Whats your SLR System in addition to your M8

sharookh

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nikon D2x and Pentax K10. Bought the K10 as a street shooter when my M8 was stuck in Solms getting fixed; with the Limited lenses, it's not much bigger than an M8 and essentially as fast. The D2x has an 18-200 VR mounted on it virtually full time (effective 27-300) and I think it's an exceptional lens even though it compromises in several directions. Not a street shooter, though. If somebody in the states offered to trade me a semi-mint M8 body for the like-new Pentax, four lenses and a bit of cash ($1500?) I'd probably do it...8-)

JC

The first serious camera system that I purchased is the Olympus E1 with many of its accessories. I still have the Oly in my arsenal of tools. Since I purchased the M8 and several lenses, however, I have become "mesmerized" and "addicted" to using only the M8 at present. I will admit that there are times that my Olympus zoom lens would bring me closer to a subject. Or the auto-focus would be much easier when taking pictures of my "non-stop" four year old grandson. Yet a desire to understand photography and produce photos based on MY skills and MY eyesight (rather than on the automatic responses of the fully automatic camera) is a very strong influence in my selecting the M8 for most of my shooting. I guess I love to learn and have learned to love the simplicity of the M8 operation. Using it teaches me a lot about photography and .................. I get great satisfaction from the results.

D2X (with older D100 for backup) a ton of glass from 10.5 thru 600, and boy does all this stuff weigh a ton! Have been totally mesmerized by the M8 and the whole rangefinder experience/learning curve and getting increasing satisfaction in the b&w prints I am making.

Robert

Two newspapers and photo studio, therefore:

DCS 14n,D2H/D2X/D200 plus all fast 200F2VR, 70-200F2.8VR, 300F2.8VR, 200-400F4VR 28-70F2.8, 105F2DC, 135F2DC, 28F2.8, 24F2.8, 35F2, 50F1.4, 85F1.4.

DIGILUX2 and PANASONIC DMC-L1 for quick grab

Mamiya 645AF+Kodak DCS Pro+ several Mamiya Lenses

Hasselblad 500, Mamiya 7II, Fuji GA 645, Arca Swiss 4x5, Tachihara 4x5 (75mm,105mm,210mm)

Replaced damaged Imacon V96C with Leica M8, never to go back again.

Hope it helps...

Pentax K10D with too many lenses.

I have all the Pentax FA limited primes, which are very good quality. I will keep the K10D for macro work (I have all the extension tubes, helicoids, and reverse rings I need), and for use with my Sigma "Bigma" (50 ~ 500 mm) when I need some serious reach. I do have the new DA* zoom on order (coming on the 11th), which will give me a completely weather-sealed system that will function as my "monsoon camera".

But the M8 is the camera I grab when I'm going out these days.

5D and 20Da...

From the 20Da -NGC7000 - The North American Nebula...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Before I got my M6 in 1988 or so, I had Nikons (F3s, FA, FM) and a traditional Hassleblad. A friend still has the FA and 'Blad, having intercepted their being traded to Ray Ng at the old Ken Hansen in NYC. Within the last month, unable to resist a good deal, I got a Digilux 3 to go with my M8 (new in March) and M6, both from Ray at his PhotoHabitat in NYC.

I thought about a D200 but what tipped me to the Digilux 3, besides a certain unreasoning affection for Leica and what it stands for, is using the now inexpensive R lenses on it (and having them for the R10 perhaps).