My Leica & 4 lenses were stolen

Michael R

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

'Similar Content" it says below Hutchinson entry. Really?

This is an interesting thread 

had my M7 with a summilux 75/1.4 stolen this past October on a trip; it was painful since the M7 I had purchased new from BH years back, it was in  "perfect" condition. My copy of the 75-lux was also brilliant. Interesting side aspect: the thieves didn't even bother also taking my macbookpro too

The upside was: my US homeowners insurance paid very quickly with no fuzz (Statefarm), even without me having the gear separately insured. One week after the incident I had 8k back in my account (the M7 is now "replenished")

but ... If my stolen gear resurfaces on eBay, what is indeed the best way to proceed?

the US is a big country - I seriously doubt that if the gear shows up on eBay, say LA area seller, that buying it and then calling the LA police department will do any good. Plus the seller might not be the thief. 

Maybe there is a way to put consumer pressure on eBay, not necessarily legal pressure, to have them take some action. If there would be an officially recognized registry of stolen Leica gear

could we on this forum come up with a "best practices" for folks with stolen gear and items resurfacing on eBay?

there are surely legally educated people (US & EU) here on the L forums 

The upside was: my US homeowners insurance paid very quickly with no fuzz (Statefarm), even without me having the gear separately insured. One week after the incident I had 8k back in my account (the M7 is now "replenished")

but ... If my stolen gear resurfaces on eBay, what is indeed the best way to proceed?

When your insurance company pays you for your claim, they have in essence "bought" the right or responsibility to recover the stolen M7 and 75/1.4 lens.  The ball is in their court.  Insurance companies have investigators as well as fraud and theft recovery people to resolve these situations once they pay off a theft claim.

• Like 1