50 Noctilux vs new Z-mount NOCT Nikkor size...

james.liam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For those moaning about the weight and size of the lens, here's food for thought (courtesy, Leica Rumors):

For the full post. Image generated from the website, Camera Size.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by james.liam
  • Haha 4

Yes, the beauty of the M-lenses are that they are all small, relatively speaking. This holds even for the Noctiluxes. 28mm-Lux-M vs e.g. Zeiss Otus 28mm f1.4 shares the same story. And for convenience, I certainly would pick 28mm-Lux-M over the Otus (talking from experience). But sometimes the Otus is a 'better' tool.

1 hour ago, darylgo said:

Is there a tripod mount on the Nikon?

Nikon has the 55mm diameter mount, shouldn't that have allowed a smaller lens (front element)?

From B&H Photo:

Weight 4.4 lb / 2000 g

Tripod mount, yes. 

Edited by helged

46 minutes ago, helged said:

Tripod mount, yes. 

Has there been a 50mm with  a mount previously? 

At 4.4 lbs I can carry two Leica M bodies, three lenses, several camera straps and half-cases.  

• Haha 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had my eyes on this lens until I found out it's manual focus.  I own and use a Z7 frequently but I'm almost certain I will not buy any Z lenses.  The 16mm flange focal distance makes their lenses useless in any other system (adding adapter).  I hate Z lenses the most is their OLED display, it's a new can of worms, expensive yet no improvements to IQ.  Some other forum says "oh my, the lovely OLED is perfect for astrophotography", what? like 2% of all photographers benefit from it?  I might consider the Z 85mm f/1.2s if there ain't OLED + lighter and around the same price as the 85mm f/1.4G. 

This Nikon Noct, has a very long throw focus ring which is the opposite design compare to Leica's Noct.  I think I prefer shorter throw for faster focus Leica lens.  Overall Nikon Z camera is pretty good and versatile but their lenses are complete disasters IMO.  Those external zoom lenses are terrible too.

I see.  The link was for a different lens, but this is what was being referred to:

So, the camera doesn’t give you this info through the viewfinder?  When, exactly, do you take your eye from the viewfinder and look at the lens barrel?  Odd place for it.  I’ve got rather used to the little LCD screen on the topdeck of the SL. I think, in manual mode, this info is in the viewfinder of my other cameras - can’t recall which.

That’s a beast of a lens ...

There's also an OLED panel on the camera, and settings are available through VF, as I recall after a brief in-store test.

The zoom I linked was the first of the Z lenses to have the panel, I think.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

4 hours ago, james.liam said:

Then what's the point of having it on the lens barre, l wonder?

Yet something else to break and become too costly to repair or in time, unavailable for replacement.

Perhaps Nikon had the old fashioned idea that an f/0.95 lens would be used in the dark? I know this goes against all right thinking individuals who know ultra fast lenses are only made to achieve acres of creamy bokeh with the odd hint of something in focus, but Nikon cling to the outdated idea that professional photographers need extreme lenses to record in extreme conditions. 

• Like 4

The extra 8 mills in Nikon's FL make the aperture 8.42 mm wider than Leica 50/0.95, and it is a big chunk of extra area to cover. Explains some of the weight and size.

The rest can be explained in that mainstream companies are afraid of releasing lenses with character as they fear the online haters. Leica is accustomed to them by now! 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 250swb said:

Perhaps Nikon had the old fashioned idea that an f/0.95 lens would be used in the dark? I know this goes against all right thinking individuals who know ultra fast lenses are only made to achieve acres of creamy bokeh with the odd hint of something in focus, but Nikon cling to the outdated idea that professional photographers need extreme lenses to record in extreme conditions. 

You're probably right as the original NOCT was devised with the dark and astrophotography in mind. Not an eyelash or a blade of grass.

4 hours ago, hossegor said:

its huge but i am sure it will be better than the Noctilux in terms of IQ 

One would hope.

1 hour ago, mike3996 said:

The extra 8 mills in Nikon's FL make the aperture 8.42 mm wider than Leica 50/0.95, and it is a big chunk of extra area to cover. Explains some of the weight and size.

The rest can be explained in that mainstream companies are afraid of releasing lenses with character as they fear the online haters. Leica is accustomed to them by now! 😎

The original NOCT has character to spare. And so does the newer 58/1.4 AF.

On 10/14/2019 at 9:48 PM, Jeff S said:

Maybe nothing more than marketing against Zeiss (e.g., Batis) lenses, which I think introduced the feature.  

Jeff

None of my Batis OLED readouts are close to accurate (infinity when I do astrophotography is usually about 16 ft. on the 18mm OLED for example..) I ignore them (put tape over them)

The latest Nikon Z lenses has all been phenomenal, especially in regards being almost completely free of CA.
The Noctilux ASPH is horrible in this regard. It's CA performance is extremely poor.

Then again, both lenses are too big and heavy for what they are if you ask me. But I'm sure the Noct will be optically far better than the Noctilux ASPH.

• Like 2