How many have had issues with M7s ?

k0ffe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 hours ago, wattsy said:

Not necessarily. Leica, for many years, have upgraded for free the original mechanical DX system to one that uses optical sensors.

From what I can ascertain, I do not have a problem with the DX or manual reading of the ISO. The correct value shows up when I turn on the M7.

It' my SS in Auto, and I will soon find out if in Manual too, although I believe that Manual mode is working fine.

Thanks for the response though and I might have to send it in to be looked over.

Preben

3 hours ago, pridbor said:

From what I can ascertain, I do not have a problem with the DX or manual reading of the ISO. The correct value shows up when I turn on the M7.

Yes, that may be so but, in upgrading the M7 to use the new DX reader, Leica will replace a number of electronic parts and, as part of that process, give the camera a proper examination and likely fix any residual electronic problems. At the very least, if you are charged to repair or replace any faulty parts, the overall service cost would likely be considerably lower if that repair is done as part of the free DX upgrade than if you just send the camera in to service the current fault.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

I had the DX reader replaced in 2010. It's on a 2002 M7 acquired in 2008. The reason I sent it in was not that the film iso did not register, but that the film canister would often stick and had to be pulled out with some effort. With the optical reader, the finished film roll falls right out.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/15/2019 at 2:56 PM, k0ffe said:

Hi,

How many have had issues with the M7 and what type in that case ? 

Just posted this, out of frustration, in the Customer forum:

Just went to my photographer to pick up my M7 after a complete servicing following a shutter relase blockage, and it won't work apart from the 2 manual speeds. New batteries, at first I had to press the shutter release twice: first time a tiny click, second time it would work normally; then it stopped working altohether.

Considering the money I paid, I am very unhappy; it's supposed to have been checked thoroughly... So, it's back to Leica... I wonder if they still have technicians who know how to deal with analog cameras!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had an M7 back 15 years ago or so, and put a bunch of Kodachrome through it.  Nice camera.  Never had any functional problems with it.  It tapped a wall once though, and a big chunk of silver flaked off, revealing the brass underneath, but that was the only drama with it.  I sold it after 300 or so rolls, because I was getting into more vintage gear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, octo said:

Just went to my photographer to pick up my M7 after a complete servicing following a shutter relase blockage, and it won't work apart from the 2 manual speeds. New batteries, at first I had to press the shutter release twice: first time a tiny click, second time it would work normally; then it stopped working altohether.

Considering the money I paid, I am very unhappy; it's supposed to have been checked thoroughly... So, it's back to Leica... I wonder if they still have technicians who know how to deal with analog cameras!

One of the reasons I tend to stay with mechanical cameras.  In the mid-90's, I got a new Contax G1 -- it was dead right out of the box.  Learned right at that moment to avoid electronics if I can.  I only later got an M7 because it was Leica's dark days, and some dealers were dumping the line, selling stuff at cost.  Not to say mechanical cameras don't break, they do, and sometimes it's a major failure.  So too there are some electronic cameras, like an F3, that just keep rolling along.  

Edited by TheBestSLIsALeicaflex
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/10/2020 at 5:19 PM, octo said:

Just went to my photographer to pick up my M7 after a complete servicing following a shutter release blockage, and it won't work apart from the 2 manual speeds. New batteries, at first I had to press the shutter release twice: first time a tiny click, second time it would work normally; then it stopped working altogether.

Got the M7 back after a second check with Leica, Germany; it seems to work, makes all the normal noises. I will test it this week but discounting the 2 months of Covid confinement, that makes it 7 months! 

On 2/10/2020 at 5:19 PM, octo said:

Interesting.  I had not used my M7 for several years.  Took it out of the safe.  Batteries still working.  First few releases ok. Then just a click but no release.  Pressed again and it did release.  Then nothing but the 2 mechanical releases.  Two days later tried again with fresh batteries.  First release ok. Then nothing except the 2 mechanical releases.  Guess I have to send it to Solms.

That's exactly the symptoms mine had. I had it sent to Leica, but as explained, it came back in exactly the same state; so, had to send it again with an angry note. Good luck with yours!