Just got an M-A

RobM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bought on eBay, described as being in "mint" condition, I have to say that assessment does seem correct. Everything works beautifully - what a joy to hold! But I'm only half-way through its first roll, which I plan to get developed in a one-hour service tomorrow, just to satisfy myself that everything is working as it should. 

Here it is with the Voigtlander VC Meter II, which I had been using on my IIIg with good success. The lens is the 7Artisans amazing 50mm 1.1 (check out Thorsten Overgaard's highly positive review of that). 

The only odd things are to be found in the Instructions booklet:

"As with any ready to use film, the leader must be trimmed" - really? I managed to install a roll without trimming the leader. I thought trimming leaders went out with, what, the M4? Not that I have an M4. 

"If a film is not correctly attached to the cartridge spool, e.g. when using film sold by length..." Sold by length? I thought that went out decades ago. Am I wrong?

Whatever, I'm delighted to add the M-E to my small Leica collection of IIIg and M Monochrom. I wanted the best film rangefinder I could buy, and believe it or not, I sent my (used) Q back to Leica after having it for just two weeks, and used the money for that to pay for the M-A. The Q is a great camera, with a stunning lens, but I just can't get along with digital colour anymore. I'll largely be shooting Portra 400 with the M-A, to give me a change from the wonderful b&w of the Monochrom. 

Hopefully I'll have the good news to report tomorrow that the film is properly exposed. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Stealth3kpl said:

I think it means the leader must be trimmed as they always are with purchased 36 exp rolls. But you can buy bulk film still, in which case you will be rolling your own so you must ensure you trim the leader.

Pete

I've probably put 100 rolls through my M-A and never trimmed a leader.  

• Like 3

Okay, the camera works - got the test roll back. Disappointed in the exposures - but realised I had stupidly forgot to compensate for the ND filter on the lens. So, my stupidity aside, things look promising. 

Not the best of my photography, but it was just a quick test roll. So, what do you photograph with the most expensive camera you've ever owned? A paper bag, of course!

Edited by RobM
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

May only be a simple paper bag but, to me the shot looks well composed ( either by design or not?) and quite arty. I like the contrast between light and dark. 

It's a picture I can stair at....  and wonder what's in the tupperware container 😉

• Like 1

Viv - been there, done that! 🙂

tamas - yes, some thought went into it, but not all the shots I took with this roll. This was the best of the bunch, both in content and execution. Some of the others have gone straight in the bin! 🙂

4 hours ago, Stealth3kpl said:

Do you mean the end of your film is squared off unlike a purchased roll?

Pete

I use Tri-X and the leader is squared off.  But regardless, I don't think there's any real need to trim the leader with M cameras.  My understanding is that this was only the case on screw mount cameras and the statement in the M manual is a hold over from that era.  I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong about that.  

Edited by logan2z
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, logan2z said:

I use Tri-X and the leader is squared off.  But regardless, I don't think there's any real need to trim the leader with M cameras.  My understanding is that this was only the case on screw mount cameras and the statement in the M manual is a hold over from that era.  I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong about that.  

That's interesting. I roll my own and it is a bit of a pain cutting a leader, especially when out and about and I find I've picked up a roll which missed the leader cutting stage. Thanks.

Pete

18 hours ago, logan2z said:

I use Tri-X and the leader is squared off.

Yes, but there is a difference having the leader squared and not having a leader at all. I think that may be a point of confusion here.

When using bulk film, the user needs to cut a leader at the start of each strip of film. The corners of this leader can be square or trimmed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah, yes. I was taking Logan2z to mean he inserts his film without a leader (squared off a little like the film in the image below).

In my first post I was suggesting that the manual means if you are using bulk film, you should shape a leader with some scissors rather than try to put through a squared off end like that below. I wasn't suggesting you need to reshape the leader of a purchased roll of film (as pre-M Leica users do)!

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl