My Leica & 4 lenses were stolen

Michael R

Sorry for the situation you're going thru. Must be very frustrating to see your camera on your screen on an add... But is being noisy the right strategy? Now whoever placed your gear on eBay knows he's been spotted, and will try to resale it somewhere else, and probably not on the internet... In Europe at least, the police does have jurisdiction to obtain from eBay - and in no time - all the details including IP address etc. - of any seller. They even answer the offers to catch the guys with what looks like a regular transaction. If you see your gear reappear somewhere, you might want to stay stealth and let the police work on it...

• Like 2

I would have made sure I was the highest bidder and then tried to collect and pay in person.........turning up with the police (if they'd bother to assist like that, probably not in most cases).

Ebay aren't the police. You say your gear was stolen, it's an alleged crime and it's possible that the ebay seller is acting in good faith. Just playing devils advocate but data protection laws exist for a reason. It's very upsetting no doubt seeing your gear up for sale but there's not much else you can do than report it.

If you have insurance and make a claim then the gear becomes the insurers property. I'd pass the information onto them.

5 minutes ago, Reini said:

In Europe, it is a law that you are definitely entitled to your things without paying anything. No matter who buys it.
Ebay can also be denounced for receiving of stolen goods.

Ebay haven't received anything. Not sure it can be classed has handling stolen goods either. I think all they can do is remove the advert.

If the OP had bid on the items and won, he can then request the contact details for the seller that are registered with ebay, although in doing this they also notify your details to the seller. That said if the thief was the seller the details are probably false anyway.

Edited by earleygallery

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, earleygallery said:

Ebay aren't the police. You say your gear was stolen, it's an alleged crime and it's possible that the ebay seller is acting in good faith. Just playing devils advocate but data protection laws exist for a reason. It's very upsetting no doubt seeing your gear up for sale but there's not much else you can do than report it.

Well... Being good faith or not does not change anything: the goods for sale are stollen gear. Whoever is the seller, good faith or not, and in Europe at least, the camera still belongs to the legit owner. I would be surprised - seen how long ago it was stollen - that a "good faith" seller would put it on eBay after he bought it just few hours ago. At least he would have to explain that to the police. 

Edited by snooper

On 10/18/2019 at 8:40 PM, dkmoore said:

The FBI couldn’t get access to Apple’s security protocols for the iPhone to track terrorists post 911. The local police will fair much worse with eBay I suspect. 

What a shame to have your gear stolen. Keeping my fingers crossed for a miracle for you. 

I think Apple's view on security is very interesting. They won't unlock a phone for the FBI but they move all the China opperations servers to a Chinese run company where the state will have full access to them.

On 10/15/2019 at 1:52 AM, Michael R said:
Sadly, my Leica M10-P and 4 lenses were stolen in Los Angeles California, and I wanted you to have the items and serial numbers in case they are somehow sold to you. The thieves do not really appreciate what they have and I'm hoping time will be on my side. The items have been on eBay and the attached image is from their ad...... I have all receipts and serial #sand police report! 

Thank you for your help!

• Leica M10 P, black #5849339
  • 50mm Summilux silver #04753690
  • 90mm Summicron silver #3688728
  • 35mm Summilux black #4721286
  • 28mm Elmarit Black #11677
  • Leica Visoflex #18767
  • Leica Adapter #14652

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sorry for what you are going through Michael. Has anything happened?

On 10/15/2019 at 2:52 AM, Michael R said:
Sadly, my Leica M10-P and 4 lenses were stolen in Los Angeles California, and I wanted you to have the items and serial numbers in case they are somehow sold to you. The thieves do not really appreciate what they have and I'm hoping time will be on my side. The items have been on eBay and the attached image is from their ad...... I have all receipts and serial #sand police report! 

Thank you for your help!

• Leica M10 P, black #5849339
  • 50mm Summilux silver #04753690
  • 90mm Summicron silver #3688728
  • 35mm Summilux black #4721286
  • 28mm Elmarit Black #11677
  • Leica Visoflex #18767
  • Leica Adapter #14652

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yes, I too had my kit stolen, in fact I was mugged in the lobby of a Marriott hotel in Tarragona  Spain.  They sprayed me with some thick liquid as I came out of the lift.   The next thing I saw was my Leica kit disappearing out of the door including, a M-P type 240 camera body, a 75mm, 35mm, 21mm lenses plus Visoflex, 3 batteries a Sony pocket camera and all my memory cards.   Nether the hotel or the police showed any concern at my loss or my experience.  However, there is an happy ending to my story, not only did my insurance company come up good but also, I really did not like the type 240 and its loss enabled me to buy a M10, which I love.

• Haha 1

Really sad to read this.

I guess the best you can do is to try to locate the thief yourself (by pretending you are a buyer).
Suppose you win the bid, and you refuse to pay. Then what?

I guess it depends on the local police policy. In a small community there is more chance for action to be undertaken by the police.
In a big city, probably you just have to fill in a form...

I'm not sure about insurance.
Here in Belgium, insurance-companies are not easy when it comes to reimbursement.

On 10/29/2019 at 4:18 PM, artgodmyk said:

Yes, I too had my kit stolen, in fact I was mugged in the lobby of a Marriott hotel in Tarragona  Spain.  They sprayed me with some thick liquid as I came out of the lift.   The next thing I saw was my Leica kit disappearing out of the door including, a M-P type 240 camera body, a 75mm, 35mm, 21mm lenses plus Visoflex, 3 batteries a Sony pocket camera and all my memory cards.   Nether the hotel or the police showed any concern at my loss or my experience.  However, there is an happy ending to my story, not only did my insurance company come up good but also, I really did not like the type 240 and its loss enabled me to buy a M10, which I love.

Sorry for emitting serial numbers which are:  Leica M-P Type 240 camera body,  Serial No4905629 lens,  SUPER-ELMAR-M f3.4 21mm ASPH lens Serial No 4315567,  SUMMICRON f2 35mm ASPH lens Serial No 4581585,  APO-SUMMICRON-M f2 75mm ASPH lens Serial No 4077506.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 12:18 PM, artgodmyk said:

If this crap keeps up, we will always be able to recognize a fellow M user when traveling in a foreign country.  They will be the ones wearing -

1:  A locked Pelican case with a backpack harness that contains their M kit;

2:  A police riot helmet to protect against being beat in the head with a piece of water pipe and robbed;

3:  A set of safety goggles to ward off robbery by pepper spray.

Edited by Herr Barnack

• 1 month later...

In 2008 I had my House burgled in Bradford, Yorkshire England and they stole my Sony SLR and lens. I reported to the police. Next I saw it was on eBay, I contacted the police who asked if I was sure it was my camera, as I had the boxes and serial numbers I could prove it. The advised me to bid on it, then when I had won it get the address to collect the camera from. The auction ended on a Saturday night, I won the the camera and informed the police, who went to the address and found not only my camera but a whole cupboard full of cameras. Nevertheless to say I got my camera back. It meant I did the work checking eBay but with a positive result in the end. 

• Thanks 1