Leica R 24 2.8 Filter size with ring adaptor

Henry Taylor

Series 8 filter, some choices here

Some people had tried E67 ring (without glass) first,  then screw flat standard E67 with glass in, maybe some vignetting with thick filter.

Maybe you need the right hood which retains the Series 8 filter.

Edited by a.noctilux

According to the Leica Lens Book (a slim roughly A4 sized paperback at one time published by Leica, containing details of M and R lenses), and as Noctilux implies above, you need a Series 8 filter which is held in place by the lens hood. Have you got the correct hood with the lens?

Edited by masjah

You need the Leica 12506 or 12523 lens hood and a Series VIII filter. 

I never bothered with a UV filter when I had this lens. I used it with the lens hood almost exclusively and occasionally fitted a polarizing filter .. the lens hood has a wheel on it that allows you to rotate a polarizing filter for the correct orientation. 

G

I use an e60  B+W slim Käsemann polarising filter with the 12523 hood on my ROM 24 Elmarit-R. The vignetting is minimal. Now the B+W filter does not rotate with the rotation wheel like a series VIII filter does, you have to poke your fingers in to rotate it. OTOH, the series VIII pola filters I found were all quite elderly and thus about 1.5EV darker than the modern Käsemann type polarising filter. I also found that rotating the Käsemann type filters does not seem to make a whole lot of difference, other than reflections off water. Really for non-water shots, you could only detect the rotation by watching the shutter speed on my R9's display, as it was not detectable by my eyes at least. I was therefore happy not to bother to rotate the filter. I just leave it at the midday position all day.

The downside, especially if I am using narrow exposure latitude reversal film, is that using a polaroid filter on the 24mm Elmarit results in rather dark blue skies. It can look dramatic but best not done in every shot. I am very glad I used the pola filter in India with the Kodak ProImage 100 I opted to use in my R9. This film is disappointingly low colour saturation, with a rather 1950's Ektacolor look to it and I will not be using it again. Without the polarising filter, it would have been even more disappointing for middle of the day shots. It reproduces caucasian skin tones nearly as well as Portra but is rather blocky on darker skin tones - just what you don't need for India. I wish I had stuck to my usual Ektar 100 or Ekatachrome E100. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw