Anyone help me with some knowledge please

UltraDan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I’m looking at the voigtlander 21mm color scopar f4  in m mount. Would this lens focus on my m4-p using the rangefinder patch or would it be purely guesswork to focus? Also, as it’s 21mm my framelines only go to 28 mm so would I just use the 28mm framelines and have extra width in my shots? 

thanks,

Dan

I use on myM4-P an Elmarit 2.8/21 and a Zeiss Distagon 4/18 without additional viewfinder. With a little experience and several test shots I can manage to "understand" what I finally will get on the film. I know from others that they took a Voigtlaender Bessa 15mm viewfinder (old type) and calibrated this viewfinder with small stripes of adhesive tape by themselves for 18 resp. 21mm lenses. Should not be to difficult.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, the 21 has a rangefinder coupling and it will focus fine on your camera.  Voightlander did make an early copy without a rangefinder coupling.  I believe it was the screw mount version of their 21 but to my knowledge all M mount versions were rangefinder coupled.  I think the aux finder is well worth having.  They can usually be found on eBay and Voightlander makes a 21/25 version or 21 only.

The 21f4 Voightlander lens is wonderful-small and very sharp.  It works great on all film M's and the only criticism is smearing of the corners on full frame digital cameras.  I had one but gave it to a young photographer to put on his M3.  Nothing wrong with the lens but I don't get on with 21 and wider focal lengths.

Edited by ktmrider2
More info

1 hour ago, ktmrider2 said:

....The 21f4 Voightlander lens is wonderful....

The CV 21mm f4 is one of the worst lenses I have ever owned.  My experience is that it is not ‘sharp’ and flares badly with nothing much to commend it except for it’s compact size. 

If I were in the market for another 21mm I’d rather spend more money on a Leica or Zeiss  lens.

Edited by Ouroboros

2 hours ago, ktmrider2 said:

Yes, the 21 has a rangefinder coupling and it will focus fine on your camera.  Voightlander did make an early copy without a rangefinder coupling.  I believe it was the screw mount version of their 21 but to my knowledge all M mount versions were rangefinder coupled.  I think the aux finder is well worth having.  They can usually be found on eBay and Voightlander makes a 21/25 version or 21 only.

The 21f4 Voightlander lens is wonderful-small and very sharp.  It works great on all film M's and the only criticism is smearing of the corners on full frame digital cameras.  I had one but gave it to a young photographer to put on his M3.  Nothing wrong with the lens but I don't get on with 21 and wider focal lengths.

Nope. 21 is RF coupled since first version. 25 first version is called snapshot, because it has no RF.

CV CS 21/4 has centering problems sometimes.

8 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

The CV 21mm f4 is one of the worst lenses I have ever owned.  My experience is that it is not ‘sharp’ and flares badly with nothing much to commend it except for it’s compact size. 

If I were in the market for another 21mm I’d rather spend more money on a Leica or Zeiss  lens.

I disagree completely with this assessment. It’s a fantastic lens for all film applications and is great for digital B&W. 

Fact is the CV 21/4 flares a lot and is a bit soft at f/4 but otherwise it is a very good lens indeed especially on closeups (link). The later CV 21/3.5 has less flare and is even sharper but has more CA than the 21/4. Also the 21/3.5 doesn't suffer from color shifts at edges and corners on digital RFs contrary to the 21/4 which remains unsurpassed for its small size among 21mm M lenses AFAIK. FWIW.