Homemade method of simulating FILM with Leica M9 - Testers & feedback welcome!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interesting topic indeed.

I am not used to Windows but I have a copy of Windows 10 running in Parallels Desktop.

In the prompt I wrote

C:\Users\admin\Desktop\m9tofilm\m9tofilm.exe -i "C:\Users\admin\Desktop\input" -o "C:\Users\admin\Desktop\output" -f trix400 -gamma 2.2

but nothing happens. 

I don't know what I am doing wrong.

1 hour ago, alex7075 said:

Interesting topic indeed.

I am not used to Windows but I have a copy of Windows 10 running in Parallels Desktop.

In the prompt I wrote

C:\Users\admin\Desktop\m9tofilm\m9tofilm.exe -i "C:\Users\admin\Desktop\input" -o "C:\Users\admin\Desktop\output" -f trix400 -gamma 2.2

but nothing happens. 

I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Hi, Thanks for testing 🙂

Actually the command is perfect, I cannot see any error.

Do you have Leica M9 DNGs inside the Desktop\input folder?

Kind regards,

Tomás

Edited by camalogica

2 minutes ago, alex7075 said:

Yes, I have a DNG shot on a Leica M9 Monochrom at 400 ISO.

Try to go to the directory of the m9tofilm.exe and execute the command.

> cd C:\Users\admin\Desktop\m9tofilm
> m9tofilm.exe -i "C:\Users\admin\Desktop\input" -o "C:\Users\admin\Desktop\output" -f trix400 -gamma 2.2

If I remember correctly it loads the data as relative path to the execution folder.

Hope it helps!

Tomás

9 minutes ago, camalogica said:

Try to go to the directory of the m9tofilm.exe and execute the command.

> cd C:\Users\admin\Desktop\m9tofilm
> m9tofilm.exe -i "C:\Users\admin\Desktop\input" -o "C:\Users\admin\Desktop\output" -f trix400 -gamma 2.2

If I remember correctly it loads the data as relative path to the execution folder.

Hope it helps!

Tomás

Yes it works!

Thank you Tomás, I'll experiment a little and report soon.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, this is the best method to match analog images I have ever seen. I am really impressed. Particularly, you get the typical film rendering of zones 6 to 9 (in Adam's zone system's terms), so hard to obtain with usual software.

The grain option is also better than any other method I tried. 

I am still testing it on different light conditions, but as far as I can see, sunlight, open shadow and against the light images are really good.

One has to move the midpoint of the levels settings, apply some sharpness and of course local dodging and burning.

I'll try to post a couple of examples the next days. 

Congratulations Tomás and thanks for sharing this software.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, alex7075 said:

Well, this is the best method to match analog images I have ever seen. I am really impressed. Particularly, you get the typical film rendering of zones 6 to 9 (in Adam's zone system's terms), so hard to obtain with usual software.

The grain option is also better than any other method I tried. 

I am still testing it on different light conditions, but as far as I can see, sunlight, open shadow and against the light images are really good.

One has to move the midpoint of the levels settings, apply some sharpness and of course local dodging and burning.

I'll try to post a couple of examples the next days. 

Congratulations Tomás and thanks for sharing this software.

Hi, thank you very much for your words :-)

It really encourages me to keep working on this project :-)

I think sharpening is needed because of the debayering algorithm used by LibRaw. I'll add a command line option to choose the debayering algorithm.

Also, I must say, I would like to do this for the Leica M10, but, unlucky, I don't own it and it's kind of hard to rent one here in Spain to do the calibration process. (and, of course, at the price it pays, I'm not willing to buy one at the moment)

What I have notice is that the film has looots more of resistance to burn highlights, meanwhile on digital it gets burn quite fast. Oposite for low lights.

An option I was thinking was to shoot always at -1 stop (or even -2) and then do the push with the software. This would add two stops of extra resistance to highlights and the noise in the low lights should be more or less imperceptible.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here is a graph showing the tests I did about one year ago, film has a little more dynamic range, but it's more tolerant to highlights.

I think with a little bit of work and some resources it's possible to mimic the film simulation with digital cameras. Not doing it so "generic" (I mean, for all cameras, only for specific calibrated ones) and using a more "scientific" method of simulation that just adjusting curves or doing color transformations.

As said at the beginning, in the end, a digital camera and a film camera, they capture the spectrum, so, does it exist a transformation from one to the other assuming the digital has more info than film?

Kind regards and, again, waiting to see your resulting images!!

