Enjoying my R lenses with my Sony E camera

SocialKonstruct

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Using a combination of a Leica-R to Canon-EF and Canon-EF to Sony-E mount, I really enjoying using my old school Summicron-R 50mm f2 lens on my Sony A7 II camera body.

With focus peaking it's very easy to use and a lot easier to find than an old school Leica DMR kit :D

Any other Leica-R to Sony body users here?

I have been using Leica R lenses on Sony mirrorless since the Sony Nex5n was released, back in 2011.

Currently I'm using them on a recently acquired Sony A7R IV.  It's amazing how well 20+ year old lenses hold up on 61MP sensors.

It isn't a perfect experience though.  You have to ensure you use very good quality R->E adapters and - let's face it - the Leica SL is a much nicer experience.

• Like 1

I'm using my R-lenses on a A7 mk. II for approx. 4 years now with Novoflex R-to-E-mount Adapter. Overall, I am happy with this configuration. Internal sensor stabilization and EVF magnification is a great feature wrt manual focussing. Got used to some of the not so great features of A7.
Currently; I'm considering to buy one of the latest A7 models, probably A7R mk. IV or mk. III. Wont't buy SL, even if it was less expensive than Sony.

11 hours ago, AZN said:

I have been using Leica R lenses on Sony mirrorless since the Sony Nex5n was released, back in 2011.

Currently I'm using them on a recently acquired Sony A7R IV.  It's amazing how well 20+ year old lenses hold up on 61MP sensors.

It isn't a perfect experience though.  You have to ensure you use very good quality R->E adapters and - let's face it - the Leica SL is a much nicer experience.

I love the R lenses on sony cameras. I'm using the R IV too.

What adapter are you using?

1 hour ago, ulluru said:

What adapter are you using?

The Japanese made "Rayqual" Leica R lens to Sony E body adapter:

https://shop.cameraquest.com/sony-alpha/nex-e-mount-lens-adapters/rayqual-leica-r-lens-to-sony-e/nex/

... although I bought mine off eBay.  

Before that I used the appropriate Novoflex and Fotodiox adapters, but I had to shim them to ensure the lens to sensor distance was exact.  I looked into this at the time and both manufacturers claimed they made their mounts a little short to guarantee infinity focus.  

Yet neither Leica (R-to-L adapter) or Rayqual do this, so I suspect N and F really do it to keep manufacturing costs down.

Why go to this level of fuss?  Because some of the R lenses have floating elements, so when you close-focus them the corner image quality deteriorates significantly if the lens elements are not at the exact distance they were designed for.

Edited by AZN
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Have been using a Novoflex adapter for my R lenses on A7III and A6500. IBIS and focus-peaking on both cameras make for enjoyable photography.

Test shot of 21-35mm Vario Elmar R at 21mm on A7III.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Keith (M)
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, T.E. said:

This is the article I read around the time I noticed I was having issues with the corner image quality from my Sony ARii adapted Elmarit-R 28mm v2 lens.

Followed the instructions and shimmed the Fotodiox adapter I had at the time, fixed the corner problems straight away.  Did the same for the Novoflex adapter.  Then bit the bullet and bought 2 Rayqual adapters, one for Leica R to Sony E and another which is Nikon F to Sony E.  Haven't looked back since 😃

Was going to get the Rayqual Leica M to Sony E adapter, but thought better of it because I already have the v5 Hawks Hellicoid adapter, which has a screw to allow precise infinity adjustment:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1113921-REG/hawks_hkslm2semhv5_leica_m_lens_for.html

I always thought this was dodgy, but a week ago I shot some multi-frame panoramic landscapes using the Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 Ultron and the newly acquired Sony A7RIV.  8x shots, each 60 MP and at infinity each are razor "count every leaf on every tree" sharp.  

For the finished product we're talking 220 MP finished panoramas here 😃