Homemade method of simulating FILM with Leica M9 - Testers & feedback welcome!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, fanaticalien said:

Hello, Tomás! I want to say a big thanks to you! I just love the colors and the bw tonality from my M9 with your m9tofilm program, such a miracle! Soon I will post some  samples and will provide detailed feedback.

Gherman

Thanks Gherman!! Even if I don't post here from time to time I do some developments... although what I really'd like is to get a Leica M10-D and make the whole calibration process.

BTW: I've done some tests with Leica M10R DNGs (obtained from DpReview), with Leica M9 calibration, using Superia 200 calibration process, and the results were not that bad 😅

For example:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

↑↑↑ Processed DNG ↑↑↑

VS

↓↓↓ Leica output JPG ↓↓↓

Original dpreview Gallery:

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/1022560946/leica-m10-r-sample-gallery/3509511267

And some processed DNGs examples album:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G7Fb985RkhBPqxB59

I wrote Leica to see if I could borrow a Leica M10 for doing the calibration process, but never got a response 😞

In the following months I have lots of holidays, so the plan is to port the program to OSX and to get an M10 somehow to do the calibration 🙂

Don't hesitate to share your feedback! Seriously, waiting for it !! 🙂

And thanks for writing!! 

Tomás

Edited by camalogica

Another example:

↑↑↑ Processed DNG ↑↑↑

VS

↓↓↓ Leica output JPG ↓↓↓

Kind regards!

Tomás

Edited by camalogica

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2020 at 3:04 PM, camalogica said:

Another example:

↑↑↑ Processed DNG ↑↑↑

VS

↓↓↓ Leica output JPG ↓↓↓

Kind regards!

Tomás

Tomas, Your software output looks incredible. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get it to run on Wine. Are you considering creating a version for MAC? Thanks in advance. David.  

Edited by lydkraft
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lydkraft said:

Tomas, Your software output looks incredible. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get it to run on Wine. Are you considering creating a version for MAC? Thanks in advance. David.  

Hi David,

I've managed to get a mac from my brother, in the following days I'll try to compile the program with gcc to port it to OS X 🙂

Cheers!

Tomás

Hi David,

Here is the link where you can download the OSX version (and windows also). It's the version 1.05

https://mega.nz/file/gMNzhYKJ#OiC1ZWn8jyjxnTu-66w0LlBd07RL-F-BILGB4YuDqUw

The usage is exactly the same as the windows version. Just place yourself in the same folder and use it something like:

./m9tofilm -i /Users/user/dev/camalogica/dng -o ../../output -f superia200

BTW: I've removed the control to check that it has to be used with LeicaM9/M8.2, so now it can be used with all DNG it doesn't matter which camera brand it is.
But it will always use M9's calibration, so output can be weird (color casts, unwanted effects and so on...)

For OSX I've compiled it using static libraries, but if any problem is found whenever executing it just let me know!

Cheers and happy new year!

Tomás

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Tomás - thanks for this excellent project! I've also been struggling for the last few years to match my preference for film images to my ocassional (reluctant) digital use.

One problem: the script fails on OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitan) because of some missing dependency:

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: ____chkstk_darwin

I have this old system on one of my laptops because of some compatibility problems with certain legacy image programs. But it worked fine on Catalina. I can't say how far back your application should work, but for compatibility with older OSes maybe certain dependencies can be bundled?

When I got it working, I tried some Leica T DNGs and the conversions went fine, but the resulting TIFFs converted with ColorPerfect did seem to have a hint of a dull yellow color-cast - much as you warned (as the calibration is based on the M9 color profiles).

What a great idea though! If the color conversion can be tweaked on the basis of an input profile (so the user can choose their own camera, and possibly get a result that's closer to the ideal for them) then this will be a really perfect tool to get more consistent results across mixed film and digital shoots. Thanks again!

• Like 1

here's one from the m240 that I just quickly made. I didn't use autodevelop

Thanks very much Tomás

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam Bonn said:

here's one from the m240 that I just quickly made. I didn't use autodevelop

Thanks very much Tomás

Adam, Are you using a mac? Could you show me the command you are using? Do you just put it straight into the "terminal? Thanks David. 

19 hours ago, plasticman said:

Tomás - thanks for this excellent project! I've also been struggling for the last few years to match my preference for film images to my ocassional (reluctant) digital use.

One problem: the script fails on OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitan) because of some missing dependency:

I have this old system on one of my laptops because of some compatibility problems with certain legacy image programs. But it worked fine on Catalina. I can't say how far back your application should work, but for compatibility with older OSes maybe certain dependencies can be bundled?

When I got it working, I tried some Leica T DNGs and the conversions went fine, but the resulting TIFFs converted with ColorPerfect did seem to have a hint of a dull yellow color-cast - much as you warned (as the calibration is based on the M9 color profiles).

What a great idea though! If the color conversion can be tweaked on the basis of an input profile (so the user can choose their own camera, and possibly get a result that's closer to the ideal for them) then this will be a really perfect tool to get more consistent results across mixed film and digital shoots. Thanks again!

Could you explain how you're running the process on mac? Are you just putting the command into "terminal"? I cannot get this to work for some reason. Thanks in advance, David. 

On 1/1/2021 at 4:57 AM, camalogica said:

Hi David,

Here is the link where you can download the OSX version (and windows also). It's the version 1.05

https://mega.nz/file/gMNzhYKJ#OiC1ZWn8jyjxnTu-66w0LlBd07RL-F-BILGB4YuDqUw

The usage is exactly the same as the windows version. Just place yourself in the same folder and use it something like:

./m9tofilm -i /Users/user/dev/camalogica/dng -o ../../output -f superia200

BTW: I've removed the control to check that it has to be used with LeicaM9/M8.2, so now it can be used with all DNG it doesn't matter which camera brand it is.
But it will always use M9's calibration, so output can be weird (color casts, unwanted effects and so on...)

For OSX I've compiled it using static libraries, but if any problem is found whenever executing it just let me know!

Cheers and happy new year!

Tomás

Tomás, Thanks so much for this. Still having some issues but will keep messing with it. Thanks again.David. 

25 minutes ago, lydkraft said:

Adam, Are you using a mac? Could you show me the command you are using? Do you just put it straight into the "terminal? Thanks David. 

Hi David,

I use windows 

I just opened a cmd session and ran a command (that I’ll need to open my laptop for, as i’m on my ipad atm - give me a while)

From my brief play with it, I prefer not using the auto develop feature

in LR I invert the tone curve (drag shadows up and highlights down so that the linear curve runs top left to bottom right)

after that I edited as normal (note shadows/highlight sliders work inversely to a regular raw)

give me some minutes and I’ll dig the command i used out!

edit

C:\Users\adam_\Desktop\m9tofilm2_1.05\m9tofilm\m9tofilm.exe -i "C:\Users\adam_\Desktop\m240 film app" -o "C:\Users\adam_\Desktop\output2" -f superia200 -frame false -gamma 2.2 

So, the command works: go to folder (in my case 'm9tofilm' on my desktop) and run m9tofilm.exe -i, then look in folder (in my case 'm240 film app' on my desktop)  convert the DNG files found there and output the converted files to this folder (in my case 'output2' on my desktop)

Hopefully that makes sense on a MAC?

Edited by Adam Bonn

14 minutes ago, Adam Bonn said:

Hi David,

I use windows 

I just opened a cmd session and ran a command (that I’ll need to open my laptop for, as i’m on my ipad atm - give me a while)

From my brief play with it, I prefer not using the auto develop feature

in LR I invert the tone curve (drag shadows up and highlights down so that the linear curve runs top left to bottom right)

after that I edited as normal (note shadows/highlight sliders work inversely to a regular raw)

give me some minutes and I’ll dig the command i used out!

Thanks so much. I think I need to play with this a bit more. Cheers. 

4 minutes ago, lydkraft said:

Thanks so much. I think I need to play with this a bit more. Cheers. 

I edited my post, but thinking about it, that was a little dumb on my part as you might not notice!

C:\Users\adam_\Desktop\m9tofilm2_1.05\m9tofilm\m9tofilm.exe -i "C:\Users\adam_\Desktop\m240 film app" -o "C:\Users\adam_\Desktop\output2" -f superia200 -frame false -gamma 2.2 

So, the command works: go to folder (in my case 'm9tofilm' on my desktop) and run m9tofilm.exe -i, then look in folder (in my case 'm240 film app' on my desktop)  convert the DNG files found there and output the converted files to this folder (in my case 'output2' on my desktop)

Hopefully that makes sense on a MAC?

In LR

it'll look like a negative until you invert the tone curve

Guest Nowhereman

Tomás - Great effort on your part! I have an M10 but tried running your program for some old M9 files: on my Mac under Mac OS X 14.6 (Mojave) and got the following errors, which complain about a missing dependency and that the program was built for Mac OS X 15 (Catalina):

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: __ZNSt3__14__fs10filesystem18directory_iteratorC1ERKNS1_4pathEPNS_10error_codeENS1_17directory_optionsE

Referenced from: /Users/Inga/Downloads/m9tofilm/./m9tofilm (which was built for Mac OS X 10.15)

Expected in: /usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: __ZNSt3__14__fs10filesystem18directory_iteratorC1ERKNS1_4pathEPNS_10error_codeENS1_17directory_optionsE

Referenced from: /Users/Inga/Downloads/m9tofilm/./m9tofilm (which was built for Mac OS X 10.15)

Expected in: /usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib

Abort trap: 6

Edited by Nowhereman

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

Tomás - Great effort on your part! I have an M10 but tried running your program for some old M9 files: on my Mac under Mac OS X 14.6 (Mojave) and got the following errors, which complain about a missing dependency and that the program was built for Mac OS X 15 (Catalina):

22 hours ago, plasticman said:

Hi both of you,

I've been looking and it seems that OSX is kind of tricky for compilations between versions.
I've found already a solution to make it backwards compatible for 10.1*, but I have to change the sources a little bit because there are a couple of things that were not supported in OSX 10.1* like directory access (which is used to list the DNGs in the input folder).

Will keep you updated!

Cheers!

Tomás

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

22 hours ago, plasticman said:

Hi again,

I've just build it in OSX with backward support till 10.11, could you please test if it works whenever you can?

I attach it here as a zip (just the OSX executable). Just decompress it and replace the old one

m9tofilm_1.05.1_OSX_executable.zip

Thanks for your help!!

Tomás

Edited by camalogica
  • Like 1

Guest Nowhereman

^ Thanks, Tomás. Almost there with v1.05.1 on OS X 14.6. I ran it with the following command:

./m9tofilm -i /Users/Inga/Downloads/m9tofilm/input -o /Users/Inga/Downloads/m9tofilm/ouput -f superia200 -frame false -gamma 2.2 -autodevelop

It works, but gives one error, presumably for the "frame" parameter, because when I set it to "false" it still produces a frame:

TIFFFetchNormalTag: Warning, Incorrect value for "RichTIFFIPTC"; tag ignored.

16 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

^ Thanks, Tomás. Almost there with v1.05.1 on OS X 14.6. I ran it with the following command:

It works, but gives one error, presumably for the "frame" parameter, because when I set it to "false" it still produces a frame:

Thanks, nothing horrible. I know the cause. Will fix it tomorrow!

Thank you very much for testing and I'd be really happy to know your thoughts about the results!

Tomás

Guest Nowhereman

^ One more thing, while I used an M9 DNG, which was underexposed by 1½ stops, the output (without auto development) was very pale (after inversion); not at all dark as in the Lightroom view before any processing adjustments.