Tomás

4 minutes ago, camalogica said:

An option I was thinking was to shoot always at -1 stop (or even -2) and then do the push with the software. This would add two stops of extra resistance to highlights and the noise in the low lights should be more or less imperceptible.

Indeed. With the M9 Monochrom I always shoot at -2/3 to avoid highlights burning.

Question: can I use M9TOFILM also on M8 dngs?

9 minutes ago, alex7075 said:

Not with the published version, but shouldn't take me long to add M8 since I already did the calibration. Will publish a new version with M8 support in the following days 🙂

Kind regards,

Tomás

Edited by camalogica
  • Like 2

On 2/25/2020 at 9:56 AM, alex7075 said:

Indeed. With the M9 Monochrom I always shoot at -2/3 to avoid highlights burning.

I've been doing some tests with the LeicaM8.2 and it works perfectly for HP5 ISO400.

When I started doing this I was using HP5 because it was cheaper than TriX 400 😅

Will try to update the app this weekend and upload it to Megaupload. Will let you know.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Full resolution: https://photos.app.goo.gl/FBbzSV11gifZjh9t6

BTW: When I did the calibration with the M8.2 I was using an IR filter, it should work for black and white film, but I remember I had some problems with color film.

Kind regards,

Tomás

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I've added the M8 to the program with the calibration I already did in the past for HP5 film

It's possible to download it at:

https://mega.nz/#!tJsEzSbC!g6NNJur6fZLB-kaR36KTPZEcBlLOk3Kv2TH3bM-kg00

To use M8 DNGs it's mandatory to add the "-m8" option at command line. One example would be:

m9tofilm.exe -m8 -i "E:\DATA\LeicaM8.2\dng\HP5" -o "F:\DEV\output" -f hp5400 -frame

That would transform all DNGs contained in the input folder, to the output folder, for film HP5 and adding frame to them.

Kind regards and I hope you like it 🙂

Tomás

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alex7075 said:

Tomás, 

Can the -m8 option be used with trix400 option or just with the hp5400? As far as I understand, it can be used only with hp5400.

Thanks again for sharing this software.

Only with HP5 400, I never did the calibration for M8 for Trix 400. Sorry!

3 hours ago, convexferret said:

Tomás. What does the calibration require? I have an M10 and would be happy to run some experiments for you if you can give me a spec.

Hi, basically doing a bunch of photos to many calibrated self-made templates I've done under certain conditions. That way I can have the exact light spectrum's response per pixel for the camera.

I would like to calibrate the M10 too, but unluckly i'm not willing to spend 7000€ aprox, and no way that I know to rent one during one weekend.

I think it's kind of hard unless we meet in person :( Southern Spain is where? I'm based in Valencia.

Tomás

5 hours ago, camalogica said:

Only with HP5 400, I never did the calibration for M8 for Trix 400. Sorry!

Thanks, I just saw that in the readme file!

But I get an error: 

ERROR: The file *L1002242.DNG* is not for selected LeicaM8 camera model.

Edited by alex7075

2 hours ago, camalogica said:

Hi, basically doing a bunch of photos to many calibrated self-made templates I've done under certain conditions. That way I can have the exact light spectrum's response per pixel for the camera.

I would like to calibrate the M10 too, but unluckly i'm not willing to spend 7000€ aprox, and no way that I know to rent one during one weekend.

I think it's kind of hard unless we meet in person :( Southern Spain is where? I'm based in Valencia.

Tomás

Near Málaga. Although given the way things are going I won't even be allowed to leave the pueblo by next week :)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, alex7075 said:

Thanks, I just saw that in the readme file!

But I get an error: 

ERROR: The file *L1002242.DNG* is not for selected LeicaM8 camera model.

Ups, my fault I think. I was using raw2dng with M8 made by Arvid (https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/216705-m8raw2dng-tool-to-convert-leica-m8-raw-files-to-dng/) so it's normal it doesn't recognise standard M8 DNGs.

Will fix it in a couple of hours and repost the new corrected version. Sorry for the mistake!

Tomás

Hi again.

I've corrected the bug and uploaded the new version to:

https://mega.nz/#!gRklDZRR!gvfpt3MgT7KCmfhpmY7GPsQ7mUZQky8onOPfuElGFZE

Just remember that, even if it works with M8 + HP5 this was done at the very begining of the developing process, so, I think M9 should be better to test.

BTW: Even if M8 has a little bit more DR, there is almost no difference between M8 and M9 (the eternal discussion). Only that M8 is a little bit more tolerant to highlights (about 1/4 stop).

Kind regards,

Tomás

• Thanks 1