are not directly comparable with the Leica M10, they nevertheless compete with it in the non-DSLR camera market. Hard though it may be for some here to believe, many photographers like autofocus and may therefore choose a cheaper Fuji X-camera over the manual-focus Leica M10.

• Like 5

Friends, we have to get over the "adoration" we have for the Leica, in this forum's case the Leica M. It's a great camera, there's no question about that and the rangefinder system as it now is in the M10 is the perhaps the best they have produced, but is it really the best camera out there as many of you would have everyone believe? I'm as guilty as any Leica M aficionado, if I had the means I would have a cupboard full of M's that would be dusted more often than they would be used, even at four M's now I probably have too many certainly so in terms of money spent that's for certain......But again is the Leica M really so much better than other camera marques out there? Frankly I think not. It's beautifully designed camera, more "hand built" than perhaps any other for sure but despite the quality of design and materials used in it's construction in my experience it is quite fallible as compared to others. For instance I've two Nikon Ftn's that were my main working cameras way back in the late 1960's, they've had many hundreds of rolls of film pass through them in working conditions all over the world, they are on the shelf now but they worked for at least two decades without a single need for service or breakdown and they still work fine today. The same goes for other cameras I've used on the personal and pro' basis over the decades to current times both film and digital, Pentax, Nikons, Panasonics....No camera that I have owned and used other than Leica has needed as much or any mechanical service other than perhaps a professional cleaning after exposure to adverse conditions, and that tells me something.

Leica's are not made "better" than a lot of pro' / semi pro' other camera systems, and we are kidding ourselves by thinking that, in fact in my experience they are more prone to failure or suffering from a slip or two in quality control in their manufacturing process than others but mostly we put up with that don't we? Why? Well because of the M system itself and the lenses that come with it. It is a joy to use if you are wedded to the rangefinder rather than other VF system choices and we suffer and forgive the blips and trips to Leica service for the inevitable adjustments and repairs, ( only my M7 of all my other M's through the years has not had to be returned to "mother" for attention, all the other M's have had to make the trip at least once ). And whilst I am on the subject, lenses......Leica lenses are really really good, probably through 90% of their range, but are they really so much better than others? Again in my experience I think not. Amongst others I have Nikon lenses that I will never let go of, mainly older Ai's, 6/7 Pentax glass is simply wonderful, the new Panasonic glass is extremely good, as is the new Fuji that I use for cinematography as well as stills so whilst yes in general Leica lenses are good, there's others out there that are on par in my opinion. The one thing that Leica does well in regards the M glass is make really good small sized lenses for the system, ( but so does Voigtlander too for the M mount ), those I love.....the bigger M lenses, the wide apertures lenses, for me not so much as I find they make the M rig too cumbersome.

It's all personal choice of course, but these days with what is being manufactured out there I think it is wrong to believe that Leica's M camera is over and above others in terms of design, construction and reliability, it just isn't. We, I, use the M's because I am comfortable with them as a tool and will continue to regard them as my premier choice for most imaging these days, but like me too I guess, they are certainly not without their foibles.....

15 minutes ago, petermullett said:

Friends, we have to get over the "adoration" we have for the Leica, in this forum's case the Leica M. It's a great camera, there's no question about that and the rangefinder system as it now is in the M10 is the perhaps the best they have produced, but is it really the best camera out there as many of you would have everyone believe?

No doubt it is with M lenses IMHO. I prefer my Sony A7s mod in many ways but it cannot recognize 6-bit coding and cannot do auto focus magnification, so yes M cameras are the best cameras for M lenses so far.