How many have had issues with M7s ?

k0ffe

I have 5 different m7 bodies, silver chrome, BP, ala carte, special editions etc. I frequently use 4 of the 5 and never had 1 issue with a M7 body.

Perfect & reliable camera's. Really, i love the M7 as much as my M-A.

• Like 3

I just bought one the 20th September and I seldom have issues with my Leica’s since 1990, except what we all have, sensor corrosion for instance. But now I have one: I lost my battery cap in the plane, probably my own fault because i didn’t close it tight enough and a tough landing did the rest I guess. So now I’m waiting for a replacement and ask myself why does it take so long. Apart from that I find it a sympathetic issue; I managed to put the batteries back in with a piece of cardboard from a Kodak package as a clamp to push them tight in the hole because there’s a little spring inside, and then covered with bandaid. It looks fantastic, especially because it’s a very mint version in combination with the bandaid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've had my M7 for about nine years, put a pathetically small number of rolls though it, and haven't had any issues at all. Mine was secondhand, so I'm not sure how much use it saw, although the plating was in mint condition when I bought it.

The leatherette is starting to peel at the top plate in one place, but this is cosmetic.

Had mine for nearly 12 years now. Wow. Anyway, no issues apart from a slight mis-alignment vertically, which was fixed perfectly by Solms (as it was then). 

It was my first Leica and I chose it above the MP at the time. It was a tough choice. It was second-hand but so unused that Leica put a brand new warranty (5 year Passport) on it. I now have 2x MP, M7 and M240 and, if someone were to make me choose to keep only one, it would be the M7. 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Film rewind stuck/damaged at the beginning of two photo projects, some costly repair (internal damage). Too long ago, cannot remember what exactly it was. Lovely cameras otherwise (much preferred it over the M6). I would probably use one again if I was still shooting 35mm film (or a Contax G2).

Edited by Peter_S

On 10/15/2019 at 6:28 PM, Matlock said:

Unless, of course, you listen to the prophets of doom that frequent these forums.

It seems like that because people will ask questions and report issues they are having. Not many people post about their camera having no problems, there would be many more posts if they did. 🙂

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ianman said:

It seems like that because people will ask questions and report issues they are having. Not many people post about their camera having no problems, there would be many more posts if they did. 🙂

Ok let’s do that. Is there a thread ‘I love my M7’ ? Nope, I’ll start it then

I was not being sarcastic at all. I’m very happy with my M7, although the expression ‘I love...’, as often used for most M’s here, sounds sarcastic to me in the first place.
Thanks, I’ll post mine

• Like 2

Not a prophet of doom but at some point the M7 will no longer be supported by Leica service and electronic issues will most likely become unrepairable, rather like the meter in the M6TTL, or any of the R models which rely on electronics.

Yes, most will carry on working fine, but IF you have a problem it will almost certainly be the end of your M7. That said, Leica should support it for at least 9 years having recently discontinued the camera.

2 hours ago, ianman said:

If that is what they do then it is extremely helpful. Sadly there a lot of people (not just on the Leica forums) who use these to "have a go" without any real purpose.

1 hour ago, earleygallery said:

Not a prophet of doom but at some point the M7 will no longer be supported by Leica service and electronic issues will most likely become unrepairable, rather like the meter in the M6TTL, or any of the R models which rely on electronics.

Yes, most will carry on working fine, but IF you have a problem it will almost certainly be the end of your M7. That said, Leica should support it for at least 9 years having recently discontinued the camera.

9 years is quite cheap, if you see that most of the LUF-members have renewed their digital M a few times in 12 years, since the release of the M8.

• Like 1

I sent mine in in 2009 for optical reader and had the finder updated to MP finder. Solms replaced one of the printed circuit boards without explaining why. I sent it back a year later as the finder window had tiny bubbles developing. No problems at all since. A workhorse.

7 hours ago, ianman said:

What would you call it then? I know what I would but I would probably get banned if I wrote it.

I just made a proposal to tell positive stories about M7 as a response to your correct observation that there is a disproportionate amount of posts about complaints or worries of products on internet in general. Not every quote with reply is meant oppositional either. 
(I’m not a native speaker, so sorry if I was unclear)

Edited by otto.f